SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    (UPDATE - Increased to +60 cents a gallon) Gas Prices Just Went up 30+ cents a gallon
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

(UPDATE - Increased to +60 cents a gallon) Gas Prices Just Went up 30+ cents a gallon Login/Join 
Picture of Censored
posted
The pipeline that feeds oil to KY is not even affected by the east coast storm, BUT our gas prices just went up by over 30 cents a gallon (price of oil a barrel is down $1.60).

Dang should have filled up last night.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Censored,

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Panic buying causing an artificial decline in supplies.

Posts: 12580 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
We told all y'all to fill up early.... Big Grin

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:

Or just because they can is the real reason.

What pisses me off the most is how they use this to get to the "new normal" price.

Here in PA it's around $3.00 a gallon (yes, we have been getting screwed for a while now)

Last August/September just before Hurricane Irma (I think?) hit, we were paying around $2.25, then it got jacked up to around $2.85 overnight. Then they SLOWWWWWWWLY lower the price down to the "new" normal, which ended up being around $2.65 and it never went down again from there, only up.

So, it's probably going to go to $3.75 very soon, but the new normal price it will decline to will be around $3.50 Confused

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that's it, that's how they get ya. OR, supply and demand are actual laws, and the government, thru taxes and regulation, impeded the market. Believe whichever you choose.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Censored:
The pipeline that feeds oil to KY is not even affected by the east coast storm, BUT our gas prices just went up by over 30 cents a gallon (price of oil a barrel is down $1.60).

Dang should have filled up last night.

quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Yeah, that's it, that's how they get ya. OR, supply and demand are actual laws, and the government, thru taxes and regulation, impeded the market. Believe whichever you choose.

And maybe our current Attorney General and wannabe-Governor Andy Beshear will threaten to launch an investigation into the petroleum companies alleged price gouging if they don’t contribute to his political campaign. Mad

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Houston - 93 octane

Filled up Tuesday morning: 3.059/gal
Filed up this morning: 3.169/gal

Same station & is usually a few cents cheaper than the majority around my house.

I think 87 octane went from about 2.369/gal to 2.439/gal.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

What pisses me off the most is how they use this to get to the "new normal" price.

Here in PA it's around $3.00 a gallon (yes, we have been getting screwed for a while now)

Last August/September just before Hurricane Irma (I think?) hit, we were paying around $2.25, then it got jacked up to around $2.85 overnight. Then they SLOWWWWWWWLY lower the price down to the "new" normal, which ended up being around $2.65 and it never went down again from there, only up.

So, it's probably going to go to $3.75 very soon, but the new normal price it will decline to will be around $3.50 Confused

Yup, the cartel planned this months ago.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

Goddamn that Adam Smith.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My local petrol dispenser just dropped gas to
$2.39 a gallon.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
It was $2.60ish in NC and VA. Was $2.90ish in WV. Ohio’s around $2.85ish.
That’s 87 octane.

Of course it’s going up. Tomorrow I’m looking at a car that requires premium.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
This price hike is from the storm in the Gulf last week. Higher prices are in the way from Florence. It will be the only economic thing the dems will be yelling about into this election cycle. I would bet they’re hoping for a huge disaster.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

One of the reasons for 3 dollar a gallon gas in PA is because PA adds almost a dollar tax per gallon. Blame Ex Gov Ridge, Republicans and Democrats before you cast blame on the oil companies.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Is it time for TatorTot's annual Oil & Gas Mythbusters special?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Gas is $2.99 to 3.15/gallon in Midland Tx, in the heart of the Permian Basin oil fields, less than 100 miles from a big refinery. So don’t feel too bad about the “screwing”, PAsig.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Is it time for TatorTot's annual Oil & Gas Mythbusters special?
Big Grin Natural disasters are special editions. My annual edition is every spring during EPA mandated (i.e. penalties for non-compliance) summer gasoline deadlines. Big Grin

The first thing we need to do is step back and look at the big picture of refined product (gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, etc) logistics. The hurricane is hitting in PADD 1C:

As some of you may remember from past postings that PADD 1C has one refinery and it's a little itty bitty one in Newell, West Virginia. This means that every one of these PADD 1C states is an importer of refined products and the logistics are pipelines, barges, tankers, and supertankers.

Here is the US Energy Information Administration's (EIA) real time storm disruption map that I screen captured a few moments ago. Brown lines are the refined product pipelines and white squares are the refineries.

Depending on size, vessels (i.e. barges, tankers, and supertankers) take 8 hours to 2 days to off-load. Nobody in their right mind has been offloading vessels at any of the ports in the hurricane's cone the past few days as they need to be able to safely get in, get offloaded, and get back out.

Flash flood warnings are all over NC, SC, etc. so intrastate pipeline's are shutting in and monitoring until they can confirm system integrity. Therefore, pipeline barrels from the massive Gulf Coast refineries in TX, LA, MS, and AL are only flowing to safe locations and those locations may or may not run out of tankage to flow into.

The OP complained about Kentucky gas prices. If you look at the southeastern portion of PADD 2 you'll see Kentucky has a large refinery and an itty bitty refinery, and your neighbors to the south (aka TN) have a medium sized refinery beyond the left limits of the screen capture in Memphis.

Refined product is fungible (i.e. made to identical spec) and the only difference is the additives added at the loading racks for filling tanker trucks. The loading racks are at a facility called a distribution terminal. Some distribution terminals are at the refinery perimeter, but most are along pipelines or a navigable waterway (e.g. Ohio River). Distribution terminals in KY, TN, GA, AL, etc. that aren't affected by the hurricane now have demands on them from gas stations in hurricane affected areas and the economics of supply and demand create a price increase. This is how a hurricane in NC affects the prices of gasoline in states like KY.

Over the years, draconian regulations and basic economics have combined to shutdown refineries in PADD 1C and NIMBY, BANANA, and draconian regulations have combined to prevent new refineries from being built. The further apart refineries are from customers the greater the logistics disruption from natural disasters and man-made disasters.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Gas is $2.99 to 3.15/gallon in Midland Tx, in the heart of the Permian Basin oil fields, less than 100 miles from a big refinery. So don’t feel too bad about the “screwing”, PAsig.
If you're referring to Big Spring, TX, then you have a weird definition of big refinery as it's 70,000 barrels per day (i.e. small). There is an oil boom going on in West Texas and diesel demands are through the roof in West Texas.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gasoline is a commodity traded on NYMEX. If you truly believe what you're typing then take a long call position on a few hundred barrels (42 gallons per barrel) and sell it when it hits $2.984/gallon ($3.75 - federal tax - PA Tax). It's selling at $1.9943 right now.

posted Hide Post
Stop confusing me with facts! My mind is made up. Big Grin

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Fracking oil barons!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post