SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ESPN layoffs- not enough in my book
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ESPN layoffs- not enough in my book Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I can't hear about ESPN without thinking of their giving of an award to Bruce Jenner for being a "hero".

Yeah, if Jenner had tried this "I'm a woman" horse shit in, say, 1977, then he could rightly be called courageous, because he would have been done. Let's say that shortly after coming to notoriety in the 1976 Olympics, Bruce Jenner the clean-cut all American gold medal athlete, called a press conference and declared to the world that he was changing his name to Tiffany because he feels pretty.

Now that would have taken balls.

quote:

Definition of delusion

:
the act of tricking or deceiving someone
:
the state of being deluded
•… accused the Bohemian of having practised the most abominable arts of delusion among the younger brethren. — Walter Scott

a
:
something that is falsely or delusively believed or propagated •under the delusion that they will finish on schedule •delusions of grandeur

b psychology
:
a persistent false psychotic belief regarding the self or persons or objects outside the self that is maintained despite indisputable evidence to the contrary •the delusion that someone was out to hurt him; also
:
the abnormal state marked by such beliefs

One does not fix a delusion by removing body parts with a scalpel.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe they will actually start showing sporting events again. I knew it was getting bad when the guys in suits talking about famous athletes became just as famous as them. I don't watch most sports channels anymore because it is always a bunch of suits spewing bs or the obvious. I'd take a jv football game being recorded by a parent in the stands anyday over that nonsense.

Posts: 177 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sure miss the days of Keith Jackson on ABC College football....."Whoa, Nellie!"....dam he was good and entertaining too.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't miss ESPN much all, the only thing I watch on it is Drag Racing on ESPN2. Other than that, I don't watch anything else on it. I find ball sports beyond boring. If I somehow had to give up cable, I would just pay NHRA the $99 they want for all access and say goodbye to ESPN. The only other sport I watch on TV is the PBR on CBS Sports Channel. I would miss the bulls more than Funny Cars. I would love it if they just went ala carte on cable channel choices. I would get rid of all the Spanish channels, the religious nut huckster channels, and the news channels too. Right now, with a bunch of less stuff than I used to have, my cable/internet bill is approaching $200 a month. The place I'm moving to comes with free cable and "high speed" internet, so there is almost $2400 a year I won't have to pay out a year.

Posts: 214 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Virginia sheepdog:
Maybe they will actually start showing sporting events again. I knew it was getting bad when the guys in suits talking about famous athletes became just as famous as them.

THIS has annoyed and disgusted me as much as anything else with ESPN- the "celebritization" of the "hosts."

Scott Van Pelt becomes "SVP!!!!!!!!!!!!" and these young morons "Michael and Jemele" are given their own show. Please, spare us from how cute and funny you think you are. You're acting like idiots.

Some of the old hold-overs, guys that have written for the newspapers for 30-40 years, are still ok. But they're getting few and very far between these days.

ESPN does indeed mostly suck, and has for a long time.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Trooperdan
posted Hide Post
Was Britt McHenry one of them? Remember her rant at the poor car impound lot woman?

http://nypost.com/2015/04/16/e...endant-in-ugly-rant/

Posts: 946 | Location: Raeford NC | Registered: April 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SummersAtTheLake:
I sure miss the days of Keith Jackson on ABC College football....."Whoa, Nellie!"....dam he was good and entertaining too.

Me too.

"And he's o-nly a soph-o-more!" Cool

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trooperdan:
Was Britt McHenry one of them? Remember her rant at the poor car impound lot woman?

I remember that incident...ugh!

According to Wikipedia;
On April 27, 2017, McHenry announced on Twitter that she was being let go by ESPN, with the NFL Draft being her last assignment.

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trooperdan:

She got sacked too.

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post