SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Health benefits of magnets
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Health benefits of magnets Login/Join 
posted
Do any of you have experiences with using magnets to help with ailments? We use to use special blankets on the expensive horses that had magnets in them. I had a waist wrap that had magnets in it when I was a teenager recovering from cracked ribs.
I helped an older gentleman that had magnet socks & he loves them. Have any of you tried them? Did they help? What brand? I am thinking of getting my dog a bed with them.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Zero.
Absolutely zero.

Crystals and karma alignments have the same effect.

https://www.livescience.com/40...agnetic-therapy.html

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39713 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are no health benefits to magnets. None. Zero. Zilch. It is quackery.

Any perceived benefit is placebo.

Save your money.

Subscribe to Skeptical Inquirer magazine. Read evidence based medicine web site. Learn to spot such Hokum.

Posts: 775 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Static magnets = snake oil. Pulsed Electromagnetic Field Therapy...well, on my second day of trials. PEMF

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16248 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See, I figure a lot of the benefits have to do with the placebo effect, but I'm in the camp of the mind is a powerful tool & it does no harm. My thing is that my dog isn't going to have the placebo effect because even if I tell him it's gonna make him feel like a young pup again, he doesn't really have a clue what I'm talking about.
I think the wrap I had as a teenager helped mainly because of the compression value, but again, the magnets wouldn't have hurt anyway so no harm.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Didn't mean to invalidate your experience. If you think they do something, by all means continue.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16248 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My girlfriend was asking about "Magnetized Water". I get a lot of pseudo science questions from her.

No.

Yes placebos work, magnets don't.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13385 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The magnets only work if you use them with copper socks or bracelets. Wink

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Use the magnetized copper.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Other than believing they will work, I can't see any benefits. For someone suffering from chronic pain, say, from arthritis, this is not to be completely discounted. The human mind has a way of making things happen when it really wants to. But even this benefit is lost on animals, which don't think this way.

Posts: 27777 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Good for your health - if they're heavy enough they make great free weights....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
If you have one in your brain it will help you navigate when you fly south in the winter and back home in the spring.

Posts: 18000 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Use the magnetized copper.

Magnetized gold looks prettier Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14018 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
They are an aid to peaceful coexistence. Your sweetie puts important stuff on the fridge for you to note WITH MAGNETS, like a party or gathering four months in the future. Gives you plenty of time to psyche yourself up for the event.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clayflingythingy:
There are no health benefits to magnets. None. Zero. Zilch. It is quackery.

Not true... saved Tony Stark's life. Had some pretty cool benefits too

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37895 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
Essential oils, homeopathy, astrology, chiropractors, and magnets.

I think the healing salt cave in the local office park closed recently, so there's hope for humanity.

Posts: 1454 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
An article on the world's most powerful magnet. The article finishes with a statement that researchers have not found a benefit to wearable magnets.

https://www.popularmechanics.c...cience/a226/1280796/

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
MRI's are pretty good. Wink

Posts: 21031 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
A sockful of nickel-cobalt magnets can be an attractive alternative to a sockful of marbles in a free-for-all - mainly due to the many sharp corners, but apart from that, my belief in magnetic healing is non-existent.

Posts: 11302 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Voodoo.

Posts: 9434 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post