SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody else use Atenolol to control high blood pressure?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody else use Atenolol to control high blood pressure? Login/Join 
Excitable Boy
Picture of Dan the man
posted
If so and you plan on refilling a prescription in the near future you may be surprised to learn there is a "nationwide shortage" of this very common drug. My pharmacist can't explain it. My doctor can't explain it. A quick google reveals that some are saying this appears to be collusion among six pharmaceutical companies. All six have recently announced the shortage with only one of them giving any reason, which is "increased demand". If it is collusion, to me that sure seems pretty blatant.

I've had to switch to Metoprolol, a common alternative, which so far has not been as effective for me and gives me a constant relentless headache, which I don't even see as a listed side effect.

Anyone here have any thoughts on this?

China is Asshoe

Posts: 2270 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get mine from the military. I won't need a refill until next month, so I guess I will find out. Thanks for the information.

Posts: 271 | Location: New Braunfels, TX | Registered: January 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There has been a shortage since late July. We received a small shipment a few weeks back but I'm not sure when it's coming back online. Check with your pharmacy on availability. Be proactive and call your doc to change to another beta blocker until Atenolol is back in stock.

Posts: 2156 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Excitable Boy
Picture of Dan the man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Erick85:
There has been a shortage since late July. We received a small shipment a few weeks back but I'm not sure when it's coming back online. Check with your pharmacy on availability. Be proactive and call your doc to change to another beta blocker until Atenolol is back in stock.

Pharmacy just doesn't know. I've been in contact with my doctor several times over the last week. Actually had a couple of scary days last week while transitioning. My numbers are more close to normal (for me) at this time. We are staying the course for now.

China is Asshoe

Posts: 2270 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Anyone who can get off Atenolol should. It is a very old drug in the class. That isn't the problem. As a class many benefits have been attributed to the beta blockers. However, many years later when studies were done Atenolol was found to be an exception to the benefits. In some ways it actually works contrary to the benefits that the others in the class provide.

Please make sure your Metoprolol is Succionate, not Tartrate. Tartrate is not only inconvenient at twice daily doses, but also does not have the benefits in a number of circumstances that the Succionate, which is daily, does have.

The headaches may be from a number of causes, but the Metoprolol is highly unlikely to be one, generally speaking. However, coming off the Atenolol can be. Most people can transition off to another BB without much problem. For some, however, the Atenolol seems dug in like a tick. It can be quite difficult to transition from. I've discussed this with some national thought leaders in pharmacology. They don't have good answers. If you still have some Atenolol it may be possible to bridge and overlap the two meds, but this has to be done under close physician instruction and supervision.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Excitable Boy
Picture of Dan the man
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the insights ChuckFinley.

China is Asshoe

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I have been taking Atenolol for years. My PCP just switched me to Metaprolol Tartrate and I have experienced no ill effects. I take it once a day.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Dan, you're most welcome.

quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
I have been taking Atenolol for years. My PCP just switched me to Metaprolol Tartrate and I have experienced no ill effects. I take it once a day.

A. It isn't a once a day medicine.
B. It lacks some of the benefits of Succionate.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
Metoprolol Tartrate ... lacks some of the benefits of Succionate.
Can you give a bit more information re the benefits of Succinate?

Reason I'm asking, I am taking Metoprolol Tartrate. My semi-annual appointment with the Doc is coming up, and this might be something I should discuss with him.

Actually, he was not the one who got me started on Metoprolol Tartrate. I was hospitalized couple of years ago with Guillian Barré, and the hospital cardio doc added Metoprolol Tartrate to my daily Lisinopril. When I got out of the hospital, my primary care Doc just continued what the hospital had started.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From what I’m seeing now, the shortage is over. Inventory is available at our suppliers distribution center.
The only info I was able to find from all manufacturers was a shortage of raw material as the reason for the shortage.
We limited patients to one month supply at a time and managed to meet the demand for everyone.

GW.

Posts: 642 | Location: Auburn, AL | Registered: August 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
Please make sure your Metoprolol is Succionate, not Tartrate. Tartrate is not only inconvenient at twice daily doses, but also does not have the benefits in a number of circumstances that the Succionate, which is daily, does have.

Could you explain further please? I take lopressor (metroprolol) twice daily along with a very small dosage of an ACE inhibitor once a day for BP control.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
In the past medical education didn't make much, if any distinction between beta blockers, and certainly not between the two metoprolol formulations. For a long time it was simply a choice based on formulary and whether patients would take a twice a day over a once a day. That actually becomes the first problem. Many patients one way or another will only take metoprolol tartrate (Lopressor) once daily. This doesn't provide 24 hour blood pressure or heart rate control, nor does it provide consistent protection against heart attacks. Given that either metoprolol formulation can be used to manage angina, or the threat of developing angina/symptomatic coronary disease do you want the one that is an immediate release drug, is excreted faster, and cannot be depended on to stick around and to have consistent blood levels and effectiveness?

Metoprolol succinate has since been shown to have superior effectiveness in heart failure patients compared to metoprolol tartrate. A regimen of an ACE inhibitor and a beta blocker can be used not only to treat heart failure, but also to proactively remodel/maintain the heart muscle. In some cases this may delay, prevent or reduce the extent of heart failure that a person may suffer. This can make a difference in mortality.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chuck. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Excitable Boy
Picture of Dan the man
posted Hide Post
Wow, great information here. I checked and it is the succinate that I am taking right now. Looking forward to my next doctor visit to discuss options.

China is Asshoe