SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kendo? - New update Pg 4
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kendo? - New update Pg 4 Login/Join 
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
...ditto!

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Update

As noted on Page 1 my initial experience wasn't that great. In fact I ended up with my legs in compression wraps and packed in ice for 3 days just so I could bear weight without collapsing. This was partially my fault as, I attended a class that really didn't have instruction for beginners, I used full power and intensity with every movement, and because I didn't anticipate being thrown into the class minute one, I didn't warm up stretch or prepare. As a result I took 4 weeks off to recover and to get my out of shape butt back on the bike and get a lot of training rides in before venturing back

FLASH FORWARD 4 Weeks

Practice #2
Much better as I went to a practice that specifically had beginner instruction. The warm up actually had an instructor facing us showing what to do during static drills and moving drills had some explanation in English. Once the formal class was started the beginners were pulled aside for group instruction on proper movement and cutting.

My Kiai tends to be very loud and powerful combining a commanding voice and previous martial arts experience. So much so that I was scaring some of the kids in the group with me. They were told to 'do it like him' but seemed terrified.

I had to bow out of near the end as I developed a skin tear on my toe that started to bleed. The Dojo had it's own first aid kit and a lady who quickly and efficiently tended to the issue. I asked if this happened often and she explained that this and other foot injuries are quite common even with experienced Kendoka. A little soreness and the toe healed quick.

Practice #3
This time I arrived earlier and had time to warm up and stretch before the class. Based on the following day this will be part of every practice. This time the warm up was easier on me and I felt a bit more confident. I also slowed down after a comment made in the last lass and focused on technique not speed.

In the formal class we were given to a Sr. Sensei that did a great job. He inspected our dress to assure it was proper, addressing a few other students that had issues. We then worked in detail on basic cuts, footwork. Making the shinai whistle as you cut was an area of focus for a while. Then putting it together. How to properly cut Men, Kote & Do was taught with constant commentary on technique. At 6'4 I had to be reminded now and again to keep my back straight and good posture when cutting a 5'4" instructor.

I had a lot of fun in this class and learned a lot. I did make a mistake and not keep my feet parallel during a cutting drill resulting in a nice blood blister as a reminder to pay attention to detail.

Three of the little girls were in a group with a different Sensei. I noted at one point they watched me in a cutting drill. The next thing I know this 3', 40lbs 7 year old girl unleashes this Kiai so ferocious it would make most adults wet themselves and a Samurai of old step back. The Sensei was doing everything he could to stifle his surprise and laughter. Parents watching were doing the same. I was impressed.

I did have a few people come up to me after class and ask me how long I'd been doing this. When I told them it was really only my second practice where I learned and third overall they told me I was doing very well for such a short time.

If you've ever thought about this, find a local club and give it a try. BUT! stretch first and be ready for a few days of discomfort after your first time. Just pace yourself.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I would not have guessed that stretching would be so critical in kendō training.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Interesting. I would not have guessed that stretching would be so critical in kendō training.

The entire class does a series of stretches before 'warm up' begins. However I found this insufficient and added my pre game hockey stretches before getting dressed. It definitely helped.

343 - Never Forget

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Another update from the Sigforum Kendo show.....

I just completed my fifth class. The last three classes have included focused traning for beginners. It really has been a lot of fun, but it is without a doubt, a work out.

The fourth class was a god send. Most of the advanced students were at a big Kendo camp leaving mostly beginners. The Sensi that came made it all focused on basic techniques and showed that even they need a 'reminder to do correct' now and again. The advantage was spending a great deal of time working through each warmup exercise so that everyone understood and was doing them correctly. This paid huge dividends as many of us had no idea how incorrectly we were doing the basics. I was told again that I was progressing quickly. I think part of this is due to being a coach and being able to draw a lot of parallels and stark differences between Kendo movement and goaltending.

