SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dupixent® (dupilamab) for Eczema
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dupixent® (dupilamab) for Eczema Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted
I should find out this week whether my insurance will cover this state-of-art drug for the treatment of atopic dermatitis (also asthma). The list price is $3,110.09 per application (a self-administered injection every 2 weeks). $37k/year is a bit rich for my immuno-compromised blood.

Anyone else using it? Experiences? I've heard some life-changing stories. Just need to get off this damn Prednisone.

Dupixent

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
300ml injections every other week. It cleared my skin and havent found any side effects. Out if pocket is $75. For 4 injections. My pharmacist said the cost would over 5k without insurance.
The end result on my end is no more excema, itchy, flaky skin. Its been great for me! I started using it in January. The Dr insisted on going to the office to receive/learn how to do the injections. Good luck !

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
That's great, Sigguy. Mirrors what I've heard. Works great, no side effects. Unlike steroids, shuts off the inflammation response at the skin, rather than depressing the entire immune system.

This would allow me to get off Prednisone, ending serious side effects (including how it's been eating away at my heart).

I never thought I'd be able to try it due to the cost. Should know this week.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Good luck kkina!

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting, At the last visit with Allergy Asthma Dr he suggested this product for me. I am being evaluated by Dupixent for their program. Not looking forward to injections. I did that years ago and quit.

The possibility of getting my sense of smell back is what I want. I took large doses of Prednisone for ~10 years. My body shows the signs.

quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
I should find out this week whether my insurance will cover this state-of-art drug for the treatment of atopic dermatitis (also asthma). The list price is $3,110.09 per application (a self-administered injection every 2 weeks). $37k/year is a bit rich for my immuno-compromised blood.

Anyone else using it? Experiences? I've heard some life-changing stories. Just need to get off this damn Prednisone.

Dupixent

Posts: 94 | Location: Spokane Washington | Registered: June 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I'm amazed insurance will even cover this. Then again they may negotiate steep discounts.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Approved!!!

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

posted Hide Post
Congrats!!!!

Posts: 1496 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been using it for about 18-months. Its been life changing, cleared everything up with no issues. With my insurance, each prescription is $50 for two injectors.

The only side-effect I experienced was itchy eyes. The edges of my eye-lids (where eyelash follicles are) would itch however, that irritation would subside after about 6-8 months from initial usage. Occasionally I get some dryness on my finger knuckles but, nothing that can't be knocked-down with a steroid scream/ointment.

For me, I noticed small improvements like skin-calming within 48-hours, within 3-weeks, things will clear, by 1.5 months, any spots of irritation were gone. I never was on Prednisone however, I hope your quality of life improves as it has with my usage of Dupixent.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
kkina- I am on Dupixent and have been on for a little over 15 months. It has cleared the extremely severe eczema I was having, and I am told that another year of this treatment, I will be fully cured of the condition. However, MCare ( my insurance co.), refused to pay for this medication, said that it was too expensive. So, I applied for the Patient Assistance Program, and the company sends me the medication straight to my door every month.
I have had no side effects from taking Dupixent, and I would highly recommend it to you, kkina.
Best of luck to you.
-Sid

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only side-effect I experienced was itchy eyes.

Conjunctivitis is the only common side effect that worries me. Glad to hear yours eventually went away.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:
The only side-effect I experienced was itchy eyes.

Conjunctivitis is the only common side effect that worries me. Glad to hear yours eventually went away.

Well, it wasn't the eyeball itself but the edges of the eyelid. Post shower and dry air like freezing temps or, dry winds would encourage the irritation; I would use Costco Systane eyedrops to help moisturize the area. Fortunately, things calmed down and it doesn't happen much any more.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Got my first shot (actually 2 initial shots) today. Keeping my fingers crossed.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Good luck and keep us updated. Smile

Posts: 4682 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two weeks in, how are you doing kkina?

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
It's still too early to call, but I can report that my usual bedtime itching sessions have been getting progressively less severe. I am getting way more sleep than I usually do. My mother also mentioned how my skin seems much clearer.

It takes many people about a month to fully realize the effect. So far, things seem to be right on track.

Shot #2 is this coming Tuesday.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

posted Hide Post
Good to hear, hope the progression continues as the doses build upon each other.

You'll defiantly notice the calming effect, and odd but refreshing return to 'normalcy'. You'll also notice decrease in the creams/ointment prescriptions. Further along, I noticed myself not using as much lotion, a bottle will last me a few months now.

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Already noticed using way less cortisone and moisturizing creams.

EDIT Dec. 1: Gave myself first self-administered shot, went well. And yes, I do feel an odd sense of well-being and "normalcy", which for me isn't normal as I've had eczema all my life. Wow, this is how most people feel?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."