SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ESPN layoffs- not enough in my book
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ESPN layoffs- not enough in my book Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
http://www.foxnews.com/enterta...g-on-air-talent.html

I guess this will give these pandering douchebags more time to demonstrate to the world how "progressive" they are.

Remember when sports channels used to talk about sports? Now it's all about giving awards to Bruce Jenner's sister. Disgusting, and good riddance, you freakin' ridiculous halfwits.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Just one question. When did ESPN have "On Air Talent"?

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Too many high priced talking heads.
ESPN is a drag on overall Disney performance.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Just one question. When did ESPN have "On Air Talent"?

Or talent period?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
interesting because ESPN was seen as a cable success story not that long ago.

They were #1 in the ratings, I think including right now.

Sports networks were said to be responsible for much of cable TV's profit.

Oh well. no loss.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10923 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

Oh well. no loss.
ESPN still draws a crowd for its game broadcasts and always will. Where they've lost a step or ten is their sports news and editorial programming. Ratings have plummeted for those segments. Part of that is the availability of the same content online, but I think part is also their insistence on introducing social commentary into the sports arena.

I remember when Sportscenter was must-see TV. The anchors were entertaining (even Craig Kilborn), game highlights were the soul of the show, and there was no social agenda being pushed. Now it's like watching a Malcolm X sponsored Hallmark after school special with the occasional game clip thrown in. I can watch the Cubs highlights on my phone without having to sit through all of the fluff.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5282 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's my understanding that the largest factor in ESPN's decline is not viewer interest, but rather it's just cord-cutters. ESPN charges about $7 per subscriber for their service. That's everyone that has the basic cable package. That fee goes up if start adding the other ESPN channels. So you've got a bunch of people out there are supporting ESPN even though they never watch it (like I used to). When I ditched cable and went to internet tv only (netflix, hulu), ESPN lost $84 that year just from me. A whole lot of people are getting rid of cable tv and that really, really hurts ESPN's operating budget.

Posts: 729 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaaron11:
Now it's like watching a Malcolm X sponsored Hallmark after school special with the occasional game clip thrown in.

I couldn't have said it any better myself! Big Grin

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 888 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Yep, everyone thinks that espn is fully supported by it's own subscribers but technically most cable/satellite customers are subsidizing most if not all sports channels.

quote:
Originally posted by KDR:
It's my understanding that the largest factor in ESPN's decline is not viewer interest, but rather it's just cord-cutters. ESPN charges about $7 per subscriber for their service. That's everyone that has the basic cable package. That fee goes up if start adding the other ESPN channels. So you've got a bunch of people out there are supporting ESPN even though they never watch it (like I used to). When I ditched cable and went to internet tv only (netflix, hulu), ESPN lost $84 that year just from me. A whole lot of people are getting rid of cable tv and that really, really hurts ESPN's operating budget.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Ed Werder is the only name on the "on-air" list that I recognized. I doubt seriously that the networks moves signal any kind of course correction--just a few different people toeing the same old "progressive" line.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
Yep, everyone thinks that espn is fully supported by it's own subscribers but technically most cable/satellite customers are subsidizing most if not all sports channels.

quote:
Originally posted by KDR:
My cable company has a package without ESPN. It's $30-$40/month cheaper so I have that Mid-January to Late August. Once football season starts, I get the top package. This gets me more actual football games. I don't give a crap about sports center and talking heads who are trying to fill the air on 5 ESPN channels, SEC Network, and B1G Network.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
To many people pro sports is a great distraction from politics and the day to day grind. ESPN's decision to inject a good deal of leftist politics into their programming has hurt them. Sure people cutting cable TV and going to the internet for entertainment is a factor but ESPN's politics is a factor too.

I'm at the point where I won't support, view or give clicks to media outlets I hate. Full ban. I'd rather be uninformed than misinformed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I love all these excuses as to WHY they are effed: "cord cutters!" "Millennials don't watch TV!" "Our broadcast fees are rising!"

Ummm...no. You douchebags tried to go left and also ditch your core demographic (white males, GASP!) while pandering to transgenders and America-haters.

Roll Eyes

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I cant even spell ESPN...

Fuck them. Never watch it, never will. They wont miss me because I've never been there

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaaron11:
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

Oh well. no loss.
ESPN still draws a crowd for its game broadcasts and always will. Where they've lost a step or ten is their sports news and editorial programming. Ratings have plummeted for those segments. Part of that is the availability of the same content online, but I think part is also their insistence on introducing social commentary into the sports arena.

I remember when Sportscenter was must-see TV. The anchors were entertaining (even Craig Kilborn), game highlights were the soul of the show, and there was no social agenda being pushed. Now it's like watching a Malcolm X sponsored Hallmark after school special with the occasional game clip thrown in. I can watch the Cubs highlights on my phone without having to sit through all of the fluff.

this. the demand for the games will always be there. but espn's editorializing and general dumbassery has lost them viewership. and to answer the above joking question, yes, espn did have good on-air talent. they had a lot of genuinely entertaining people on the show (dan patrick, kenny mayne, stuart scott, craig kilborn, and even keith olbermann were all very good at what they did then.) sportscenter was funny and was an actual sports highlight show, rather than the op-ed, SJW, staged-argument fest that it has become.

cord-cutters have hurt their business somewhat, but espn is also what really keeps cord-cutting services like sling profitable.

and the other thing is that espn has ridden this sports bubble for awhile and it is going to burst at some time. they have ridden the wave of demand to have EVERY game at all times, airing 40 or 50 (more?) college football games per week over 7 or 8 different channels and streaming online. all of that production costs a lot of money. when the bubble bursts, they're left with all of the employees it takes to produce one of those broadcasts that now, nobody cares enough to watch.

what I hope happens is that colleges and teams decide to record and distribute their own content. that's the best a la carte I can think of. I'm sure most of them are not far off from being able to do that.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Didn't they have to do the same thing about three or four years ago?

And is that douchebag Stephen A Smith gone yet?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Didn't they have to do the same thing about three or four years ago?

And is that douchebag Stephen A Smith gone yet?

stephen a smith is the personifcation of EVERYTHING that is wrong with ESPN.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Another industry pricing itself out of business, both the cable companies and the content providers.

I have a friend at ESPN, I hope he's in the clear, he's got enough problems lately without losing his job too.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I can't hear about ESPN without thinking of their giving of an award to Bruce Jenner for being a "hero".

Yeah, if Jenner had tried this "I'm a woman" horse shit in, say, 1977, then he could rightly be called courageous, because he would have been done. Let's say that shortly after coming to notoriety in the 1976 Olympics, Bruce Jenner the clean-cut all American gold medal athlete, called a press conference and declared to the world that he was changing his name to Tiffany because he feels pretty.

Now that would have taken balls.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't hear about ESPN without thinking of their giving of an award to Bruce Jenner for being a "hero".

Yeah, if Jenner had tried this "I'm a woman" horse shit in, say, 1977, then he could rightly be called courageous, because he would have been done. Let's say that shortly after coming to notoriety in the 1976 Olympics, Bruce Jenner the clean-cut all American gold medal athlete, called a press conference and declared to the world that he was changing his name to Tiffany because he feels pretty.

Now that would have taken balls.

Para that last line is classic!

Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies.

Gene Hill

Posts: 626 | Registered: July 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post