SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need exact carburetor originally on car...1947 Chevy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need exact carburetor originally on car...1947 Chevy Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
She's 70 years old this year, and I would like to find the original design carburetor for this classic 1947 Chevrolet Fleetmaster. On the dash are pull knobs for a hand throttle and a hand choke. However, the original owner "improved" the car with a Rochester B carb with an automatic choke. I would like to replace that with a Carter, I believe. But, when I look around online, it is a challenge to find a Carter for a 1947 Fleetmaster that I am sure is what should be on the car.

So, where to I go, online, for insights? Part numbers?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Might find a source in Hemmings Motor News classified ads. My 59 Chevy pickup had knobs on the dash for throttle and choke-perhaps it used the same carb. I think I may still have a used OEM oil bath air cleaner out in the shop you can have for shipping cost, if you can use it.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Google the Carb King out of Missouri. Also go to Chevytalk.org. It's the Sigforum of Chevrolet.

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Search for Chevys of the 40's. they will have everything available

Still waters run deep, so careful I don't drown you.

Posts: 146 | Location: Grantville, Ga | Registered: June 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7451 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
pbslinger ~ You sir, are too modest!

That is a veritable treasure trove of information! Smile

Good on Ya for sharing it!
Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
Here's some info: http://www.thecarburetorshop.c...arterChevroletW1.htm

That's the one. I believe CarbKing is his handle on Chevytalk.org.

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Looks like I need a Carter W1 574S. Now to save up for a remanufactured carb! It will be as much as a new Walther PPS. But, being able to just get up and go in the antique car will be worth it.

-------

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
This one may be not specific enough:

https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/...etorReplacement.html

Here's a rebuilding service and they can provide a core:

http://www.classiccadillacwate...om/19caw1carese.html

Posts: 7451 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
$350! Looks perfect. The car will run better with a fully reconditioned carb.

-------

Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
I'd love to see pics of the car.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post