SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dewalt 20v Drill
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dewalt 20v Drill Login/Join 
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted
Now I know what you guys are going to say, that there are better drills out there. I believe you. But I'm trying to do my homework on a Dewalt 20v Drill. There are so many model numbers out there. I'm looking for a light duty/house work drill. It has to be in the 20v category because I already have a Dewalt 20v Impact driver and would like to stick with the same batteries for simplicity. Ideally I'd like to stay under $150 because I don't need another set of batteries and another charger.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have a simple DeWalt 20 volt drill and I just love it. Batteries last well, tons of torque, light, and maneuverable.

It's not an impact driver, but it does everything I have asked of it. It has replaced my DeWalt 14.4 as the batteries in that one are pretty well gone.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Look for brushless with a metal chuck. The plastic chuck ones tend to slip sometimes no matter how tight you think they are.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16399 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Craigslist or that online auction. Sometimes available new. Cheaper.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I've got a pair, I like em.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://smile.amazon.com/DEWAL...2%22+brushless+drill

Find the cheapest one of these and enjoy!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
If you are not in a hurry.. They have great deals for fathers day..

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I picked up this one a few years ago and it's great. So much lighter than my 18v, too. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052MIH88

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
Look for brushless with a metal chuck. The plastic chuck ones tend to slip sometimes no matter how tight you think they are.

Agreed.

The model# on mine is DCD790 (20-Volt MAX XR Lithium-Ion Cordless 1/2 in. Brushless Compact Drill/Driver) - Amazon has the bare tool at $112.
HD has it currently listed at $199 - but I'm sure I didn't pay more than that and I got the 1/4" impact driver with the combo...

I'm guessing that they'll go on sale as we approach Father's day.

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:

Agreed.

The model# on mine is DCD790 (20-Volt MAX XR Lithium-Ion Cordless 1/2 in. Brushless Compact Drill/Driver) - Amazon has the bare tool at $112.
HD has it currently listed at $199 - but I'm sure I didn't pay more than that and I got the 1/4" impact driver with the combo...

I'm guessing that they'll go on sale as we approach Father's day.
Excellent. Thanks guys.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't had any issues with the plastic chuck slipping. That being said here's a killer deal on a dewalt 20v drill (plastic chuck), 2 batteries, charger and case for $99

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWAL...dless-Drill/50040962

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I just picked up the DeWalt 20v drill, impact driver, circular saw and light plus the bag it all goes in for $250 marked down from $400 at my local fleet farm supply store.
Wasn't even in the store for that they had them on a end cap with a big price sign hanging on them. Grabbed it instantly at that price.
Used the drill so far I like it.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Since you already have the battery and charger, go online and see if they have any of the "tool only" deals at Home Depot and Lowe's.

Definitely agree on the brushless motors for these. A full charge will last you quite some time.

When I bought my Milwaukee set, it came with a charger and 2 batteries. My subsequent purchases were for tools only as I did not need additional batteries/chargers since this is for home use.

Posts: 13112 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get one with the metal front housing.

https://www.ebay.com/p/DEWALT-...aa11b1272c67fff6f3fa

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post