SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Talk me out of a Milwaukee 12v fuel hammer drill driver combo
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Talk me out of a Milwaukee 12v fuel hammer drill driver combo Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I own a LOT of power tools, and recently wanted something smaller so I got into the M12 Milwaukee line. Long story short, totally in love. Bought the M12 Fuel Impact/Hammer Drill kit with hi-cap battery for two family members for Christmas when it came with another free M12 tool..they both opted for the vacuum cleaner which works like a champ.

I highly doubt as a homeowner/hobbyist you'd have a job that an M12 tool can't handle.

M12 tools I currently own:

M12 drill
M12 impact
M12 rotary buffer
M12 3/8 rachet
M12 LED flashlight
M12 LED Floodlight
M12 solder iron
M12 compressor/inflator

It's not M12 but I got the Milwaukee USB rechargeable LED headlamp, the $59 one. Total lifesaver and built like a brick shithouse.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 969 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I say go for it. Since it's the Fuel series, you can buy tools only if you want instead of buying tools and batteries.

I have the Fuel 18v sets and I love them.

Posts: 13097 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonDaddy82:
It's not M12 but I got the Milwaukee USB rechargeable LED headlamp, the $59 one. Total lifesaver and built like a brick shithouse.

Do they sell them at the stores too or online only?

Posts: 13097 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I think you will be okay with at home projects the real deal is you will probably need and extra battery or two if doing a lot of work.

I switched from Dewalt to Milwaukee a few years back not that I had anything against Dewalt but wanted a new combo set of impact driver and hammer drill with the LED light on them and my local tool store did not have that in Dewalt and so I went with 18 volt Milwaukee.... since then I have purchased a number of more batteries.. as in a total of 11 and now own something in the neighborhood of 30 18volt Milwaukee cordless tools.
Here's a youtube video I did and still can't figure out how it has gotten over 15,000 watches:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxX_hnCz6G0

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
The 12v will be fine for everything BUT the concrete drilling. For that you can either rent or buy a corded hammer drill.

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:
Have you looked at the 18v to 20v max converter Dewalt makes? I bought one for my brother who has a ton of 18v Dewalt tools and he loves it. It is letting him use the 18v tools he has until they die and then replace them with the max family of tools.

The 20/60/120v max lineup is really impressive. I have a set of 18v Rigid tools that are bullet proof but heavy.

If you are interested the part number is: DCA2203C You might see if it is compatible with your current set up.

Mark

THIS!! Was a game changer for me. I had opted to go to the 20V Dewalt tools after the 18V had given me such a good run. Had 2 18V batteries that still worked for about 10 tools I had, so I retired them to my shop. The DeWalt adapter makes them all useful again.

I have the 60V Max batteries for my DeWalt chainsaw, and they are the most impressive cordless batteries I have ever seen.

As a plumber, I work my tools hard, and DeWalt has taken excellent care of my needs.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by Suppressed:
I have a Milwaukee 12 volt drill. The batteries don’t last very long. I have three batteries that won’t charge and one battery that is probably going to fail soon. They were less than a year old when they stopped working. The batteries were expensive as well.
You should have contacted Milwaukee prior to the end of their warranty and had them address your issues. I have a bunch of Milwaukee 12v and 18v tools, and none of them exhibit the problems you noted.

Admitted Milwaukee fan boy here. I have over $2k worth of Milwaukee cordless tools.

Just wanted to say you should take anything broken to a Milwaukee servicing dealer and ask for a repair estimate. (they don't fix it in house but will send it in) I have taken a 1/4 impact driver that quit running and a 1/2 inch drill, both M18 Fuel, for repair estimates out of warrantee and they repaired both for no charge, not even shipping. I even told them that I had left the drill in the bed of my truck and it got soaked with rain. They replaced everything in the drill, except the gearbox... the motor, circuit board and switch, all for free. They didn't even tell me what was wrong with the impact driver but they fixed it to out of warrentee no questions ask as well.

I just take it in and lay it on the counter and tell them it won't work. They ship it to Milwaukee and call me when it gets back, both times it took less than two weeks.

I read last year that Milwaukee and DeWalt were in a sort of sales / warrantee war... looking to win loyal customers.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Love my Milwaukee M12 drills. Can’t speak for the hammer drill though.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by JonDaddy82:

Do they sell them at the stores too or online only?

Depends on the store, most only carry the lesser model at a lower price point. Don’t do it! The $59 one is the one to have.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 969 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Depends on how big a hole you are drilling in concrete as to the hammer drill.. for most smaller holes a standard cordless hammer drill will work. But Milwaukee also makes a bigger (heavier) hammer drill as well as one that is also a chipping hammer to boot.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I sprung for a Makita LXT brushless drill and impact driver kit at HD. Comes with 2 2.0 aH batteries. HD has a deal going for Memorial Day weekend, if you buy this kit you get another free 2.0 aH battery, normally $79.
I love the feel of this very lightweight but powerful set--size of a 12V but with 18V and brushless so lots of power; put in some lag bolts to mount a TV in studs, super easy!

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I sprung for a Makita LXT brushless drill and impact driver kit at HD. Comes with 2 2.0 aH batteries. HD has a deal going for Memorial Day weekend, if you buy this kit you get another free 2.0 aH battery, normally $79.
I love the feel of this very lightweight but powerful set--size of a 12V but with 18V and brushless so lots of power; put in some lag bolts to mount a TV in studs, super easy!

Welcome to the blue side Wink

I’ve so far got the subcompact impact and drill along with their 36v (dual 18v batteries) 10” miter saw and rear handle 7 1/4” skill saw. All of them are fantastic and outperform the Milwaukee’s that I carry for work.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Bosch makes nice 12v compact tools and sometimes they are crazy cheap.I got this set for $99 on Amazon during last year's Christmas sales.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Posts: 4695 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Two of my guys at work were given the little 12v screw guns when they started. Much joking and teasing followed, "Fisher Price My First Drill", one guy calling his "the Tonka". Big Grin

Earlier this year they were both given an 18v screw gun, impact gun (and 5 other tool) kit.

They still both use the little 12v screw gun more than anything else.

Posts: 21098 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post