SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone have a Sodastream? CO2 refill question for the experts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have a Sodastream? CO2 refill question for the experts Login/Join 
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted
We got a Penguin recently and we love it. We already have amazing mountain well water and the carbonation is nice (don't use the flavors, just plain). I drink a lot of water.

The refill cans are $29.99. One can makes up to 60 liters depending on how much fizz you prefer. Staples, William Sonoma and Sodastream are the only sources for these.

I'm thinking it would be a lot cheaper to buy a 10 pound CO2 tank and an adapter to refill the can.

Has anyone done this?

Posts: 12917 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
You can google and find people that have rigged up large CO2 tanks.

We buy ours at bed bath and beyond. With the trade in of the old one it brings it down to $15 and then we use the $5 off of $15 coupon that they send like twice a week to bring it down to $10. Works out for us. We just make sparkling water like you. No flavors.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I haven't done it that way. I have, however, used dry ice. It's a whole lot cheaper than buying new bottles.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
We aren't near any of those stores.

How does dry ice work Gustofer?

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Just unscrew the top and fill it about halfway with small chunks of dry ice. Screw the top back on and you're good to go.

There used to be several Youtube videos on how to do it.

ETA: Here's one:

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Cool, thank you.

Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
I'm going to try this refill method.

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't touch the dry ice with your bare hands.

Dry ice bombs are fun too. Put about a handful of dry ice pieces in a 2 liter and toss.....when it goes off in about 2 minutes, it's louder than a cherry bomb. If you want it twice as loud put the pieces in a soda bottle with about 25% water in it, cap and toss. Be careful these explode with A LOT of force and can injure someone.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of james_1234
posted Hide Post
I bought a big commercial tank with an adapter to run it directly off the large tank. Did not have as much pressure as the small tanks due to my 250psi hose but it worked alright. We used it several years without filling the large tank again. Only bad thing ia it was really bulky. Cost about $125 to get it all set up. It paid for itself in less than 6 months.

Posts: 1362 | Location: Colorado | Registered: May 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post