SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Instant Pot Question/Assistance
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Instant Pot Question/Assistance Login/Join 
posted
We received an Instant Pot this last Christmas, and it's time to try it out.

Our usual roast beef recipe is eye of the round with carrots and potatoes in the oven with cream of mushroom soup(or a homemade version) as the liquid.

I have found a Instant Pot recipe for the soup, and I will elect to cook the carrots and potatoes separately or at the end of cooking the beef cooking cycle to prevent the veggies from turning to mush.

The biggest question is how much liquid to put in with the roast? Could I make the soup, then leave it in to cook the roast? Or is there a minimum amount, as the guide recommends using broth?
Thanks

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Wrong kind of pot expert!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was wondering...

Best of luck.

Posts: 1351 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
An Instant Pot, as I understand it, is a pressure cooker with a timer and heat control onboard.

Pressure cookers don’t need much more than a couple of cups of water or broth or soup and a steamer basket to keep the food off the bottom of the pot. The cooking is done by steam under about 15 lbs. of pressure.

Cook the meat first, release the pressure and add the veggies then finish cooking under pressure.

Subtract the amount of time required to cook the veggies from the total time needed to cook the meat. Partially cook the meat then add the veggies and pressure the veggies along with the meat to make the cooking times come out just right.

If you want to make it a soup, add more water with some Better than Beef buillion or some beef stock and let it all simmer for a while in an open pot.

If some unexpected company shows up, throw in a can of corn, a can of green beans, a can of crushed tomatoes and make a extra pan of cornbread. Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post