SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    watermelons and the great state of Georgia
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

watermelons and the great state of Georgia Login/Join 
posted
Whom ever is in charge of growing watermelons ,
keep up the great work.
We have purchased three of them in the last 15 days and all were much better than above average.

A job well done to those choosing to grow a fine product.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I had a watermelon this season that literally burst open with juice as soon as I nicked the rind with a knife. That was pretty cool.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
And watermelons, like tomatoes, are a good source of lycopene. An antioxidant that’s thought to help prevent several cancers, notably prostrate cancer. Doesn’t hurt that they they taste good too! I like salt on mine.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
They come from South Georgia where the soil is sweet
My grandmother grew them and there were none better

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Yup.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Um..... standard red or the Yellow. I prefer the yellow ones around here. The ones in Indiana haven't ripened yet, but I'm waiting.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
Um..... standard red or the Yellow. I prefer the yellow ones around here. The ones in Indiana haven't ripened yet, but I'm waiting.

And they won't for a while. Should be starting about now, but I have 100s of acres around my house that are at least 2 weeks away.
My grandparents didn't get 1 field planted until ~June 15th, normally you're done before memorial day. Really weird year.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
It's been interesting this year. We have had GOOD watermelons. I told my wife to quit buying them as they were lousy. This year they are bigger and actually sweet. But we still won't buy the basketball ones. They're a joke. Produce is a real guessing game. It looks great but no flavor or sometimes no taste at all. Apples in particular. We have pretty much quit buying them. We throw a lot of produce away.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Enjoy that southern sweetness. Can't get a really good watermelon here in Utah to save our lives.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
Can't get a really good watermelon here in Utah to save our lives.

Of course that's bullshit. The best one I ever tasted was from Green River. Yes, the one in Utah. We were on a group jeep ride and passed through Green River/ used that exit. One in our group got on the radio and said he needed to stop for some ice. But he came out of the fruit stand carrying 2 watermelons and the employee followed with a couple of bags of ice. Not your apartment dweller size 8# bags, but nearly dragging a couple of 50#ers. He had 2 big coolers and put the melons in them, then dumped ice on top until the lids wouldn't close.

So off we went to maybe see the pictographs of the black dragon, the desert bighorn and whatever. Late afternoon we stopped under the I-70 bridge that was far above us. Out came the coolers and true to form, the guy didn't have a knife other than a pocket knife. So I rustled around in my jeep and came up with a 7" #1 Randall. It worked just fine. He did a masterful job of slicing them and handing out pieces to everyone. It may have been the ice cold temp, but it was also great.

The Indiana yellow ones are good, but all yellow isn't necessarily.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I made the best agua fresca with watermelon. Take half of the guts of a big one, blend and strain, mix with lime juice, salt, and agave nectar. Serve with crushed mint leaves.

Yum.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17245 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
Strong year for watermelons for sure. The last one my wife bought was outstanding.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
picked up two more yesterday,
costco had 8 pallets of them .

some were from mexico , some from, USA others from

other places, I stayed with the Georgia melons

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cas Walker used to advertise his watermelons as Thumpin Good. Here is a clip from his TV ad. He was a politician and store owner. Also had his own TV show. Dolly Parton was on it once. He tells it like he sees it:

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBAR15:
Strong year for watermelons for sure. The last one my wife bought was outstanding.

Maybe due to the fact that it's rained almost all of 2019 until recently?

Posts: 33606 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I had some watermelon yesterday for yje first time in ages. And just like every other piece of fruit I've eaten in the last 25+ years, it wasn't anywhere near ripe. Frown

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I have a home grown from Halifax Co in the fridge, and a Turbeville Cantalope that I will cut up tonight,

btw,

Watermelons in Easter Hay by Zappa is fantastic

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ask me about a bucket full of cut watermelon and physics

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
<snip>
btw,

Watermelons in Easter Hay by Zappa is fantastic

I must be slow today – not groking that at all.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
The watermelons might be good, but the word I love when it comes to Georgia produce is...Vidalia.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post