SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Potentially Good News, I think: WWII M1911's Coming to CMP
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Potentially Good News, I think: WWII M1911's Coming to CMP Login/Join 
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted
Article at this LINK

quote:
World War II Military Surplus 1911’s Coming To Store Shelves?
Brock Simmons Jul 20th, 2017 10:30 pm

[Go to URL to view photo of M1911 in shipping box]

The Civilian Marksmanship Program may be getting thousands of WWII era M1911 pistols to sell to the public. This is courtesy of a clause in the 2018 NDAA bill, HR 2810, which has passed the House, and directs the Secretary Of Defense to approve the transfer.

The Firearm Blog reports:

quote:
The United States House of Representatives has just passed their version of the 2018 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), and included within it is a provision that will mandate the release of all M1911 handguns currently in US Army inventory to the Civilian Marksmanship Program, for distribution to eligible US civilians. The new bill would overwrite the 2016 NDAA, which allowed for the release of 10,000 of the pistols, but did not mandate it. The text of Section 1064 of the 2018 NDAA is as follows:

SEC. 1064. TRANSFER OF SURPLUS FIREARMS TO CORPORATION FOR THE PROMOTION OF RIFLE PRACTICE AND FIREARMS SAFETY.
(a) In General.—Section 40728(h) of title 36, United States Code, is amended—

(1) by striking “(1) Subject to paragraph (2), the Secretary may transfer” and inserting “The Secretary shall transfer”;

(2) by striking “The Secretary shall determine a reasonable schedule for the transfer of such surplus pistols.”; and

(3) by striking paragraph (2).

(b) Termination Of Pilot Program.—Section 1087 of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2016 (Public Law 114–92; 129 Stat. 1012) is amended by striking subsections (b) and (c).

This is a modification of the 2016 NDAA, which Obama signed, which granted the sale of the classic sidearm, but did not mandate it. The 2016 version also limited the number of annual transfers to 10,000. Of course none were actually transferred.

Ammoland adds:

quote:
This year’s language, however, would effectively make the transfers mandatory and would remove the yearly cap. Currently, the military has some 100,000 excess 1911s sitting in storage at taxpayer expense. Transfer of these historically-significant firearms would ease a burden on the government’s heavily indebted balance sheet and help preserve important artifacts from the era when the U.S. military defended Western Civilization from worldwide fascism and aggressive Communist expansion.

The CMP’s sales of 1911s would be treated as other retail sales under the federal Gun Control Act, including the attendant background checks and point of sale record keeping. The design of the pistols dates back to the late 19th Century, and they come equipped with a seven-round magazine. One would think this would render the sales harmless in the eyes of the “reasonable gun safety regulation” crowd, but we’re not holding our breath.

But there is still action to be taken. If the Senate’s version of the NDAA does not include this language, then it may be struck during the conference committee, where leaders from both chambers meet to resolve the differences between their 2 versions.

Please call/write your senators and ask them to follow through on this!

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My U.S. Senators are both anti-gun leftists, so writing them would do little good. (It's not as if I haven't tried.)

On a more personal note: It's just as well I'm not hot to get one of these. It would seem that, despite being a veteran, I don't meet the Requirements for Purchase

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
My U.S. Senators are both anti-gun leftists, so writing them would do little good. (It's not as if I haven't tried.)

On a more personal note: It's just as well I'm not hot to get one of these. It would seem that, despite being a veteran, I don't meet the Requirements for Purchase

Which, specifically? Short of not being a citizen, anybody can manage to qualify for CMP purchase pretty easy.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
This is great to see. They have been trying to give these away by the crate to LE for several years.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
quote:

Which, specifically? Short of not being a citizen, anybody can manage to qualify for CMP purchase pretty easy.

This, specifically:

quote:

By law, the CMP can sell surplus military firearms, ammunition, parts and other items only to members of CMP affiliated clubs who are also...

Not a member of any club at all. CMP-affiliated or otherwise.

I don't care and I'm not complaining. I was just mildly surprised, was all.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Join the Garand Collectors Association. It's $25 a year and counts as an affiliated club. They also share your membership with the CMP so basically you don't have to do anything. You get a high quality quarterly journal with cool articles about the Garand and other things too.

http://thegca.org/product/gca-membership-2/

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

This, specifically:

quote:

By law, the CMP can sell surplus military firearms, ammunition, parts and other items only to members of CMP affiliated clubs who are also...

Glock Sport Shooting Foundation qualifies. $35 to join.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
mbinky beat me to it.

