SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question, Do these Resigning Politicians lose their pensions?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question, Do these Resigning Politicians lose their pensions? Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted
If not, don't you think they should?

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8356 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I have wondered the same thing. I don't think they should, but I bet they do. Frown

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure they get a lifetime pension and free medical care.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Downtown I really needed that laugh.

Lose their pensions... ROTFLMAO...

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
FFC - fat fucking chance. They are set for life after one term.

What a deal!!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
If you are fired, or quit, after your pension rights have vested, do you lose them? Of course not, any more than you lose last month’s paycheck.

There is more rumor and misinformation on the internet about Congressional pensions and health care than the strange object that landed in Roswell on July 8, 1947.

The facts are online for the perusal. Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
That's the rub. If they 'retire', they get their benefits. If they aren't re-elected, they don't get benefits. Senators are vested after 1 term, congressman after their second term (5th year).

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Conyers will get his, per the local paper:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/a...ep.com/amp/923193001

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I would say that they should also loose their freedom. God knows I would be in prison if I did 1% of the illegal shit those slimy politicians do.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
They get it and medical even if they go to jail, they take care of themselves no matter what.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Of course --- where's the guillotine?

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most of them are resigning for non-prosecutable offenses. Is kissing a woman really sexual assault? Can you be imprisoned for patting someone's ass? We need to get a sense of proportion. Grabbing ass is minor. Using taxpayer dollars to provide settlements is major. Franken and Conyers are gone. The system that looted us to pay for their nonsense is still in place.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Most likely nothing will be done to their pensions.
We should, however, address the slush fund use to silence their accusers.
It's our money.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
They will still get their money, besides the graft they received while in office, you can rest assured they will come out ahead for the rest of their miserable lives.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:
They will still get their money, besides the graft they received while in office, you can rest assured they will come out ahead for the rest of their miserable lives.

Well then, I wish them all very short lives...

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8356 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Here are the folks who received "enhanced annuity" pensions in the fed.gov. 1.7% for the first 20 years of service, 1% for every year thereafter:

-Firefighters
-LEOs
-Nuclear Materials Couriers
-Air Traffic Controllers

....and....

-Members of Congress and their staffers.

Yup. When you think "Hazardous" and "Jobs that need to be done by young and fit people," think firemen, nuclear materials couriers, and Members of Congress, so much so that they deserve a higher annuity calculation to compensate for their shorter career viability. Just like you can't expect a fireman to still be humping hose when he's 62, you can't expect a Congressman to.. to..

...OK, almost did that with a straight face.

Members of Congress and staffers are vested immediately and receive their full 1.7% x years <20 no matter what. If I don't actually work MY full 20, I might still be entitled to a "deferred retirement" at minimum retirement age (57-62, depending) but only at 1% per year.

Short answer: Yes, they keep their pension.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DennisM,

Posts: 2465 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post