SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hawaiians receive a false alarm of incoming missile
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hawaiians receive a false alarm of incoming missile Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
There have been reports the Emergency Management Agency has received death threats following the false alarm on Sat. So far they have not released the name of the button pusher...anyone want to trade places with him? All we know is that he was reassigned to a different position within the department. May not be bad idea if he resigned voluntarily, and moved out of state, once his name gets out there the backlash will be with him the rest of his life.

As far as learning from this incident, I don't expect much improvement, people usually have to die first...before anything meaningful gets done.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Couldn't the button pusher at least have waited until the day of one of the Obama Family Hawaiian vacations?

Just to see what the USSS does?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10923 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
The worst part is that these threats have real validity because of the president we now have. I'm not trying to make a political point, necessarily, but leadership matters. The immature messages the current commander in chief has sent to North Korean leader Kim Jong Un made a ballistic missile attack on an American territory seem extremely likely.

Oh please. What a smarmy, sniveling tool.

Stoopid CNN article on what it was like for the visitors.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12416 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
The worst part is that these threats have real validity because of the president we now have. I'm not trying to make a political point, necessarily, but leadership matters. The immature messages the current commander in chief has sent to North Korean leader Kim Jong Un made a ballistic missile attack on an American territory seem extremely likely.
Oh please. What a smarmy, sniveling tool.

Stoopid CNN article on what it was like for the visitors.
that's the one thing i wish THE DRUDGE REPORT would do - i.d. the news service so i can avoid certain ones.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
LOL

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12331 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Apologies in advance

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Apologies in advance

Ahh, we'll get over it. Big Grin

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rpm2010:So far they have not released the name of the button pusher...anyone want to trade places with him? ....
once his name gets out there the backlash will be with him the rest of his life.

Hawaii is like a backwoods village. The social hierarchy is set by which high school you attended, who's your cousin and of course where you live; the gossip winds blow like hurricane and it can be mind-numbingly ridiculous. Eventually, at some point, this person's name will get leaked-out...and they'll probably move to the mainland, if they haven't already started working on that.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
As someone "in the know" with regards to this topic.

I was pissed that it woke me up on my day off!

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
As someone "in the know" with regards to this topic.

I was pissed that it woke me up on my day off!

Same here. I found out when a buddy called thinking his cell phone was hacked. He asked if I was getting an alert. At first I thought it was about rough seas since we were taking the boat out, but then I looked at my phone and it said inbound missile and that sure woke me up.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
A look at the system used for the alert.
http://www.businessinsider.com...ity-criticism-2018-1

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Emergency Communication After Hawaii: Lessons Learned, 1-15-2018

Emergency Communication After Hawaii: Lessons Learned

I’ve long been interested in how journalists and police departments and federal authorities can effectively convey critical information to a public that, by and large, mistrusts large institutions and can get their critical information from the Big Platform companies.

The push-button ballistic missile alert that panicked Hawaii will not help restore Hawaiians’ collective trust in any form communication. Though the state’s civil defense agency — ah, that is, “emergency management agency” in 21st century language, has reprogrammed the wireless alert system with checks and templates for corrections, it’s not unwarranted to assume that a real alert — and let’s hope one is never issued — will be discounted by a not insignificant portion of the population.

Periacquiductal-gray-induced (PAG) panic — the fight-flight-freeze response IS the order of the moment when humans (and other animals with brains) are faced with existential traumas and disasters. In this case, “fleeing” is better than freezing — it almost always is. But the PAG system, like other parts of the brain, is somewhat plastic. Humans can integrate past experiences to produce different responses to trauma, which is why a variety of therapies for post-traumatic stress actually work. Getting thyself quickly to a shelter or to an interior warren in a strong building can actually increase your chances of surviving even a hydrogen bomb blast. Delays can kill. But I would forgive Hawaiians for wanting to double-and-triple check the next time they receive an emergency alert.

Here s a fascinating real-time window into how a select group of people with emergency training responded to the Hawaii alert:

https://youtu.be/I7Cb3FIUpXw

Scanner Radio posted the 19-minutes it took for first responders to full process the initial alert and its subsequent correction. (An actual “whoops!” message was not issued until 38 minutes after the original warning). Listening can help clue us to potential problems that might crop up. It’s a horrible sort of real-world laboratory, but here we are. For example:

— the phone system crashed very quickly.

— Some police agencies were able to get through to the “state warning point” — officialspeak for the people who push the alert buttons — but others were not

— Local police officers did not seem fully briefed on the location of the shelters.

— Local police officers DID believe that a ballistic missile launch would automatically be accompanied by other alerting measures, like warning sirens. Since those did not sound, these officers were skeptical about the alert.