As a sidenote, how close are you to Howell? The Howell Gun Club is CMP recognized, has the only 300 yard range in Livingston County, is building a IDPA range, has 50 and 100 yard outdoor ranges, Trap and Skeet and a 50 foot indoor range with heat and good ventilation. Take a look at the website, takes two member signatures on your application, just happen to know a couple members............ Wink

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pulling up my own state, I see Boy Scout troops, Venture crews, 4-H clubs, Civil Air Patrol, a gunsmithing club, and the state version of the NRA in addition to a number of actual shooting clubs that qualify. There's a little something for everyone.

Posts: 516 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
mbinky beat me to it.

As a sidenote, how close are you to Howell? The Howell Gun Club is CMP recognized, has the only 300 yard range in Livingston County, is building a IDPA range, has 50 and 100 yard outdoor ranges, Trap and Skeet and a 50 foot indoor range with heat and good ventilation. Take a look at the website, takes two member signatures on your application, just happen to know a couple members............ Wink

I was a member when I lived in Michigan. Truly excellent club, I loved the indoor range and all the guys on Sunday morning teaching me some trap. I haven't found any clubs like it in TN since I moved here.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
mbinky beat me to it.

As a sidenote, how close are you to Howell? The Howell Gun Club is ...

I know the club well. I've been there a time or two. One of my best friends, who just passed away in March, was quite heavily involved in the club. A great club but further than I'd often drive to shoot or participate in club activities. (If I was going to join a gun club, there are two nearby that are much closer. [One of in which I was once a member.] Three, if you count Detroit Sportsmen's Congress, which is closer to me than HGC.)

Guys: That remark about CMP purchasing eligibility was simply an aside. It's unimportant to me.

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
This, specifically:

quote:

You stated you are a veteran. Why not join the VFW, if you were overseas, or the American Legion, if not. Or the DAV if you were wounded. There's a lot of organizations that would qualify you as a veteran. If you retired or are active in the military, that qualifies you too.

The standard for qualifying is rather low, but you do need to take five minutes to sign up for some organization, assuming you didn't do 20 good years.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are these the $1000 1911's that were talked about when they were blocked?

quote:
CMP expects there will be Rack Grade, Field Grade, Service Grade, and Collector Grade pistols available and that he expects 10% to be in the worst condition, 10% to be in the best condition, and the rest somewhere in the middle. (He later added that the CMP will thoroughly inspect, repair, and test fire all pistols prior to sale).

The pricing is expected to start at about $1,000 per pistol with the better grades “priced accordingly.”
http://www.alloutdoor.com/2016...fficer-mark-johnson/

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
^ I think so.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by shovelhead:
mbinky beat me to it.

As a sidenote, how close are you to Howell? The Howell Gun Club is ...

I know the club well. I've been there a time or two. One of my best friends, who just passed away in March, was quite heavily involved in the club. A great club but further than I'd often drive to shoot or participate in club activities. (If I was going to join a gun club, there are two nearby that are much closer. [One of in which I was once a member.] Three, if you count Detroit Sportsmen's Congress, which is closer to me than HGC.)

Yes, I slightly was acquainted with your friend, not well but knew of him. A notice was posted inside the clubhouse of his passing. I saw it the day of the Women On Target program early in June.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Historically, very cool to own one for what it is. Unfortunately, not worth it to me at $1k plus each. My father's description of Vietnam era 1911s was less than favorable(better for a hammer than anything else, etc) and definitely not putting them into Dan Wesson pricing territory.

Would be more excited to see more carbines come in and I like 1911s.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

This, specifically:

quote:

I'm assuming that the NRA and TSRA would comply? (Yep--TSRA is an accepted club.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, I slightly was acquainted with your friend, not well but knew of him. A notice was posted inside the clubhouse of his passing. I saw it the day of the Women On Target program early in June.

Yeah, he was a big-time participant in Women On Target. (I think he may even have run the program at HGC?) Always posted a a raft of photos about it on his FB page every year.

quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
My father's description of Vietnam era 1911s was less than favorable(better for a hammer than anything else, etc) ...

Shooting an M1911 at a base range when I was in the Army was what turned me off to M1911s. The word "rattletrap" was the first thing that entered my mind at the time.

I've since handled many well-built 1911s, but, that initial impression will not leave me, thus, I've rarely been inclined to buy one--particularly considering the prices the nicer ones demand. I would not care to own an example of what I shot back in the early 70's. Not even for free. Certainly not for $1k.

quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:

I'm assuming that the NRA and TSRA would comply?

flashguy

The NRA is not a CMP-affiliated club. Have no idea about the TSRA.