SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Nov. 10, 1975 - The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nov. 10, 1975 - The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald Login/Join 
Eschew Obfuscation
posted
Requiescat in pace

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RIP, Mariners, all 29 souls.
I have been to White Fish Point, and even in the summer, it feels erie up there.Maybe because of the images and story of the SS Edmund Fitzgerald in my mind.
RIP.

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I lived in Fenton Michigan as a child at that time. We had our sailboat in Sanilac but had pulled out of water by this time. I knew the lakes and had my share of scares with parents and friends - love the water but the great lakes are unique...and November storms are cool to watch from land but mother nature is powerful.

I clearly remember the reports, questioning what happened and the storm. But my clearest memory is reading the Detroit newspaper at breakfast in our bay windows with the graphics explaining what they found when the wreck was located. Probably one of the first times that Death and permanency of dying really sunk in as they explored the bridge and located the crew. I was like 8 years old.

Godspeed

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Just the other week there was a good storm in 'Da Yoop', high winds, low pressure, nasty.

A relative sent a picture of an ore freighter tucked fairly deep in Keweenaw Bay on Lake Superior. Even back in the 70's there should of been plenty of weather info at hand & on the reading.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
God I HATE that song .

Posts: 4056 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
God I love that song.

Keep Americans working, buy American made!

Posts: 709 | Location: western PA | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
God I HATE that song .

That's unfortunate. I love the song and think it is a tremendous tribute to the men who lost their lives that day.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
God I HATE that song .

Then go away.

Whether or not you like Gordon Lightfoot, I think it is a moving tribute.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
God I HATE that song .

Then go away.

Whether or not you like Gordon Lightfoot, I think it is a moving tribute.

Absolutely, very moving.
That song still gives me the shivers so many years later.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
How can you hate a song with arguably the best lyric ever put music:

Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours...

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
How can you hate a song with arguably the best lyric ever put music:

Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours...

Yep. I love that song. I love the way the lyrics describe the wreck. Lake Huron rolls, Superior sings
In the ruins of her ice water mansion
. Truly haunting... an epic song!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
We lived in the UP from '76-79 and my parents recall that the Fitz was still very fresh in peoples minds. I was too young to have any idea of what went on, other than there were big ships and water around.

They had friends with sons working the iron ore routes and would collect paperback books for when they came to port in Marquette - with no internet / TV / etc, that was the only real entertainment for the fellas.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
"On the big lake they call Gitchigumi."

Haunting song. Terrible tragedy.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
How does a storm on the Great Lakes compare to one in the deep ocean?

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:

I'm interested in that as well. I've heard that the relatively shallow water makes it worse under similar conditions. Of course, no hurricanes. The Great Lakes have certainly taken down their share of ships over the years.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I think this storm in question had a record(or close to a record) low pressure. That lead to the very high winds. Then the ship ends up in the wrong part of the big lake, set up so the winds get the water stirred up.

Then before you know, what wasn't supposed to be possible, happens.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I have a student this quarter who was in grade school in the Michigan UP when the ship went down.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xl_target:... very moving.
That song still gives me the shivers so many years later.

Amen.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Fellas its been good to know ya.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:

The waves bounce back off the shoreline and create some interesting effects. Large waves with much shorter periods than would happen in open ocean.

Since visiting the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum, that song is my 7 yo son's favorite. We see the Arthur M. Andersen on a fairly regular basis from our house on Lake Huron.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post