SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What to do and where to eat in Kemah, TX
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do and where to eat in Kemah, TX Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted
I am going to visit my brother for a few days in the Kemah area. Any suggestions as to where to visit?

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
I always loved the Cadillac bar and grill in Houston, looks like they have a boardwalk area with one of those and several other places to eat.

Landry's Seafood is always good when I go there , but haven't been to Kemah.

http://www.kemahboardwalk.com/dining.asp

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
My wife and I had a lovely dinner at Sundance Grill II in Kemah. Sat on a deck overlooking marina slips. Seafood but also some Bavarian and Austrian food on the menu as well.

We ate many breakfasts lunch and dinners at the Classic Cafe on E. Nasa Parkway. Pretty good everything and some astoundingly good pies.

For the most casual eats, Hoagie Ranch Emporium in Kemah makes outstanding subs. The kind of place with about a thousand astronaut autograph pics on the wall. Evidently it's an institution.

We didn't find anything good at that Kemah boardwalk. It all looked like typical tourist traps. Crappy food for top dollar prices.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7251 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Up the road is NASA, Johnson Space Flight Center, a must visit.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The Kemah places are okay, but chains.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
The Kemah places are okay, but chains.
Would you know if Pe-Te's is still open on Old Galveston Road? It was pretty close to Ellington Field. It was a SE Texas/Louisiana-style cafe with the best red beans & rice I ever had. Also stuff like fried alligator and shrimp dishes. It was very popular with JSC employees and had lots of autographed astronaut photos.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anarion
posted Hide Post
Pe-Te's went out of business over 20 years ago - it's now an H&H music. There's a pretty good Cajun/ New Orleanian place on Clear Lake City Blvd just on the other side of the railroad tracks that run along Highway 3 (Old Galveston Rd).

Really good burger place called Stomps in Baycliff about 1 1/2 miles south of Kemah on Hwy146. Don't bother going to Tookies...is a pale shadow of its former self since it was sold to the owners of T-bone Tom's back in 2009.

==============================
On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory.
Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Posts: 3106 | Location: Houston | Registered: December 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Ok glad you axed!

I lived in Seabrook for a few years so this is what you do.

On Kirby is Bay Area meat market go there for BBQ sangwhiches, Ham, Brisket, sausage, etc. Grab a chicken and steaks for home grilling.

T-Bone Toms in Kema for the grilled pork chop!!! But everything else there is good too. This is my favorite Kema place to eat, don't get there enough. Guy Fiery did a show from this place, good eating. Did I mention get the grilled pork chop!!!

Pizza at Marios if the widening of 146 hasn't already made them close.

Tookies for hamburgers, same warning on the widening of 146, may have impacted it.

The Aquarium at the Kema boardwalk for a nice seafood experience.

There used to be a place that sold beignets upstairs at the boardwalk or the marble slab for desserts.

Hoagies Ranch was a fun place for sandwhiches surrounded in authentic astronaut stuff. Very cool local place. Its on Marina Bay Dr.

There is a secret locals only place that serves oysters, cold beer, etc. that is supposed to be fantastic but I never cracked the code on that one, my wife doesn't eat them. You might ask around.

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Go up 45 to 646 and go to Little Daddy's Gumbo Bar (also one in Galveston).

http://www.littledaddysgumbobar.com/league-city

ABSOLUTELY amazing gumbo! Cool

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High Drag, Low Speed!
Picture of Heatmiser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tookies for hamburgers, same warning on the widening of 146, may have impacted it.

Ate at Tookies in October. Highly recommend for a great burger. Unless there was road work done since then it is good to go.

“Sons of Bitches! Take this blindfold off and let me see my bride!"

Posts: 667 | Location: Central Arkansas | Registered: April 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
Outriggers if the weather is nice. You can sit outside and watch the boats pass from Clear Lake to the gulf.
The Bayview Duck for some British grub and beer mixology.
Stomps for burgers.
Gilhooleys for some pretty good seafood, but no guns, no one under 18, and cash only.

