SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Free XM service
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Free XM service Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted
If you've got an inactive SiriusXM receiver turn it on, their basic 100 channel package is free through September 5th.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been listening all of August, I was wondering when it was going to stop working!

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
I just threatened to cancel their service again and the current offer is 5 months for 24.99 plus taxes. Just keep saying no to their offers. I battle them every renewal for the last 9 years.. it's a PITA but saves me hundreds over the years for a phone call every 5-6 months.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2673 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I cancelled four receivers at once 5 months ago. As anybody who has experienced this can attest, it wasn't easy. They managed to leave one active somehow, in a car I only occasionally drive and am always surprised when I get in and it still works!

I feel terribly guilty using their service without paying, given how easy they made the process to cancel and what a stellar reputation they have for reasonable rates and excellent attention to customer wants and needs...... Wink

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig 226:
I just threatened to cancel their service again and the current offer is 5 months for 24.99 plus taxes. Just keep saying no to their offers. I battle them every renewal for the last 9 years.. it's a PITA but saves me hundreds over the years for a phone call every 5-6 months.

I play this game every year as well. I've learned that instead of waiting for the cancellation and having them start harassing me (all the while, missing my XM125 Patriot programming), I just call when I get the renewal notice and tell them I'm not going to renew b/c there are too many commercials and I only listen to a few stations anyway.

At that point, "Joe" or "Mary" (didn't realize those were traditional Indian names) will put me on hold to see "what discounts may be available" and then, only because I'm a valued long-term subscriber, do I get between 50-60% off, plus a bonus month or two usually.

I think I've averaged about $5.50/mo. for the XM All Access package over the last decade or so.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:

I play this game every year as well. I've learned that instead of waiting for the cancellation and having them start harassing me (all the while, missing my XM125 Patriot programming), I just call when I get the renewal notice and tell them I'm not going to renew b/c there are too many commercials and I only listen to a few stations anyway.

At that point, "Joe" or "Mary" (didn't realize those were traditional Indian names) will put me on hold to see "what discounts may be available" and then, only because I'm a valued long-term subscriber, do I get between 50-60% off, plus a bonus month or two usually.

I think I've averaged about $5.50/mo. for the XM All Access package over the last decade or so.

-Rob

I put a Reminder in my Calendar on my phone to cancel a day before it renews. otherwise it charges my card for the 15.99 a month Then I get 5 months more for 24.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I tried going back but their streaming quality is abysmal, I'm happy with Spotify now.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I play the cancellation game evey year as well. They are a pain in the ass to deal with and I still have a hard time with their inability to put a sirius and an XM radio on the same bill. The two merged how many years ago?

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I play the cancellation game too. I usually get a year of service for $9/month. Last time they put someone else's receiver on my bill. When I raised hell and got them to give me "sorry" credit plus remove the receiver the removed the wrong one. When I called to have them correct their records they first said there's a fee for changing service to a new receiver. *BOOM* flipped my freakin wig. Escalated til I got someone that spoke clear English. Got a few more months of "sorry don't leave us" credit. It can be a hassle but my local stations are so awful it's worth it.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I just went through the cancellation dance again as well, except this time I really did cancel. Even at the discounted rate you get when you threaten to cancel, I decided I did not listen often enough to justify renewing.

What surprised me was about a week later they called me to try to get me to change my mind. But they called my office. I had never given them that number, but had called from my office when I cancelled.

Those sneaky bastards logged my number and are now using it to spam me.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The free service period got me, so it does get some folks to sign back up - I had a free year which ended first of summer and they had no all access deals and not willing to give me one - noticed a week ago it was back on and realized how much I had missed it - did a chat with them and for $50 for 6 months all access which is streaming and one radio

I have amazon paid annually and used to have spotify but the Sinatra channel and a few of the decade channels are pretty great on XM - and creating playlists mean you forget some songs - plenty of times I would listen to XM and be like wow I hadn't heard that in forever (and then add to my playlist in amazon for bike rides, workouts etc)

Posts: 513 | Location: SEMO | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I played the discount game for years, but finally quit listening to it at all. Even for $5 a month, it wasn't worth it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
I got tired of their games, cancelled 2 years ago and haven't missed it. I plug in my phone and either stream music or use my own playlist.

Last time I tried to cancel it was endless BS. I called back 2 days later and told them I sold my truck, it took 5 minutes Big Grin It is not worth the hassle anymore.

Posts: 729 | Location: Middle (of nowhere) Georgia  | Registered: December 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:

Reading this thread w/ my coffee this AM reminded me my renewal was coming up and that their service is WAY too expensive, so I decided to make the call. I just got off the phone w/ someone at SiriusXM that was, as others have indicated, DEFINITELY not located on this continent! I told them I wanted to cancel because I could not justify the cost, and then they started going through their script. I was REALLY intending to cancel, but at what I believe was the 3rd offer she was talking $5/mo, which sounded really familiar. I put her on hold and searched for this thread to verify if she was giving me the quoted 'SIGforum' rate. Cool

And, sure enough, it was....Sooo, it looks like I'm gonna have SiriusXM for the next five months! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8886 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I had three months free when I bought my Trailblazer. Never activated it. Knew I wouldn't want to pay for it, so it was a case of not having a chance to learn what I would be missing Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too just played the renewal/cancel game with them. It really bothers me that I have to do this every year as I know that the outcome will be a reasonable rate rather than the ridiculous rate they sent me. I guess enough people just pay the "full" rate for them to be continuing with this charade.

"Momma say's the pistol is the Devil's right hand."

Posts: 694 | Location: Ontario | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Made the mistake of calling to ask why my free till 9-5 stopped working on the way to the store this morning.
According to "Maria" in Mumbai the issue is one of two things:
-I didn't start my listening experience by tuning to channel 6 first. Makes no difference that it was working the last day and a half without doing so.
-the Bluetooth of my phone is disrupting the signal. Gee, how many of their customers have Bluetooth phones? Including myself who had no issues during the initial trial period.
Good Lord they are a treat to talk to.

Maria, could it be possible it just needs to be activated? No, not possible. BTW, the wife's car which also has it is not getting it.
Some free freaking event.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:

Reading this thread w/ my coffee this AM reminded me my renewal was coming up and that their service is WAY too expensive, so I decided to make the call. I just got off the phone w/ someone at SiriusXM that was, as others have indicated, DEFINITELY not located on this continent! I told them I wanted to cancel because I could not justify the cost, and then they started going through their script. I was REALLY intending to cancel, but at what I believe was the 3rd offer she was talking $5/mo, which sounded really familiar. I put her on hold and searched for this thread to verify if she was giving me the quoted 'SIGforum' rate. Cool

And, sure enough, it was....Sooo, it looks like I'm gonna have SiriusXM for the next five months! Wink

Welcome to the re-occurring cancelation game.. Smile

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2673 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
I cancelled four receivers at once 5 months ago. As anybody who has experienced this can attest, it wasn't easy. They managed to leave one active somehow, in a car I only occasionally drive and am always surprised when I get in and it still works!

I feel terribly guilty using their service without paying, given how easy they made the process to cancel and what a stellar reputation they have for reasonable rates and excellent attention to customer wants and needs...... Wink

I heard several years back that if you unplugged your tv sat receiver before you cancel service, the receiver will never get the cancellation signal and it stays on. Not sure if it still works that way. You also have to leave it off for 30 days.

Posts: 7398 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I fired them years ago. No really.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post