The last class also had us paired with a Sensi. In this class we worked on Seiza (kneeling) , Rei (proper bowing for respect) and recovery from Seiza. I had no idea that again I had subtle imperfections in my technique. We spent time on proper grip and swing of the shinai as well as proper ready posture. We finished with working on proper DO strikes, difficult as the shinai swings straight up and down, with a slight rotation at the end. Prior to this my Do strikes felt like an unfolding lawn chair with poor accuracy, after they smoothed out and I could hit the same spot on the DO every time. The Sensi (different from the last several times) commented again that I am "very advance beginner". I'm not sure, perhaps because I can adapt and adjust quickly although things do feel more natural now but I still catch myself in mistakes now and again. I will say that the more I attend, the more open and friendly people become.

The Sensi told me that I'd probably be ready for Bogu after 10 practices, so I'm 1/2 way there. I'll probably consider ordering soon so I have it when I'm ready. He did caution me to wait a while before donning Men. Adding the Do, Tare, & Kote will help me get used to it and give me some time to adjust and build stamina. He said many have trouble with the weight, but in looking at it I can't see it being heavier than a chest/arm catcher blocker, pants and goalie mask. I guess we'll see......

Tune in next time... same Kendo time, same Kendo channel

343 - Never Forget

Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you are enjoying the class. A few of us older black belts in Judo have talked several times about joining a school but the closest "real school" is just too far -NYC to be practical to attend.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Lot of martial arts action on SF lately. I'm about 5 classes into Filipino Kali. They say I'm looking OK on the floor, and can tell I have karate and kenjutsu/iaido experience. Also doing Jeet Kune Do, as the Kali class runs right into JKD and it's included in the introductory price anyway.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Kendo Update: 14 practices in the books

An update for those who expressed interest in the original thread.

After discovering that the club offered beginner instruction on Saturdays and the Thursday classes that I had been attending were more for the advanced students I switched days. Significant improvement in both instruction an thus enjoyment.

After consulting the Sensi I was advised that around 10 practices was probably a good time to consider ordering Bogu. Given that there were some good sales I did. I have held off wearing Do & Tare as I needed to focus on technique more, but next weekend we're going to strap it on.

Practices through last weekend were still pretty rough. Warm ups were more of a flat out butt kicking PT session than a warm up. The last practice the rest of the club was at a major tournament so the #2 instructor had the class for the day. He decided that we needed work on cutting technique and that is all we did for the full class. Multiple drills, some with both hands, some with one hand, some full swings some Tenouchi. Each drill repeated 2-3 times, 50 reps each. I'll guess that conservatively we executed over 1,000 cuts. I admit I struggled, the longer it went the more taxed I became. An instructor pulled me a side in a short break and kept telling me to relax, too tense, too hard. In another break a Sr. student gave some tips on holding the Shinai and how to be relaxed in the swing. By that point I was too far gone to apply it. I practiced at home and not only did that click, but also the elusive Tenouchi technique clicked.

Yesterday's practice was COMPLETELY different. Warm ups weren't a PT butt kicking. It was strenuous but I wasn't wringing wet and sucking wind. The rest of the drills were also much easier. I feel like I've crossed a bridge. Many things that I thought I understood, now make much more sense both physically and philosophically. I anticipate that this will be an ongoing process, bridges cross, new windows of understanding open.

Yesterday several of the more advanced students approached me and told me that I either look very good for a student as new as I am, or that my technique is very advanced for someone with as little time in the sport as I have at this point. There is still much to work on, relaxing, timing, tenouchi, all of the tiny details.

Leaving Kendo this week was the first time I wasn't exhausted, sore and knew Sunday was going to suck. I'm fine today with just slight soreness in a few spots and am looking forward to the next practice. I can see 2x a week in my near future. Kendo is no longer a butt kicking workout to keep me in shape, but a fun but strenuous martial art that I enjoy

Stay tuned for future updates...

