SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kendo? - New update Pg 4
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kendo? - New update Pg 4 Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Advice request from other Kenshi
An interesting dichotomy has developed in Kendo for me as I've progressed. Certain Sensei's have focused on my Ki-ai. They seem to what this to be a primal yell that drives the spirit and energy. Other Sensei are always telling me "relax, relax, too tense, relax". There is definitely a piece that I'm missing here. In one way I sort of understand, but in others it makes no sense. Any thoughts to share?

The only thing I can think of is the tensing only occurs at the moment of impact. It's called kime (focus) in karate, don't know if they use that term in kendō. At the point of kime is when you kiai. Up to then, the sword is indeed held almost delicately, and your overall kamae (posture) is very relaxed.

Btw, this will not be your last dichotomy if you continue studying martial arts.Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16349 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:
Advice request from other Kenshi
An interesting dichotomy has developed in Kendo for me as I've progressed. Certain Sensei's have focused on my Ki-ai. They seem to what this to be a primal yell that drives the spirit and energy. Other Sensei are always telling me "relax, relax, too tense, relax". There is definitely a piece that I'm missing here. In one way I sort of understand, but in others it makes no sense. Any thoughts to share?

The only thing I can think of is the tensing only occurs at the moment of impact. It's called kime (focus) in karate, don't know if they use that term in kendō. At the point of kime is when you kiai. Up to then, the sword is indeed held almost delicately, and your overall kamae (posture) is very relaxed.

Btw, this will not be your last dichotomy if you continue studying martial arts.Wink

So that part I more or less understand. It is the Ki-ai after Son kyo while in Chudan no kamae as your ready to start say Kiri keshi.

YAAAAAA!! (tense, fierce, high energy)

relaaaaxxx grasshopper..... (this is the confusing part)

Fumikomi strike MEEEEENN!!!!!!!

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
20th Annual Detroit Kendo Tournament

Players line up by Dojo for Opening Ceremonies

I came here for the pictures but I only see a small square. Am I the only one?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19662 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Do you do the kiai before initiating the cutting counter-attack? I would think you'd do it at the exact moment of contact, well after initiation.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16349 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
20th Annual Detroit Kendo Tournament

Players line up by Dojo for Opening Ceremonies

I came here for the pictures but I only see a small square. Am I the only one?

The links have been severed for some reason

343 - Never Forget

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I think I understand your question now. You mean the initial kiai just as you assume standing kamae and "greet" your opponent. Should you be tense or relaxed here?

I think I don't know. That might be an actual kendō question, so you'll have to ask one of your sensei/sempai. If it was karate-dō, I would say both, meaning I would assume a state of "relaxed tension".

Like so much in the Asian martial arts, the correct way often involves resolving opposites. That's why you see the yin-yang symbol so often in the arts.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think I understand your question now. You mean the initial kiai just as you assume standing kamae and "greet" your opponent. Should you be tense or relaxed here?

I think I don't know. That might be an actual kendō question, so you'll have to ask one of your sensei/sempai. If it was karate-dō, I would say both, meaning I would assume a state of "relaxed tension".

Like so much in the Asian martial arts, the correct way often involves resolving opposites. That's why you see the yin-yang symbol so often in the arts.

Sorry, I thought you were a Kenshi as well

343 - Never Forget

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:

I mostly have done karate (to black belt level), but I did some auxilliary training in kenjutsu and iaidō, so I guess I am kenshi. It's fairly common for karate-ka to do this kind of supplemental practice.

As you probably know, kenjutsu is practice of actual combat moves usually with a bokken (wooden sword that approximates the weight and balance of a real sword). The way of handling a bokken is completely different from a bamboo shinai. In fact, many kendō sensei say that kendō is a sport not applicable to real sword combat. I think the mental part is, though, if not so much the physical.

Iaidō is the art of fast-drawing a real steel sword. I have never tried kendō, but probably would love it.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I mostly have done karate (to black belt level), but I did some auxilliary training in kenjutsu and iaidō, so I guess I am kenshi. It's fairly common for karate-ka to do this kind of supplemental practice.

As you probably know, kenjutsu is practice of actual combat moves usually with a bokken (wooden sword that approximates the weight and balance of a real sword). The way of handling a bokken is completely different from a bamboo shinai. In fact, many kendō sensei say that kendō is a sport not applicable to real sword combat. I think the mental part is, though, if not so much the physical.

Iaidō is the art of fast-drawing a real steel sword. I have never tried kendō, but probably would love it.

If anyone attacks me with a bamboo sword... and I happen to have one on me, I'm confident I'm prepared to meet the threat! Big Grin

For Sbrooks and anyone wanting to know more about scoring than what I provided

343 - Never Forget

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Last night was a major step, the first practice with MEN. I had hoped that it would have been a bit sooner but business travel interceded.

As a preface, my physical level has increased quite a bit lately. Hitting the bike hard and other exercise has helped. Warm ups now feel like warm ups and not a physical beating. Movements Fumikomi (lunging stamp) and follow through are swift.

I'd practiced putting the Men on quite often at home so I was comfortable with the donning process.

Then came practice. It was very small last night, maybe 15+ people as opposed to 30+. For some reason walking from my bag to the line, the Himo (strings) got all tangled so it took me longer to put it on than everyone else. The Sr. Sensei never said anything, but his smile was a mix of "bet you thought you were prepared" and "Welcome to the big leagues"

He took half the class to work on Kata, the rest of us worked on normal drill sets. Which was probably a BAD day for first day with Men as you went from instructor to instructor, drill to drill, with little or no break.