I stay away from the boardwalk, but there are high-end (Landrys etc.) places there.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
If you want really good food with a nice atmosphere and view, try the Topwater Grill just south of Kemah.

http://www.topwatergrill.com

https://www.google.com/maps/@2...-fo100!7i8000!8i4000

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1164 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I ate at this place several years ago and enjoyed it. Will probably go back. I also ate at Landry's on the boardwalk and it was good. I think we had a drink at T-bone Toms but did not eat there. May try that this time.

quote:
Originally posted by ftttu:
If you want really good food with a nice atmosphere and view, try the Topwater Grill just south of Kemah.

http://www.topwatergrill.com

https://www.google.com/maps/@2...-fo100!7i8000!8i4000

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
For weekend breakfast. Classic Café is pretty good. They serve beignets then as well. Other times it's okay, but not fantastic.

T-Bone Tom's does a lot of outdoor entertainment.

Most of the places on the Boardwalk are kind of pricey tourist trap chains. Okay if you want to grab a drink on a sunny day and watch the boats go by. Sometimes folks do things to get a reaction from the crowd. My favorite I did was to sail by while 4 women danced on deck to "Brick House". That got a reaction.

A friend of the MUCH better half swears by the "Irish Collada" they serve at the Flying Dutchman in Kemah. Never tried one and I think it's kind of a sweet creamy drink. If that's your taste, she speaks highly of it. Never tried one so I don't know.

In Seabrook is a nice Thai place called Merlion. Best to make reservations. They do think highly of themselves (I once saw them turn someone away because they didn't have reservations, while the place was near empty), but the food is decent.

If you go down I-45 to Dickinson (FM-517) there is a place called Marais. It's right on the bayou, and Dickinson is one of those places that got hit HARD by Harvey. I'm pretty sure they're back up. But I cannot recommend that place enough. They make a good martini. Great food. I think they open at 4:00 in the afternoon. Valet parking only. And I've seen the line out in the street a lot. Either make reservations or get there early.

Used to live in San Leon, right around the corner from Gilhooley's. You MUST get the Oysters Gilhooley (or better yet, the Shrimphooley, oyster with a small shrimp on top). But go when it's nice enough to sit outside. It's a major smoke odor inside.

Just down the road (less than a mile) from Gilhooley's is Top Water Grill. Also a great place.

The Gumbo Bar is real close to where I live. No view there. But the gumbo is good. Also like their fried okra as well. At random times they have beer specials that are good.

Oh, and traffic in Kemah on a weekend is atrocious. I avoid it if I can. They're supposedly doing construction on Hwy 146, which should make it worse.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8350 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
The Kemah boardwalk seafood is sub par, I go there frequently with vendors. I would go to Monument Inn and get the blackened redfish with Monumental sauce (you have to ask for the sauce). Best fish around and I don’t like fish. Topwaters has a good variety of seafood. You can go down the road to Stomps for a good burger, similar to Tookies. The best BBQ around is at The Brisket House in Deer Park, trust me, I’ve tried them all. T-Bone Toms has the best chicken fried steak and it’s the lunch special on Monday. There’s a good Cajun place in Deer Park but I can’t think of the name. Johnson Space Center and Monument Inn are the only sight seeing places I can think of.

Posts: 4101 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the aquarium in kehma is a nice experience...villa capri in seabrook is good too...

Posts: 29 | Registered: March 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rebut10
posted Hide Post
Many years ago (maybe 17) I spent some time working with a few NASA and JPL engineering teams upgrading their EDA tools. Mostly ate at "chain type" locations along NASA Road (iirc). But there was a place called the Crazy Cajun down the road heading toward Kemah. It looked like it had been there forever, very "rustic"/in the rough. The food was great. Cajun, Blackened, Dirty Rice and Buckets of Cray Fish. I can't remember everything.

If it's still there give it a shot.

Live free or die...
Don't tread on me...
Molon Labe...
Take your pick.

Posts: 1235 | Location: Not on Cape Cod. | Registered: December 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. We had our first meal at Topwater. Thursday evening, T-bone Toms had all the ribs you could eat for $12.99 and they were very good. Yesterday we had lunch at Gilholeys and the fried oysters were very good.

There was a band each evening at Toms and they were all very good.

Landed at home this afternoon and it is snowing!!!