SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Considering a used Kia Optima--Any known issues?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Considering a used Kia Optima--Any known issues? Login/Join 
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted
Since I retired August 1 and lost my take home car, I have been considering the purchase of a used car. I located a private party sale for a 2015 Kia Optima EX nearby that looks promising. It has the EX Premium Package, 39000 miles on the odometer, and new tires. Asking price is $15,700, which is $2k less than average private party sale value per KBB. Checking sites like Carvana and CarFax Sales shows that the price may be a little high but not by much.

Anyone have any experience with this make and model? Are there any known issues to watch out for? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I know a few people that have them. They swear by them. Seem to be pretty solid cars. Essentially, they’re just a Hyundai. If you wait until October and want to spend a little more than $15k, you can get some pretty great deals on Hyundai/Kia. Last October I bought a 2018 Hyundai Sonata (sticker $27k) for $19400 including TTL.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it has the 4 cylinder, make sure there is proper documentation on the oil changes.

The warranty may not transfer. Check with your local Kia dealer.

The 4 cylinder Forte we had could not get out of its own way.

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use www.cargurus.com sometimes ... pretty good info, but you will get a LOT of ads from them after visiting their site. But that's what pays the bills I guess.

Posts: 260 | Registered: March 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I’ve been really impressed with Kia/Hyundai over the last 20 years. My MIL is very hard on vehicles and couldn’t kill a 2001 Sephia (model before the Spectra). The 2003 Spectra we bought new for my wife was great until she destroyed the transmission. Our 2008 Sportage developed an electrical issue around the 150k mile mark but it only affected the rear wiper. I don’t know any specific issues with the Optima but I’m sold on the brand overall.

ETA: The 10/100 warranty won’t transfer but it’ll still have 5/60 coverage.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur

ETA: The 10/100 warranty won’t transfer but it’ll still have 5/60 coverage.

That's good info to have, especially since the seller is using the warranty as a selling point and a reason to justify the price.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
If you have a Kia dealer local to you, go tell them what you found and see what they’ll do. Their certified used carry the 10/100.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Girl in my office has a '13 SX that's been dead-on reliable. Only issue she's had in the last 5 years was a bad neutral safety switch which rendered the car unstartable.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I'd opt for a new one with the full warranty or a certified used one, like was said the 10/100 isn't transferable.

Kia had issues with the 4 cyl and oil sludge build up, generally as was said due to poor maintenance schedules.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I've been happy and impressed with our '11' Sorento SX. Other than normal maintenance it hasn't been to the dealer for anything else. I can't comment on the Optima, just the brand. If it meets your needs I wouldn't hesitate in buying it.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
My son has one and it has been a solid car for him. He is also 6'4" and can fit in it. I have a Kia Sedona Minivan and am very impressed by it. I've got about 50,000 miles on it and just had to put on a new set of tires, but everything else has been solid so far (knock wood).

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ex GF had one with over 215,000 miles on it. Each year she would have ALL fluids replaced at KIA dealership - brake fluid, motor/transaxle oils, coolant, etc...

It finally died in a rear end crash.

She bought another KIA.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
We had a 2013 Kia Optima. Drove it for about four years with 80000 miles when we traded her in. That was one of the better cars I have ever owned.

My problem with it was it was so damn low that it was difficult to get in and out of. For me at least. I ain't big either at 5-10 and about 155 lbs.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Girl in my office has a '13 SX that's been dead-on reliable. Only issue she's had in the last 5 years was a bad neutral safety switch which rendered the car unstartable.

Then how is that dead on reliable?

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To me, that price sounds high. ,especially for the year. I will say our Kia Sedona has held up really well despite my wife's best effort to destroy it.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post