Although I'd had it on many times at home, the restriction in peripheral vision was surprising. Not sure why it wasn't as apparent at home. If you wonder, cup your hands seal them to the side of your face, and that is what you get. At home I know what is around me, in a new environment it is totally different.

The big shock was how much it slowed me down. I felt like I was using the same effort, but moving in first gear. I had no problems breathing in it as some report, but man was I sucking wind. Hard enough that occasionally a Sensei would stop before a drill set and give me tips, I think to give me a little break. Much appreciated.

I also learned short Men strike. That was fun. It seemed like the sensei were very accommodating in that "been there, get it" sort of way.

I learned that you really do need a water bottle with a tube. The goalie method of squirting through the cage doesn't work with a Men. It does, but makes a mess. A bit more of a concern on a wood gym floor than a sheet of ice.

I made it almost 40 minutes of continuous drills before I had to stop. Mostly because sweat was pouring into my eyes and I was having trouble seeing. I was also developing sharp pain in my neck, which wasn't a good thing. A little breather, wipe the eyes, more water and good to go.

I was warned before class that one of the 3 Dans LOVES to welcome people wearing Men for the first time with some really solid cuts. He and a 6 Dan Renshi are have really solid cuts and love to give a little extra. Given that I'm over a foot taller than them I felt it would take a bit out of it. It actually surprised me. Its a very loud CLICK you feel it, but pretty evenly distributed. It is no where near taking an 80-90mph slap shot to the dome. More like a weak wrist shot to the side of your lid.

Another Kendo milestone.... passed.

343 - Never Forget

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Seems like we're due for another Kendō update.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I apologize for the lack of an update, been busy with hockey season cranking up.

The journey continues and I am progressing. I will be testing for 1 Kyu at the big February tournament so I am preparing for that. The Sensei seem satisfied with my performance overall, I now need to start learning the first 2 Kata and start sparring.

It has taken me quite a few weeks to get used to having Men on. Practice as you might at home, there is still pressure to get it on quickly and correctly in class and that can lead to mistakes. At least once I've got it on, then had to stop later, remove it and put it back on properly. Figuring out exactly how to get it on comfortably is also a thing that takes time. Every head & Men is different so you to figure out what is best for you. The Men also tends to loosen up over time which also makes fit a bit of a moving target at first. Unlike a goalie lid, this is tied on, so there is no flipping it up to wipe your face or take a hit of water. The sweat pouring down your face just has to flow, the water bottle better have a spout. It definitely slows you down and effects how you swing.

The physicality of Kendo is finally starting to get easier. For most of the last year I was pretty much wrecked after practice and really sore the following two days. We practice on Thurs & Sat and there is no way I could do a Thursday and then a Saturday, so it was either 1 day a week, or I had to skip a Saturday. I/m now at a point where I can do all of the warm up exercises and not be worn out. My recovery time doing the group practice is also improving. That is the one element that has been holding me back from sparring. We had a few people, most 10 years younger than me, who started around the time push it and get into medical issues. That I don't need.

My big breakthrough was being able to do Hayasuburi without it totally wrecking me physically (see videos below). In our dojo we do all warm up exercises (except a few) 30 times. We do Hayasuburi at a pretty good pace, it is also one of the last exercises in the static sequence so you've been active for about 15 minutes before you even get to this one. Once I was able to get past this as a major issue my stamina in the rest of practice followed nicely. If you want a gut check on what kind of shape you're in, watch the video and give this one a try. Don't get it perfect, grab a stick of some sort and do the forward and backward movement timing the down swing and up swing with your hops. The first demo video is pretty close to the pace that we use.

Quick Demo (starts late, it's 30 times)

Instructional

Now that I am in full Bogu (armor) I'm game for being cut in practice. Instructors working practice drills will occasionally use me as the practice target. This is important as you need to learn both aspects. Kata are the same way as you do each with a partner, each one acting a specific role and you need to understand and perfect both. The videos below show the most basic Kendo drill called Kirikaeshi. It is a strong cut with the lunge stamp (fumikomi) foot work, 4 cuts to the Men alternating sides with sliding foot work forward, 5 cuts to the Men alternating sides with sliding foot work backwards, repeat, final strong cut with the lunge stamp (fumikomi) foot work driving through the opponent. There are two videos below, one showing it from the side, and one point of view. You'll see how the one receiving the cuts has a specific way of doing it. Yes, Kendo practices are LOUD! Imagine 5-6 students all doing that at the same time.

In the next week or so I'll start with sparring and will have another update.

343 - Never Forget

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will be testing for 1 Kyu at the big February tournament so I am preparing for that.

First kyū already? That's one level below Black Belt.

I think Hayasuburi would kill me, but damn that looks like fun. Thanks for the update.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I have been practicing Kendo now for a bit over a year. Typically people under 18 will move through the Kyu ranks 6-1, then test for 1 Dan. Adults typically, with Sensei permission, will only test for 1 Kyu.

343 - Never Forget

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Wow, it's been that long already. Well, as we all know, the real journey begins at shodan. Congratulations on your progress and achievements.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Well hey, Rightwire-san, how'd your Kyū test go?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."