343 - Never Forget

Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the update. You have me considering to start training in Kendo. Local club trains Sunday 3-5pm & Tuesday 7-9pm, a schedule that I can make one class a week.

Update: I just checked the next session starts November 12th! Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jsbcody,

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Iaido here.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Saturday I completed my second practice in Bogu. For those not familiar Bogu (pronounced Bog) is the armor and protective equipment worn in Kendo. Kendo is a full contact martial art and thus protection is required.

My Dojo recommends a phased approach to full Bogu. Start the first 4-5 practices with shorts & a t-shirt. The next 10 or so with the basic uniform, then Tare (protective skirt) & Do (chest protector) for several practices as it will impact your technique. Adding these two pieces is encouraged fairly soon as the Zekken (name plate) lets your fellow students and Sensi know who you are.

You then add the Kote (gloves) and will learn to add more advanced techniques. Finally you add the Men (protective mask). It is recommended that you wait quite a while before adding Men as it is important that you have the fundamentals down as adding this will influence your swing and tenouchi.

My Bogu is shown below.

If I've learned one major thing in Kendo, it is a single word. "Relax". I am reminded of this quite often. This is difficult there are so many things to pay attention to, it is easy to tense up. Oddly enough the more you relax, the better your Kendo gets. With that in mind, I've found that I can tell when my swing and tenouchi is correct with proper posture and foot work it just feels right, like that elusive perfect golf swing.

There is a saying in Kendo. Ki Ken Tai no Ichi which translated means Spirit Sword Body as one. When relaxed and focused and the footwork, posture, tenouchi and cut are in sync I can feel it. Perhaps there is hope for me yet Smile it is now chasing that elusive consistency....

343 - Never Forget

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Interesting! I'm having the same experience in my new Kali class. I'm doing the moves correctly, but as everything is still new, and different from the karate I'm used to, I'm still too stiff. And it's not a muscle thing either, as I'm pretty flexible really (at 59 I can do the splits better than ever).

So it really is a mind thing. Come to think of it, they said the same things in karate (before I limbered up). It's not my body that is too stiff; it's my mind. Just relax.

Keep those reports coming, テリーsan.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
An update. Training continues now with Do, Tare, Kote but no Men yet. Improvement every week, consistency is a constant struggle.

The big Detroit Kendo tournament is this weekend. I'm not participating but am working as a volunteer. It should be interesting with almost 300 Kenshi registered from all over the US. Texas, Missouri, Kansas, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Ohio Pennsylvania, New York, Florida, etc.

The image below is of our Dojo Master Sensei. Tagawa Sensei is the only Hanshi 8th Dan outside of Japan.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rightwire,

343 - Never Forget

Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
Ah, poo, I can't see your pics, but this sound awesome.

Great job finding something you love to do.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Training continues now with Do, Tare, Kote but no Men yet.

They probably want to establish good control before allowing head strikes, even with the facemask. I have a friend who took a hard men strike like his third day, and his jaw locked in the open position for a while. He never went back to kendo.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... progress!

There's more to learn once you are fully armored.
Ask sensei about zanshin ... and the remaining spirit.

I continue to practice here in Melbourne; returning to Seattle in March ...

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:

Tare is a target? I thought that's off limits.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:

"No Men"?

Any one who straps on the armor needed to practice Kendo are MEN, irrespective of sex.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31377 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:

Tare is a target? I thought that's off limits.

He's listed the armor components, not what one strikes at.

Kerry Packer

Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:

"No Men"?

Any one who straps on the armor needed to practice Kendo are MEN, irrespective of sex.

Ha!

You have to visibly feel 50+ women training on a beach, with naginata; all screaming in unison "MEN" while striking at imaginary heads. Men is the theadgear worn in Kendo/Naginata. And yelled when striking the head armor.

And a naginata is a blade attached to a long wooden handle. And means "mowing down sword" or perhaps better, "reaping sword".

Apologies for the lesson, grasshopper.

Kerry Packer