SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Grafting Roses - Anyone Know How (WITHOUT reading Internet)?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grafting Roses - Anyone Know How (WITHOUT reading Internet)? Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
I have two, one of which is not doing well. Both are hybrids.

One is Taboo other looks like a Micado (a Floribunda as i recall).

The Taboo was threes old when it transferred in 1996. In 2003 it transferred here. All San Diego west of Murry Lake (clayish). I want to graft it to the other which was new and co-located with the Taboo in 1996.

Will they flourish like the second rose (half red/yellow, half new black because it is such a deep red)?

Ideas how/when to perform?

TIA

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
My Aunt would do this around Australia Day, Jan 25th, in Australia. Late summer. And always after they had just bloomed.

She had the most prized collection of roses, colors and arrangements in the city ... Heidelberg, VIC. My aunt, the house and the roses are gone.

She had a small pair of secateurs and a pen knife for the task. She would make little incisions to the host plant above a thorn, peel it back and insert the graft, wrapping and securing with some cotton cloth for the purpose. Lots of water would follow.

I'm sorry, I don't recall much else, other than for her, it was a labor of love. I learnt a lot about roses from her, but have never tried her methods. Time is timing the process.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
My father was very avid at rose cultivation and grafting. It's been 45 years since I watched at his knee but this is what he did: He had a grafting knife which was much like a large pen knife. At the end opposite the hinge was a plastic piece the looked somewhat like a spoon. He would cut a piece from a donor plant and trim the shaft/stem until it was a sharp flat point, like a screwdriver tip. The branch of the host plant would be cut off flat, perpendicular to the length. Then a slit would be made at the face of the cut going into the branch for a half inch or so, like an arrow nock. The spoon part of the knife would be used to open the slit, and the sharp flat point of the donor plant would be inserted into the slit. Then the graft would be wrapped with a cloth or string if I recall. I can't remember if he painted the graft or put wax on it. It was necessary to make sure the donor and host branches were nearly the same thickness.

At any rate; he was quite successful with this. He raised several dozen fine and rare roses for decades. After the death of my parents, I rented the house out to some folks. One day I came by to get the rent and saw the roses were missing. They proudly said they ripped them out and made the lawn bigger. How's bout that shit! Cool, huh!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: greco,

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some you will recall I have posted about being collateral damage in my Mothers neighborhood rose wars.
My recollection matches grecos. And I think a special grafting tape was used to bind the graft.
All Moms gear came from A.M. Leonard. The Brownells of gardening.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
If all you want to do is start a new rose like the one you have, taking a cutting is an easier way than grafting and you will have a better and stronger rose. There are several ways to do this and an internet search will show you some sources. There are even some YouTube videos, if I recall correctly.

I have raised many beautiful roses from cuttings.

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1992 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
My father use to do a lot of grafting of walnut trees. You need to make sure one side of the cambium layer lines up with the host plant.

He used Parafilm to wrap the graft.

https://www.amazon.com/Parafil...-Clear/dp/B0085OFNVE

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Will they flourish like the second rose (half red/yellow, half new black because it is such a deep red)?

Not sure what this is asking. Whatever grows from the grafted material will be produced by the buds on that grafted material, so blooms produced from that growth you should expect to be the same as the donor variety. The sap coming from/through the host won't change the flowers.

Most modern roses are produced by grafting a bud from a blooming variety onto a rootstock variety, often chosen for hardiness or soil preference. Whatever grows from above the graft has the characteristics of the blooming variety (say Taboo) and if suckers come from below the bud union, that growth and any blooms will be from the rootstock variety (Manetti, Odorata, Dr. Huey, e.g.)

Posts: 15025 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:

Not sure what this is asking. Whatever grows from the grafted material will be produced by the buds on that grafted material, so blooms produced from that growth you should expect to be the same as the donor variety. The sap coming from/through the host won't change the flowers.

Most modern roses are produced by grafting a bud from a blooming variety onto a rootstock variety, often chosen for hardiness or soil preference. Whatever grows from above the graft has the characteristics of the blooming variety (say Taboo) and if suckers come from below the bud union, that growth and any blooms will be from the rootstock variety (Manetti, Odorata, Dr. Huey, e.g.)

What i want to know is if i can graft Taboo onto the other rose ball.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
It looks like you can. Here is reference to a preferred Dr. Huey rootstock:

https://www.quora.com/All-of-t...w-on-their-own-roots

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:

What i want to know is if i can graft Taboo onto the other rose ball.

Yes. Grafting is tricky to get right, but the plants are compatible, and - assuming the graft takes - you would wind up with a plant that is partly the old Mikado and partly the new Taboo.

Basic approaches depend on whether you want to try grafting starting with one bud ("bud graft") or an entire stick ("stick graft".) There are lots of references on the net for both of those methods. For someone new to grafting, the stick approach is easier.

If your purpose is to make another plant of Taboo, there are easier and more reliable ways of propagating than grafting. If you want the two-color effect, of course, grafting is your only choice.

But if you just want more Taboo plants, one really simple thing to do is when you prune Taboo, take some of the largest, healthiest pruned pieces, scrape a bit off the bark around the cut end, put some rooting compound around the scrapes and put them in the ground where you want new plants. A good percentage of those cuttings will end up turning into new rosebushes.

You could also buy a replacement plant. In the US, Taboo is also known as "Barkarole" and you can find suppliers of Taboo/Barkarole on Helpmefind.com

Posts: 15025 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post