SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    You're taxiing to the ramp in your Citation, and then ...
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You're taxiing to the ramp in your Citation, and then ... Login/Join 
Picture of aileron
posted

I saw this a few weeks ago, but learned yesterday the Citation driver is a friend. His wife was aboard and told him "we're on fire" - they'd felt a big bump but couldn't see anything - yet. The Pilot asked he not be identified so I'm respecting his request. He's VERY upset about this incident. Hard to imagine how this happened after hearing his description; I'll provide more as he permits.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/t...firefighters-killed/

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a very unfortunate situation. 2 young fire fighters killed etc.

It looks like the Cessna had some speed and was semi airborne when it clipped the Citations tail. I'm not sure how you can visually miss a Citation 525 on the runway.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Looks like he tried to take off behind the landing Citation and it slowed quicker than anticipated.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
VERY upset about this incident

pardon my ignorance of such details,

wondering whether such damages result in 'total loss' of the air frame, or whether repairs might restore to 'normal service'? I suppose there is some degree between 'repairable/NOT repairable'. Who makes the call?

Does the airplane market have such as a 'salvage title' similar to motor vehicles, and is there a class of private air craft in service after similar degree of damage? Is the boneyard the likely fate for this particular air plane?

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
quote:
VERY upset about this incident

pardon my ignorance of such details,

wondering whether such damages result in 'total loss' of the air frame, or whether repairs might restore to 'normal service'? I suppose there is some degree between 'repairable/NOT repairable'. Who makes the call?

Does the airplane market have such as a 'salvage title' similar to motor vehicles, and is there a class of private air craft in service after similar degree of damage? Is the boneyard the likely fate for this particular air plane?

Not a pilot.

But I'm pretty sure NTSB inspects the crash and comes up with their findings and then FAA inspectors inspect the airframe/plane and determine if the airframe is fixable, FAA inspectors I think are the only ones that can determine that.

My sheer guess, since the fixed tail rear of the airframe is a high load point that has been completely severed, the plane is not fixable and goes for scrap. Also given the damage to the rear of the airframe and the starboard jet engine, I would guess even if you could repair it, it would be financially cheaper to buy another plane. I do not believe there are rebuilt titles etc for airplanes. These are all just well educated guesses as I'm no expert.

I have a customer that had to belly land his WWII trainer (T6 Texan/snj5) on the West coast of FL about a year ago since the engine blew up. There were no casualties, injuries, or damage to people or property other than the plane itself which actually fared really well, so the NTSB investigation was very quick. They removed the wings for transport and also everything had to be check for cracks on the airframe and wings and signed off by an FAA inspector. None were found and the plane was trucked to NJ and rebuilt and then inspected again by an FAA inspector before given a certificate that it can fly again.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Never a good idea to takeoff behind landing traffic that has yet to clear the runway.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Oh boy...another aircraft crash thread, these always end well.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Never a good idea to takeoff behind landing traffic that has yet to clear the runway.

^^^^^^^^^^

What happens if the plane blows a tire on roll out, collapses a gear, runs out of gas, etc.

I wonder if jet blast from the engines could mess with lift right behind and above the plane? Jet blast messed with me as I was landing just as a 727 on the crossing taxiway powered up to taxi into position, and blew me sideways, luckily with time to recover and land.

The damage is confined to the tail section. An AI can probably sign off on a new tail. The insurer will pay its insured, sell the damaged plane to a refurbisher who will do the restoration and sign off on it. Not much chance of recoupment depending on who owned the 150.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Your buddy is lucky not to be killed himself.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Look at the map of the airport, there are two runways that cross. Could this have happened at the intersection?

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Your buddy is lucky not to be killed himself.

You're not kidding! Another SoCal friend/astronaut who was taught to fly many years ago by the Citation pilot is back in IN helping his primary instructor through the FAA/NTSB mess.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Looking at that photo, the debris field for the 150 is not very big, is it. Yikes!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
OK here's the preliminary NTSB report.

