SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why Universities Do More HARM than Good NOW - Jordan Peterson
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why Universities Do More HARM than Good NOW - Jordan Peterson Login/Join 
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted
I really like this guy. He's right up there with Thomas Sowell, Charles Murray, Milton Friedman, and a precious few others.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/LCq69LzASzI

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Canadian Professor of Clinical Psychology. Still sees patients. A nice alternative to that idiot, Dr. Phil. The tide will turn eventually against the current state of University Education.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He's very well spoken, and well credentialed.

I agree with the point that college has taken a far turn from benefit to liability today, but not at all for the reasons he suggests: his reasoning is only to lay the groundwork for a different argument regarding individuality. The reason college has taken the turn is cost; in many cases the costs outweigh the benefits, or at least it's become a self-serving machine in which students pay through the nose to meet a minimum standard (degree) and then get dumped to the wild winds to start an unsupported career with massive debt. It's also left a gaping hole in skilled tradework, as the degree has been pressed for so long.

I just completed a degree; over 30 years in the process. I'm entirely unimpressed.

Peterson's premise about free speech is flawed and I disagree, particularly regarding academia. He's correct with respect to a religious foundation, but save for religious universities, a school shouldn't push that anyway.

There is an overwhelming effort today to suppress those who do not agree socially, politically, and with respect to religion or almost any other facet of a conversation or topic. If one doesn't agree, he's forced out, told to shut up, and approached with anger and vitriol. It's almost the normal today, and it has nothing to do with college: it's found at every level of the spectrum from the playground to the presidency. It doesn't matter where one turns, it's march lock-step, or hit the highway. This isn't sustainable.

Discussion and dialogue needs to be encouraged, otherwise it's simply a fight. I'd love to blame it on the millennials, but it's far more deep-seated and far more prevalent among those of us who are older. Toleration, cooperation, civility, and reason are gone. They may not return.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
I just retired from college teaching and, sadly, I agree completely with Peterson's judgment that-- STEM aside-- we'd be better off without the universities. I think he's right as well that the reason he is so despised by the "collectivist post-modernists" is because he has their number.

Individual freedom, individual rights, have been at the foundation of Western civilization, and the relentless effort of the collectivist Left has been to replace the individual with the group. Group identities, and identity politics. When you think this way, and everything is about groups and power, this group against that, then you can have a Mao, a Stalin, a Hitler.

When I saw photos of the "protests" against Gibson's Bakery in Oberlin, what I thought of was The Red Guard. That is what the campus radicals most remind me of, The Red Guard. Enforcers of Political Correctness, the way the Red Guard enforced Maoist ideology. With the emphasis on public shame and humiliation.

Not every school is an Oberlin, or a Berkeley, or a Duke, but with only a handful of exceptions, every institution of higher learning in America is, to one degree or another-- and especially in the Humanities-- a propaganda mill for Leftist indoctrination.

That is what thrills me about the Bakery story. Hardworking, decent Americans stood up and said to the Oberlin College leftist bullies, "Enough of your shit!"

May that spirit spread across the land.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some parents and kids are waking up and realizing that it might actually be better to attend and graduate from a TECH School and find a great paying job and having low to nothing school debt. Whereas going to a college getting a useless degree, getting no job and having a large debt is not good. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3067 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I agree with him with regard to the post-modernist though process eschewing individualism.

However, I still believe that a college education (and I, admittedly, could be wrong in this day an age) is far more than simply sitting in class and passing a test. A college education, when I started, going on 40 years ago now, taught kids not just what they needed to know to succeed in the workforce, but what they needed to know to succeed at life.

It was the next step out of childhood. The first step out on your own as an adult, and you either succeeded or failed. It taught you how to pay rent, to pay utilities, to decide whether to pay the above or eat well. It taught you how to arrive at class and/or work on time or suffer the consequences. It taught you how to work damn hard to achieve a goal and to be proud of that accomplishment. It taught you how to be, and think as, an individual. I remember those day fondly...or not so fondly, as one can only eat so many pot pies without going crazy. Big Grin

Is that still the case, or have they all fallen into this leftist abyss? I honestly don't know. Do colleges (perhaps not universities) still teach these things to kids who are motivated to mature? Of course, it's not entirely their job to do so, rather...it is the parents' job to do this from the get go, but still....

It saddens me to see how much the left is robbing from our youngsters.

BTW, Dennis Prager rocks. I wish he got more air time.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post