SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pre paid credit cards - any recommendations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre paid credit cards - any recommendations Login/Join 
Picture of katndog
posted
My niece is looking to establish her credit. She was asking about pre-paid credit cards. I've been doing some research, but wondering if anyone has any recommendations.

Thanks!

Posts: 2629 | Location: CT | Registered: October 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
My daughter did a credit card with a $500 limit.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Do pre-paid credit cards have any effect on credit ratings?

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
When she goes to college, she will get piled on with credit card offers.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
look in to secured credit cards. They are the one of the primary ways for people who have no credit or even bankruptcies to recover their credit.

I know wells fargo reports their secured credit cards to the credit bureau.

You give them 500 dollars, or whatever amount, and they hold it. After a year or so of no credit issues, they refund you the money and it turns into a standard credit card.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
Went through this with one of my kids trying to establish her credit. USAA offers secured cards and reports them to the 3 credit bureaus with no notation they're secured.

“The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable...”
― H.L. Mencken

-All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Posts: 4811 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Do pre-paid credit cards have any effect on credit ratings?

Yes, same effect as a regular credit card.

It's just a credit card, same as any other. The only difference is that your limit is fixed to the amount that you deposit in advance. Your money just sits somewhere until you establish your credit history.

I opened one through my bank, then Washington Mutual, when I was 18.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What I did was purchased a CD at my bank. Then put the CD up as collateral for a loan.

Bill

Posts: 726 | Location: Florida | Registered: October 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katndog
posted Hide Post
thanks so much for the suggestions Smile

Posts: 2629 | Location: CT | Registered: October 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post