He stated that he did not recall making a radio call on
UNICOM, but did utilize his on board Traffic Collision Avoidance System (TCAS) system while
on approach. He stated that the TCAS did not show any traffic on the airport. Passengers
aboard the Cessna 525 were interviewed and all reported that they did not see the Cessna 150
on the approach or during the landing roll.
The reported weather at MZZ at the time of the accident was VFR with 4 miles of visibility due
to haze. Also, at the departure and arrival ends of runway 15/33, there was a sign stating,
"Traffic Using Runway 4/22 Cannot Be Seen, Monitor Unicom 122.7." At the departure and
arrival ends of runway 4/22, there was a sign stating, "Traffic Using 15/33 cannot Be Seen,
Monitor Unicom 122.7." The MKK airport does not have a control tower.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
Look at the map of the airport, there are two runways that cross. Could this have happened at the intersection?

Apparently so, or close.

quote:
The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) on Tuesday released its preliminary report of the accident that claimed the lives of Kyle Hibst and David Wittkamper, both 31.

The final report is not expected to be completed for 12 to 18 months.

The NTSB report said the Cessna 150 airplane being piloted by Hibst collided with the business jet as it was taking off. After the crash, the airplane caught fire on the runway.

The business jet was a Cessna 525 registered to Avis Industrial Corp. and originated in Jackson, Michigan.

The report states the plane being flown by Hibst struck the tail section of the Cessna 525 at the intersection of two runways. Evidence at the intersection showed that the airplanes came together perpendicular to each other.

“There were three witnesses to the accident, located in the airport lounge, within hearing distance of the UNICOM radio,” the report states. “Each witness reported seeing the Cessna 150 just airborne when it struck the empennage (tail section) of the Cessna 525.”

The surviving pilot said he didn’t see the departing plane while he was on a straight-in approach and didn't see the Cessna 150 during the landing.

He said he didn’t recall making a radio call on UNICOM, although two witnesses said Hibst was on the radio. The pilot said he had the Traffic Collision Avoidance System activated and it didn’t show any traffic on the airport.

The four passengers on the Cessna 525 said they never saw the smaller plane on the approach or after landing.

The preliminary report notes there are signs on the departure and arrival runways stating runway traffic on the runways cannot be seen and to monitor UNICOM.

The Marion Municipal Airport does not have a control tower. The NTSB preliminary report said visibility was four miles due to haze.

Link

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Not a pilot.

determine if the airframe is fixable, FAA inspectors I think are the only ones that can determine that.

. . . inspected again by an FAA inspector before given a certificate that it can fly again.
Here we go again.

No, Jimmy, you are incorrect on a couple points. FAA inspectors are definitely not "the only ones that can determine that." FAA inspectors do NOT give "a certificate that it can fly again."

You have a lot of good knowledge about the yachting world and you make some great contributions there. Stick to that. Not a good idea to make assertions about aviation with "knowledge" gained from flying with a friend.

If you really want to know about aircraft repair, and what is required to return an airplane to service after major repairs, it's all documented on the faa.gov website. Do a little digging there and find the actual facts.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Damn, collision at the intersection.

Someone wasn't making calls or listening to the radio.

Ouch.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Perfect confluence of clickbait and aviation/shipping.

Shocking.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
So, based on the little info known at the moment: who is at fault.

They had to stretch to make that headline...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:
So, based on the little info known at the moment: who is at fault.

Harrison Ford? Han flying again?

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Learned to fly in 150 Aerobat. Had a conflict in approach airspace as I was doing repeated touch and goes. Another pilot in a owned Cherokee didn't observe practice on uni-com to radio his intention for a direct approach to our only active. Nor was he listening to my constant broadcast of my location and intentions.

His plane became apparent in my windscreen as I was crosswind to final and had to take evasive action to avoid midair. I approached him on ground but his luther copilot/passenger stopped me from coming to blows with this not too competent bastard. Changed my view of private aviation and uncontrolled airfields.

That jet jockey better hope evidence shows he was in fact on the uni-com broadcasting his intentions and that he was aware of he 150 in the area.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post