SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone else shooting old fashioned, 35mm film ?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else shooting old fashioned, 35mm film ? Login/Join 
The Constable
posted
I still have my old Nikon F from the mid 1970's. I occasionally break it out, reinstall the photimic battery and shoot a roll or two of film. I so enjoy the substantial feel of it, the mechanical sounds it makes and the memories it brings back.

Back in the day I lusted after the large format Hasselblads. NOW one can buy a serviceable one for pennies on the dollar compared to the old days , back when film was still relevant.

Any one else still a fan of the old film cameras?

FN in MT

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
How hard is developing these days. I'm guessing a one hour photo is long gone.

I still have a mint Nikon Nikonos V setup. But as far as UW photography is concerned, digital took over long ago.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I still have my Nikomat EL rig. Sits in the closet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I was into film photography big time in the past - I even had my own darkroom. I still like film and have my 35mm cameras, but with the quality of digital what is is now, I can't see spending the money on file and developing.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I still have a 110mm camera that hasn't taken a pic in 18 years Smile

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10900 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still have most of my old films cameras (3 Nikons and 2 Leicas) but I haven't used any of them in many years. I don't even use my newer digital camera much thanks to the iPhone. As good as it is, the reality for me is that its convenience has trumped quality.

Posts: 2478 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've recently started, had a Fuji GSW690 medium format briefly and now have a couple of Beseler Topcon D-1's that I picked up for next to nothing. Originally I was just looking at the old cameras for the lenses to adapt to my new digital bodies but after actually getting to use film for the first time really enjoy it so I keep an eye on Craigslist and facebook market place for them.

There is a bit of a resurgence if you call it that and quite a few places to send your film into. There are still a few local places that develop but Walmart for instance sends it out to be developed.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Yeah , the lure of digital is tough to resist.

I just replaced an ailing Nikon D-200 with a $450 Nikon D3400. This model is FAR from their top of the line commercial digitals. Yet the results are amazing.

It's just phenomenal where we are today compared to even 30 years ago much less back when I first got into film. I had my own B&W darkroom as a kid, bought bulk 100 ft rolls of Tri-X , loaded them onto old cassettes, etc. Was really into it.

Bigwagon...LEICA's ?? And they see no use! THAT is a shame.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:

Bigwagon...LEICA's ?? And they see no use! THAT is a shame.

I know. I should sell them so I can buy more guns, but I just keep buying the guns anyway. Big Grin

Posts: 2478 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've shoot only two or three rolls of film in the past year (been busy, used digital very little also...) but Wednesday night I came home with a "new to me" Nikon F3. Had only wanted one since 1981. Smile

Posts: 3212 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
I've shoot only two or three rolls of film in the past year (been busy, used digital very little also...) but Wednesday night I came home with a "new to me" Nikon F3. Had only wanted one since 1981. Smile

Great old camera. Wanted one many years back...couldn't rationalize the price.

Some good info on your new camera: https://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/f3.htm

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I loved my film cameras. Rolleicords, Nikkormats, Pentaxes, and some old cheapies. They sit unused in my cabinet for the most part. I shot some film a year or so back, but couldn’t find anyplace to have it developed.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
..."new to me" Nikon F3. Had only wanted one since 1981. Smile

I bought one (new) in 1983, along with an assortment of lenses, a motor drive, strobe, etc. A year or so later I found a like-new Nikkormat, black body, which I bought with the proceeds of a photo spread of mine that appeared in Competition Press - Auto Week.

Both were worth every penny.

So, where are you seeing Hasselblads for pennies on the dollar, FN? Not that I'd actually use one, but I had the thrill of holding the Hasselblad used to shoot the Gemini IV space walk back around 1969 or so. I'd love to have one to commemorate that personal event.

Here's what's left of that camera:

And one of the pictures taken with it:

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9143 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
quote:

Great old camera. Wanted one many years back...couldn't rationalize the price.

Some good info on your new camera: https://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/f3.htm

Back when, they were more than I made in an entire month before deductions (in the Navy). This one is in great shape, just calibrated, etc. $269. I was on Ebay, and some folks are selling new in box (so they say...) F3HPs.

Posts: 3212 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I have my Minolta SRT-101 that I bought in '75.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:

That was my first real camera.

I still have two Canon AE-1's. Not sure what to do with them. Confused

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38642 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I miss film.

quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:

That was my first real camera.

I still have two Canon AE-1's. Not sure what to do with them. Confused

Posts: 1978 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:
..."new to me" Nikon F3. Had only wanted one since 1981. Smile

I bought one (new) in 1983, along with an assortment of lenses, a motor drive, strobe, etc. A year or so later I found a like-new Nikkormat, black body, which I bought with the proceeds of a photo spread of mine that appeared in Competition Press - Auto Week.

Both were worth every penny.

So, where are you seeing Hasselblads for pennies on the dollar, FN? Not that I'd actually use one, but I had the thrill of holding the Hasselblad used to shoot the Gemini IV space walk back around 1969 or so. I'd love to have one to commemorate that personal event.

Here's what's left of that camera:

And one of the pictures taken with it:

Maybe not pennies...lets say DIMES to the dollar...I have run across three nice old Hasselblads in the past year or so. All three original Zeiss Planar lens, a12 film backs and the waist level finder, Two were $600 one which was REALLY mint, booklets, etc.. was $750.

Saw one in a camera store in Missoula a few days ago...didn't note the price.

If I was the least bit talented or artistic I could rationalize buying one. But unfortunately I am not.

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I still have a Pentax ME Super and 3 lenses as well as a motor drive. I haven't used it in probably, 25 years or longer. Took great pictures and I enlarged a number of them. 3 are still hanging on walls in the house.

I currently have a Nikon D5300 with 5 lenses but I find myself using a Sony HX 90V and the camera on my LG G6 phone more and more.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
I had a Canon AE-1P for many years, I donated it to my nephew about two years ago, I think he still uses it, he is very much into film.

Posts: 12178 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post