SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mattresses Again
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mattresses Again Login/Join 
Picture of wingspar
posted
It’s been a while since I’ve logged in or read the forum, so I hope this hasn’t been discussed recently. I’m in desperate need of a new mattress. Looked at some last week. I’ve laid on Tempur-pedic mattresses before and absolutely hate them, but the sales person talked me into laying on some of the new ones, even tho I did not want to. The ProAdapt mattresses. I was blown away by how different they were compared to the last ones I laid on. I’m choking at the price, but am seriously thinking about buying one. They come in 4 different firmness levels. Soft, Medium, Firm and Hybrid. I know mattresses are about as personal a thing as there is, but is there anyone in the forum that has spent at least a few months on a Tempur-pedic ProAdapt mattress>

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Our memory foam mattress was about pooped out about the time I broke my neck. It was so difficult to get out of it I opted for practically living in a recliner. I spent a while rehabbing my back so I could stretch out to sleep in a bed again. My wife and I are very happy with a latex mattress now.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Wife did research for a bit, then when we realized how much we were about to spend a lot more research. Bunch of online resources, and of course a fair bit of laying on beds. Trick is to lay on them more than 30 seconds IMHO.

We ended up with what I believe is a hybrid at the top of Simmons Beautyrest line. As you say, the price was eye-watering, but in talking with others who had bit the bullet they were pleased in the end. Figure this one will last us quite a while based on history so looking at it as multi-year investment.

We also landed on MattressFirm as source due to their 120 day return/swap policy. Even after all that time, we did actually swap ours out for the same model with a pillow top design after about 90 days. Felt a little weird to be swapping this, but for what we paid we were sure not going to be any less than thrilled with the end result. Easy-peasy.

There have been a couple threads here recently, not sure if you can search for them successfully.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Check these guys out before you buy. I think these mattresses are a great option for ticking all the right boxes, and they run a whole lot less than TemperPedic.

Brooklyn Bedding - Signature or Aurora

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After 40 years of sleeping on waterbeds my wife told me we needed to try something else. I like a firm mattress and she likes a soft. The sales lady recommended a Diamond mattress. I went 100% on what my wife liked. During the purchase period I asked about a return policy? The lady explained there wasn't one. The mattress cost $2,100.00. After a night of bad sleep on a guest bedroom mattress my wife said she was going to cancel our order.

I suggested a Sleep Number bed because we could adjust each side to our individual taste. After a fair amount of internet research I felt the Personal Comfort bed was a better value than the Sleep Number. My wife isn't interested in spending $4,000+ for the mattress so I started more research.

We ordered a Purple Mattress on Saturday, it cost $3,100.00. (In my way of thinking just about anything that provides a good night's rest is worth the money.) The ads and YouTube videos depict a mattress that provides soft support. They have a 120 day trial period. So far they haven't provided a shipping date or a day for delivery.

I believe the Personal Comfort air bed is the right solution but my wife isn't fond of the price.

In the mean time, I take two Benadryl before I go to bed and I sleep great out on the couch.

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 707 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
We ordered a Purple Mattress on Saturday, it cost $3,100.00.

Wowza. That seems like a lot for a foam. I got a Leesa for I think under $1000. As I recall, it had a 100 day money-back guarantee. I've been perfectly happy with it.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Everyone is different, but I now have 3 Casper mattresses in my house for an intergenerational family and they are much loved.

We had Tempurpedic, BeautyRest, Simmons et al before this.

$900 each, I think, with a 100 day money back no questions asked policy, and they’ll even come and pick up the mattress.

I’d recommend canceling your Purple order and at least trying a Casper first, there’s no risk and if it works I just saved you $2k+. If you stick with the Purple and it works out, you’ll never know if the Casper could have worked and for much cheaper. Just my $0.02.

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
I’m really only interested in opinions on the Tempur-pedic ProAdapt mattress. I will never order anything online that I can’t try first. I’m 72 with back problems, and now a pinched nerve in my right leg.

---------------
Gary

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wingspar:
I’m really only interested in opinions on the Tempur-pedic ProAdapt mattress. I will never order anything online that I can’t try first. I’m 72 with back problems, and now a pinched nerve in my right leg.

Gary,

The whole point of many of these online mattress companies is that they basically deliver them to your house to “try”, given that they don’t have stores.

