SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need a solution for Mole/Vole issues.....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a solution for Mole/Vole issues..... Login/Join 
Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
We had a major mole infestation this year following a mild winter. I used the poison worms (very expensive), camphor granules (have to apply monthly, expensive), chewing gum and I think one or two other things without the level of success that I was looking for in my yard. I finally bit the bullet and purchased a couple ultrasonic devices off of Amazon. So far they seem to be doing better than anything. I have had no trails appear in over a month since deploying the devices. Worth a try, you can always send back if they do not work.

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
You can kill as many as you like. As long as the food source(s) remain in your yard, more will come.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin
the fella across the street moved in to his currant house , in town , because of moles/voles, out in the country.

he had a custom home built 7 years ago, two years later he had a mole problem after three years and four companies , he gave up and just relocated.

his old home, set empty for 11 months. he just got plain old fed up

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I originally read your title and thought you were making a delicious mole sauce and needed help. Then I was wondering what a vole sauce was because I had never heard of that.

Made more sense when I clicked on the thread.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a mole problem too. So far I have tried poison worm, smoke bombs and mouse traps. I have only killed three.

I have tried castor oil in a hose sprayer which seems to work but needs to applied at least biweekly if not more depending on rain.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nukeandpave:
You can kill as many as you like. As long as the food source(s) remain in your yard, more will come.

Although moles like grubs, earthworms are their main food source. If you have good soil that supports earthworms, moles won't leave without other encouragement.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I understand the MOAB is good for annoying things in tunnels.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
My best luck has been scissor traps. When one comes in a look for feeding tunnels. These don't have mole hills and appear just under the sod. You see the grass pushed up.
My best luck has been with my daughters corgi. He's trained for it. The guy waits out in the lawn until he hears the mole. Then it's a polar bear pounce and dirt flies.
Keep thinking n mind their range is extensive. You see them see them, then they disappear. That's why some mole stuff appears to work.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Jacket:
This:

http://www.victorpest.com/vict...i-_SdxX6YaAiZ68P8HAQ
Yes.

I have one; it has never failed me.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16514 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Read on another forum about using calcium chloride, CaC2, which was used in miners lamps to produce acetylene gas for the flame. Place granules in the mole/vole tunnels at intervals, and contact with soil moisture, water, creates acetylene gas which asphyxiates the little devils.
Haven't tried this, but maybe? If you used enough maybe create a mini moab? Roll Eyes

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
When the comet or nuclear winter comes, the only thing left will be cockroaches, sharks and moles.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Let me be the first to say blow them mf'ers up with the Rodenator:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/fIMfir6r1Rc

I built a hillbilly version of one of these with a mini Oxy/MAPP torch, a long wand air blower & a grill igniter.
It would probably work better on prairie dog holes - I think mole holes are too shallow to hold the gas in long enough.
I did get a couple impressive shots, but mostly fizzes. Smelled burning fur a few times, but unconfirmed kills.

Rat poison is better & why I didn't mention it until now.
Insecticide for the grubs (Japanese beetle larvae) helps your lawn, but moles also eat earthworms. You don't have to 'water it in', but it won't reach the target until it rains, so timing is key.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
The website says Oxygen and Propane ignited. Looks like fun. Don't try this at home!!! Kind of like using dynamite to blow out the stump in your front yard. Neighbors in a subdivision might be aggravated.

They are fun. My daughters FIL has one that I borrowed a few years ago to eliminate those pesky critters from my field.

Give a hole about 20 seconds of gas then hit the ignition button. Booooom. The ground raises up and a big smile appears on your face.

Don't do it if the tunnel goes under a driveway or sidewalk that you want to keep.

Now that the biggest problems are solved, I just use some poisoned oats when a new family moves in.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Give these guys a try. Looking at the pictures tells the story. Big Grin Eek I had little success with the Victor mole trap.

http://www.traplineproducts.com/

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I drown the ones I had in CA. Put the garden hoses down every hole I could find and let em soak for as long as it took.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like the Rodinator is a Handheld MOAB.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I tried the Victor trap first with only limited success. It would only kill a mole about 1 in every 5 times that the trap would go off. I think I got about 2 or 3 moles total with 3 traps last year. Lots of tripped traps with no dead moles. It was not plunging down far enough and eventually the legs get bent making it even weaker.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...ilpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I then got a pair of these Wire Tek scissor traps and they work much much better. I got about 8 or 10 moles with them last year and two more just this weekend.

The springs are very strong, so if the trap goes off that mole is dead. It may take a few tries to get it set to just the right depth to trigger the trap. If it's too deep in a shallow mole tunnel then the mole will run into it and go around it. If it's too shallow in a deeper tunnel then the mole will tunnel under it without setting it off. But once you get the feel for it the dead mole bodies will start to pile up.

Two traps on the same high traffic tunnel=two dead moles in 1 weekend:

I've also just tried these poison gummy worms. They are pricey and I don't know yet if they work. I had to use them because I have the big mounds of dirt in my backyard where the tunnels are too deep to be reached by the scissor trap.

I tried treating for grubs and it didn't make a bit of a difference. I have noticed that the moles go for rotting tree stumps, probably because that is where the grubs and other ground insects are feeding. So getting rid of stumps may help.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thermonuclear Vulcan
Picture of Zebulon
posted Hide Post
You Guys have been great...I really needed the laughs....These things are annoying and destructive. We spent a small fortune for Landscaping last year and the little Bastards ate most of our Flowers and Plants from the roots up. I found one more thing to try. I think they're called Gopher Getters....Like little sticks of Dynamite,,,,You put them in the hole and light them. They spew an obnoxious gas at the other end. I have a full week-end coming up.....Thanks again! Zebulon

Posts: 2761 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: November 19, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5yCwN7wymc

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post