SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hawaiians receive a false alarm of incoming missile
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hawaiians receive a false alarm of incoming missile Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted
Way to go, idiots. Roll Eyes

Hawaii emergency officials say ballistic missile threat alert was a mistake
By Kathleen Joyce | Fox News

Hawaiians receive a false alarm of incoming missile
Rep. Tulsi Gabbard says push alert sent to phones was a false alarm.

Hawaii emergency officials confirmed Saturday an alert that a ballistic missile was inbound to the island was a mistake.

Earlier Saturday, Hawaiian citizens reported receiving an emergency alert on their phone that stated: “BALLISTIC MISSILE THREAT INBOUND TO HAWAII. SEEK IMMEDIATE SHELTER. THIS IS NOT A DRILL.”

House Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, D-Hawaii, tweeted in regard to the alert: “HAWAII – THIS IS A FALSE ALARM. THERE IS NO INCOMING MISSILE TO HAWAII. I HAVE CONFIRMED WITH OFFICIALS THERE IS NO INCOMING MISSILE.”

Hawaii Emergency Management Agency tweeted that there was “NO missile threat” to the state.

Hawaii Emergency Management agency spokesman Richard Repoza said the alert was a false alarm. He said the agency was working to determine what happened.

The alert created panic for residents on the island and across social media.

Fox News' Chad Pergram said he spoke to two people on the Kona side of the island who said they were told to stay in their hotel room and that there was a missile incoming.

Cdr. Dave Benham, a spokesman for U.S. Pacific Command, told Fox News they have "detected no ballistic missile threat to Hawaii. Earlier message was sent in error. State of Hawaii will send out a correction message as soon as possible."

Sen. Brian Schatz, D-Hawaii, tweeted “it was a false alarm based on human error. There is nothing more important to Hawaii than professionalizing and fool-proofing this process."

Schatz wrote in a separate tweet that what happened was "totally inexcusable."

"The whole state was terrified. There needs to be tough and quick accountability and a fixed process," the senator wrote.

The second alert sent by Hawaii’s Emergency Management Agency telling citizens there was no threat arrived approximately 38 minutes after the ballistic warning threat.

Sen. Mazie Hirono, D-Hawaii, tweeted that she would work to find out what occurred.

“Today’s alert was a false alarm,” Hirono wrote. “At a time of heightened tensions, we need to make sure all information released to the community is accurate. We need to get to the bottom of what happened and make sure it never happens again.”

It was not immediately clear if President Trump has been briefed on the incident.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018...ert-was-mistake.html

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
I talked with a buddy of mine this morning. The message came in as they were driving to breakfast. He says they passed tons of folks just standing outside in their pj/shorts/etc with phones in hand looking out to sea.

Shelter? What shelter? Smile

He said he thought about pulling over and trying to find a culvert pipe or something but he gave up and kept motoring on to the Waffle joint.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Hey, I'm sure if there really was one, they could get that Circuit Court idiot to write an opinion saying it didn't exist.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are in Kona visiting my parents. It has been fun “calming” my children this morning. They were telling their grandma, “I don’t want to die!”

The younger ones had no clue of course. They were like their dad and didn’t panic. I knew we didn’t have anywhere to go if it was real...

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men have insurance." JALLEN

Posts: 961 | Location: Shadow of St. Helens | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I cannot imagine the panic and horror.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Takes the meaning of "fake news" to a whole 'nother level!

Posts: 1178 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
My son lives on Oahu, 17th floor, oh and today is his birthday.

He is saying lots of panic in the streets and a realization there's nowhere to go (bomb shelters) for the populous. He and my soon to be daughter in law were smart enough to realize the best they could do was sit and wait in the center of the apartment.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The accounts from Hawaii are wild. A moto group I follow on Facebook has a few people posting about how the roads turned into a race track and people really freaked out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
they're on an island - where they gonna go? To another part of the island?

morons and idiots

probably suffering from heat stroke and Trump derangement Syndrome

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
A wrong button was pushed during a shift change? Jesus, really? That caused this insane mess? Wow.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that's nuts.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
he gave up and kept motoring on to the Waffle joint.

If you are going to die, might as well get some vittles.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My guess is that there will be a job opening shortly. Perhaps this time some training will be required along with a rudimentary screening.

I am sort of surprised as they seemed prepared for Tsunami warnings.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
My guess is that there will be a job opening shortly. Perhaps this time some training will be required along with a rudimentary screening.

I am sort of surprised as they seemed prepared for Tsunami warnings.

And maybe they'll finally move the "Missile INBOUND Button" so it's not right next to the shift change button, whatever that is.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
My son lives on Oahu, 17th floor, oh and today is his birthday.

He is saying lots of panic in the streets and a realization there's nowhere to go (bomb shelters) for the populous. He and my soon to be daughter in law were smart enough to realize the best they could do was sit and wait in the center of the apartment.

They were panicked because their cell phones didn't have enough battery life left to video the incoming missile.

In times of stress like this, one must keep firmly in mind what is really important.

Charge your batteries!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
And maybe they'll finally move the "Missile INBOUND Button" so it's not right next to the shift change button, whatever that is.

LOL! and maybe put a couple bucks on one of these...

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Ren & Stimpy must work for the Hawaii Emergency Management agency.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/dM3xL3tZChM

And Stimpy just couldn't resist.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/Yx_fKg2Cn48

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
If everyone on the island would just run to the east side of the island, they could tip the west side up and the missle would fly under the island into the ocean.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
If everyone on the island would just run to the east side of the island, they could tip the west side up and the missle would fly under the island into the ocean.

That would only work in Guam Smile

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1365 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Hawaii is officially out of clean underwear...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post