SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Questions about HULU
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions about HULU Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Recently I upgraded from a 15 year old 65" RPTV to a new 4K HDR Dolby Vision 65" LED set and a full featured 4K Blu-ray player from my decade old Oppo DVD player.

I pulled the plug completely at the same time. In addition to OTA, my 4K Roku TV is set up with the likes of Tubi, PlutoTV, Sony Crackle, Roku, Xumo, Filmrise, popcornflix, etc. As an aside I like Tubi best as it gives you a 9 second countdown to when commercials run so you can mute them and even tells you how many. Granted these free services don't have the latest and greatest but still.

Along with the 4K Blu-Ray player and my DVD library, I also feed movies and series found online from my desktop computer which is connected via HDMI to the big screen.

After 2.5 months with this setup I've found I have no desire for Netflix, Hulu, or any other pay streaming service. YMMV Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Recently I upgraded from a 15 year old 65" RPTV to a new 4K HDR Dolby Vision 65" LED set and a full featured 4K Blu-ray player from my decade old Oppo DVD player.

I pulled the plug completely at the same time. In addition to OTA, my 4K Roku TV is set up with the likes of Tubi, PlutoTV, Sony Crackle, Roku, Xumo, Filmrise, popcornflix, etc. As an aside I like Tubi best as it gives you a 9 second countdown to when commercials run so you can mute them and even tells you how many. Granted these free services don't have the latest and greatest but still.

Along with the 4K Blu-Ray player and my DVD library, I also feed movies and series found online from my desktop computer which is connected via HDMI to the big screen.

After 2.5 months with this setup I've found I have no desire for Netflix, Hulu, or any other pay streaming service. YMMV Big Grin

All of those free, nice. I am trying to figure out how to get BTN for free if possible. I see it's on Youtube and Hulu for $45-50 a month.

BTN(Big Ten Network) is the only reason we have held on to Direct TV. We have Netflix and Prime now.

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
I am trying to figure out how to get BTN for free if possible. I see it's on Youtube and Hulu for $45-50 a month.

BTN(Big Ten Network) is the only reason we have held on to Direct TV. We have Netflix and Prime now.

Yeah I don't know any way around it except a pay service to get BTN. My neighbor activates DirectTV for the football season (NFL, and college) and then cancels.

And as far as these pay streaming services go, I think the onslaught of further splintering has begun. No way will I sign up for a half dozen to get what I may want. I'll wait until stuff hits the free services.

As for sports, the politicization these last few years has turned me off from watching. That said I will tune in to internet radio broadcasts of some events. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
And FYI, with a Spotify subscription, you get Hulu free included. That's a pretty awesome deal.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
And FYI, with a Spotify subscription, you get Hulu free included. That's a pretty awesome deal.

I'm only seeing that under a college student plan.

https://promo.spotify.com/us/s...n_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aside from what everyone said, how to get Hulu has been covered very well by other forum members.

I have the Sony PSVUE streaming TV and they have various packages of tv channels and I prefer that to HULU as it also includes free DVR, up to 4 devices and the advertised price, is the price and no contract. That combined with Netflix and I'm set. You may be able to get Netflix and have enough content to not need live TV and it's about $12 per month. Direct TV NOW also has similar packages and most have no contract. So check out HULU, NETFLIX, Direct TV NOW, and PSVUE's websites and see which one suits you the best. I cut my cable bill in half by dropping xfinity and going to PSVUE.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
If you buy a new Roku streaming device, you get several 30 day free trials, including Hulu.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Will HULU stream directly from their website? I have a dedicated Windows 10 “media server” connected to my TV via HDMI.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

I'm only seeing that under a college student plan.

https://promo.spotify.com/us/s...n_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have spotify and get a Hulu subscription through my spotify account. I sure ain't no student.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I use the Amazon fire stick for Hulu live. Cut my Spectrum bill significantly & don’t miss it.

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
As some have said, other than getting a Roku, Firestick, Apple TV 4K, etc, many new smart TVs have these apps already built in.

Again, I use an Apple TV 4K with Sony PlayStation Vue as my main streaming service. The experience is very much like regular cable. The positive with PS Due is that you can download apps like Science Channel, ESPN, Discovery Channel, HGTV, etc and use the PS Vue credentials to sign into the apps.

The reason that is important is that you can download those types of channel apps, but if you don't have a cable type service, you won't be able to view that content. PS Vue is a cable content type provider so you get to use those sign in credential to view those apps. That allows you to watch each channel's content rather than watch was is currently on live.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1170 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have basic Hulu. I snagged a 1 year $1 /month deal. I find out we seldom watch.

We have access to local tv all major networks via antenna.

Streaming services:
Direct tv now. Not as good a deal since price increase but does have OAN.

Prime
Netflix
Motortrend tv

If you are a pbs member the pbs app gets you access to archived nova and other shows.

Hoopla if you are a library member and your library is affiliated.

We are using amazon fire sticks. If you get one get the 4K model it is much faster.

I will probably switch to YouTube tv if I get fed up with directv no (name changed to at&t tv now or something like that).

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Look, for all of you considering moving to a streaming service like Hulu or Youtube TV, do yourself a favor. Get a Roku player, install it, and then take advantage of each services free week of service. That way you can get a feel for the interface and channel list for yourself. Try before you buy. And since I really dig sports, YouTube TV is hard to beat.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Samsung Smart TV with Hulu, Netflix, Prime & YouTubeTV here.

Shared acct with Netflix, Prime via work, pay for the other 2.

YouTubeTV I got for F1 coverage, much preferred it to PSVue.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
A question from the techno challenged.

If I understand this correct, HULU is a Streaming service across your internet. So, our current plan allows 1-terabite and then they charge more. So would HULU eat into this streaming Terabite? Will we exceed 1-TB a month?Currently we use about 75 GB a month. And yes we do have wi-fi.

Thanks

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:

If I understand this correct, HULU is a Streaming service across your internet. So, our current plan allows 1-terabite and then they charge more. So would HULU eat into this streaming Terabite? Will we exceed 1-TB a month?Currently we use about 75 GB a month. And yes we do have wi-fi.

Thanks

If your ISP limits your data, yes Hulu will count towards that. I can't see you getting even close to using a terabyte though, especially if you are only at 75gb right now.

We use Hulu and sling TV and Netflix, probably about 3 hours per day, plus our regular internet usage (no gaming). Our highest month was 300gb of data.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:

Thanks

If your ISP limits your data, yes Hulu will count towards that. I can't see you getting even close to using a terabyte though, especially if you are only at 75gb right now.

We use Hulu and sling TV and Netflix, probably about 3 hours per day, plus our regular internet usage (no gaming). Our highest month was 300gb of data.

I download movies to my IPAD pro from Netflix a typical 1.5-2.5 hour movie is generally 200-350 MB's. I don't think it would be possible to hit 1TB streaming TV unless you simply left it streaming 24/7.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
Spotify Premium -- the version where you pay a monthly fee -- does include a Hulu basic subscription (the version with ads).

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post