SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any flight sim fans out there?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any flight sim fans out there? Login/Join 
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted
X-Plane 11 just came out a couple weeks ago and it looks absolutely incredible.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I haven't owned an xplane sim in several decades now. Since FSX has dropped (MS sold to Lockheed Martin for those who don't know), is Xplane a viable alternative for instrument training? The advantage to FSX was the ability to fly published approaches into nearly any airport in the world. Giving me a chance to "check out" and airport and practice and approach prior to actually flying there. The realism of the imagery to me, wasn't as important as the realism of the "system".

I remember flying chuck yeager's xplane....lol

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
the last flight sim I flew was I think Falcon 3.0

don't even know whats around anymore

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53181 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
To really make it authentic, wake up at 0100 and report to your computer for an estimated departure of 0330. Get to office to find a IT working on your "plane" with an estimated departure of 0745. Call your wife (scheduling) to ask if you can go back to bed, get told no. Have some bad coffee and a sandwich. Sit in office for four hours. Finally, the mechanics sign off. Take off, sit behind computer for 7 hours with only the odd break for the bathroom and more coffee, and maybe a TV dinner. Land. Go to hotel, and try to sleep. Just as you nod off, the folks on the hallway start roaming around drunk and slamming doors (damn kids).

Now THAT is a realistic simulation. Big Grin

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
I haven't owned an xplane sim in several decades now. Since FSX has dropped (MS sold to Lockheed Martin for those who don't know), is Xplane a viable alternative for instrument training? The advantage to FSX was the ability to fly published approaches into nearly any airport in the world. Giving me a chance to "check out" and airport and practice and approach prior to actually flying there. The realism of the imagery to me, wasn't as important as the realism of the "system".

I remember flying chuck yeager's xplane....lol

I believe X-Plane is what a few of the commercial simulators run. And most of the people that build their own home cockpits with commercial instruments use x-plane due to the ability to integrate the actual controls into the software.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
How many of us remember the old days?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
To really make it authentic, wake up at 0100 and report to your computer for an estimated departure of 0330. Get to office to find a IT working on your "plane" with an estimated departure of 0745. Call your wife (scheduling) to ask if you can go back to bed, get told no. Have some bad coffee and a sandwich. Sit in office for four hours. Finally, the mechanics sign off. Take off, sit behind computer for 7 hours with only the odd break for the bathroom and more coffee, and maybe a TV dinner. Land. Go to hotel, and try to sleep. Just as you nod off, the folks on the hallway start roaming around drunk and slamming doors (damn kids).

Now THAT is a realistic simulation. Big Grin

Do you get spells to kill your tormentors? Ridicularus? Shutthefupimus? Iquitimus?

How about guns?

quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
How many of us remember the old days?

Them's the days. The flying equivalent of the Helen Keller Driving School.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31443 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
The last flight sim I had was F5 Stealth Fighter.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I broke down and bought it, and all in all I think it's very good. It's not as user friendly as FSX but it has a lot of features that FSX doesn't have, and it has a lot better frame rates.

And with this free add-on scenery, the graphics are unreal. Now to start building a flight sim pc..

Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
I have access to and use a Redbird motion sim down in the hanger. Works well for single and multi IFR stuff. Great to get procedures down.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I used to play LOMAC. I love.the A10 and flanker Sims. I need a new PC.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3865 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post