I can speak from my Casper experience, but others are similar... if you aren’t satisfied, even 10 minutes after you first laid on the mattress, you call or email or online chat with the company, and they send someone to come pick it up, no questions asked, for a full refund.

Can’t beat that, and that’s what I’d really recommend. We had a Tempurpedic, some love it, some don’t. Everyone is different, what works for my back probably won’t work for yours, what you need to do is sleep on as many mattresses as you can and find one that works; this is a way to do that.

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
Everyone is different, but I now have 3 Casper mattresses in my house for an intergenerational family and they are much loved.

We had Tempurpedic, BeautyRest, Simmons et al before this.

$900 each, I think, with a 100 day money back no questions asked policy, and they’ll even come and pick up the mattress.

I’d recommend canceling your Purple order and at least trying a Casper first, there’s no risk and if it works I just saved you $2k+. If you stick with the Purple and it works out, you’ll never know if the Casper could have worked and for much cheaper. Just my $0.02.

I am open to any suggestion though I think I'm pursuing a unicorn.

____

Posts: 707 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
One of the best mattress threads of 2017 had a recommendation for theforum The Mattress Underground . This is so much better than reading ratings on Amazon, Costco, etc. as they actually break down the layers and their quality. Not a big deal if you're 150 lbs, but a huge deal if you're over 200 lbs. The link above is specifically for their bed in a box (do yourself a favor and spend the time reading), and if you're over 200 lbs make sure it says "suitable for any weight range." For the OP, you'll see that some of the ones listed here are either comprised of poor materials or there are better choices for less money.

A word of caution, I'm normally an Amazon fan, but in this case I'm going to recommend against Amazon. Amazon's policy is that their warranty supersedes the manufacturer's warranty and most of the bed in the box mattress companies have a 90 or 100 day trial period if you buy direct, but if you buy from Amazon it's 30 days.

Last December, I ended up buying one of the talalay latex mattresses they rated "suitable for any weight range" and I'm extremely pleased. Normally, I'd post the manufacturer's link but their website is acting up.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Latex here. Not inexpensive, but 1/2 price of a Tempurpedic and more comfortable.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
quote:
Originally posted by wingspar:

Gary,

The whole point of many of these online mattress companies is that they basically deliver them to your house to “try”, given that they don’t have stores.

I can speak from my Casper experience, but others are similar... if you aren’t satisfied, even 10 minutes after you first laid on the mattress, you call or email or online chat with the company, and they send someone to come pick it up, no questions asked, for a full refund.

Can’t beat that, and that’s what I’d really recommend. We had a Tempurpedic, some love it, some don’t. Everyone is different, what works for my back probably won’t work for yours, what you need to do is sleep on as many mattresses as you can and find one that works; this is a way to do that.

I’ve been looking at mattresses for a long time and was seriously considering a Casper, but have totally decided I’m better off buying from a local brick and mortar store where I can try before buying and there is a trial period. They deliver, set up the new mattress and haul the old one away. I’ve done a lot of thinking on this, and I will Not order online. I’ve got no place to store the old mattress while trying out one I ordered online. We are too old to be moving mattresses around.

I’ve tried Tempur-pedic mattresses in the past and hated them, but these new mattresses are completely different. I was hoping for some experience with the Tempur-pedic ProAdapt, hence this thread. We are going back next week to try them again before making a final decision, and may even decide against the Tempur-pedic.

---------------
Gary

posted Hide Post
We just picked up a SAATVA. It is a hybrid mattress. We absolutely love it. Has a 120 day return period. 15 year warranty. For 15 years had right side radiculopathy from back disk rupture. It is gone. I was worried buying the nline without testing it. We went to 4-5 stores and tried multiple styles. We paid 2k. It is similar to sterns and foster but 3k cheaper.

Posts: 279 | Location: Northeast Ohio  | Registered: August 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...rumOID=320601935&p=2

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54633 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
quote:
We ordered a Purple Mattress on Saturday, it cost $3,100.00.

Wowza. That seems like a lot for a foam. I got a Leesa for I think under $1000. As I recall, it had a 100 day money-back guarantee. I've been perfectly happy with it.

We cancelled our order for the Purple Mattress this morning. After a number of attempts to find out when the mattress would ship we finally had a guy in customer service confirm it would be two more weeks (that would be three weeks from the time of order) before it was shipped (they are "Made by hand in Utah" was the explanation for the delay). Shipping time would be at least another week.

____