— Local news is critical. If you listen carefully, the police can be heard asking their dispatchers to turn on the radio and television. (At one point, after a dispatcher informed all of the officers of her radio channel that the alert was false, another officer chimes in to say that local TV news was insisting that the threat was real.)

— Although Hawaii — and uniquely, Hawaii — has been holding public drills, tourists don’t seem to be adequately informed about what to do.

In Hawaii, the State Emergency Operations Center has two separate “entry points” for alerts. One carries state alerts, and the other processes alerts received by satellite or cable from the federal government. State alerts are divided into two subcategories. Audio alerts flow via microwave to television and radio stations that are designated as Primary Entrance Points for the information. These alerts can also be generated by the TV and radio stations and picked up by state emergency managers for further distributions.

Another second type of state alert uses different technology and is carried by a different portion of the radio spectrum: the Emergency Wireless Alert system sends digital text messages out through the 700 Mhz band directly to a special antenna built in to your mobile phone. Only that system was activated on Saturday morning. The others stayed silent.

The Emergency Wireless Alert system, architected by FEMA and built, in a sense, by local and national telecommunication carriers, is NOT directly tied in to the other national alert systems that FEMA administrates. It’s practical to build redundancy and air gaps into alert systems — and Hawaii is thankful that an EWS alert announcing a ballistic missile did not automatically trigger other types of warnings.

^^ yt video (audio) Honolulu and Maui Dispatch Scanner Audio Hawaii response to the ballistic missile alert - 19 minutes:

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/0...issle-alert-mistake/

Hawaii Governor Was Slow To Correct Missile Blunder Because He Forgot His Twitter Password

More than a week after a false alarm claimed that a missile was headed towards Hawaii and sparked widespread panic, the governor of America’s 50th state made an embarrassing admission as to why it took officials so long to defuse the phony alert.

Although Governor David Ige reportedly knew the alert was a mistake two minutes after it was sent, Ige confessed he forgot what his Twitter password was and couldn’t tell the public as a result.

“I have to confess that I don’t know my Twitter account log-ons and the passwords, so certainly that’s one of the changes that I’ve made. I’ve been putting that on my phone so that we can access the social media directly,” Gov. Ige said, via the Honolulu Star Advertiser.

Questions had been mounting since the early morning panic on Jan. 13, when the governor was noticeably silent for 17 minutes after the missile alert was issued. At 8:24 a.m. local time, Ige finally gained access to his Twitter to join local senators in squashing the alarm

Posts: 19572 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

Hawaii Governor Was Slow To Correct Missile Blunder Because He Forgot His Twitter Password

You have got to be shitting me. Eek

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

You have got to be shitting me. Eek

You mean that he doesn't know it - which many of us don't?

Or the fact that some dim bulb thinks a tweeted reply is the way to correct this rather than picking up the phone and CALLING THE FREAKING AGENCY WHO ISSUED THIS? Have we come to the point that idiots actually think a social media discussion is the way to communicate, let alone correct/contradict, critical information???

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12416 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
HAWAIIAN WHO SENT FALSE MISSILE ALERT WON’T COOPERATE WITH INVESTIGATION

http://www.powerlineblog.com/a...th-investigation.php

The false alarm of an incoming missile attack that panicked Hawaii for 45 minutes was one of the strangest news stories of recent years. Hawaiian authorities have said that a state employee “accidentally pushed a wrong button,” an explanation that has provoked hilarity in some quarters. But now there is an interesting development: the employee who “pushed a wrong button” is refusing to cooperate with investigators:

The employee who sent the false missile alert in Hawaii, causing widespread panic and confusion, is refusing to cooperate with the investigation, a federal official said Thursday.

Lisa Fowlkes, public safety bureau chief for Federal Communications Commission (FCC), told senators in a hearing that she was generally pleased with the cooperation from officials in Hawaii, but that “one key employee, the person who transmitted the false alert, is refusing to cooperate.”

But Clairmont also suggested that the incident could be more than just a case of someone pressing the wrong button, telling the Star-Advertiser that “it’s not as easy saying it was one person doing this.”

A total of four people were on duty that Saturday morning, he said, and the employee who sent the alert is both a 10-year veteran of the agency and “very well-trained and seasoned.”

The offending employee has not been identified. Here is a wild guess: the employee who “pushed the wrong button” is a fanatical anti-Trump Democrat who believed that causing hysteria over a presumed North Korean missile attack would somehow make the president look bad. If that guess is incorrect, maybe the anonymous employee should start cooperating with the investigation.

that is some wild guess

Posts: 19572 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Nobody got my Makita joke.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023