SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help ID'ing an invasive plant
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help ID'ing an invasive plant Login/Join 
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted
I have this spreading across my backyard. It spreads like ground cover which is great in some parts of the yard but its starting to invade the area where I have grass.

I grows on rocks...anything. Standing water like we had a lot of here in Houston recently kills it.

Thanks!

JB

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
My yard has a zillion green things in it. I just mow them all and call it a lawn. I don't care if it's grass or "weeds", as long as it doesn't have thorns it's okay.

I don't recognize the stuff in your pic.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure that is Dove Weed.

It is a horrible weed to get and nearly impossible to get rid of so far.

I have looked into it and they are trying to develop chemicals to eradicate it.

http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/weeds/doveweed

Quote from another page:

"It is difficult to completely eliminate a doveweed problem in a single year, especially when the populations of this weed are high. Doveweed seeds can survive in the soil for several years, so doveweed management should be planned for two or three years. For these reasons, a set of sequential, complementary actions, including turf management practices and herbicide applications, are the best strategy. It is important to combine sequences of PRE and POST herbicide applications such that the herbicide is active when the doveweed is most susceptible (early growth stages); following applications will kill the surviving plants. Finally, once herbicides have taken effect, a healthy, aggressive turfgrass is the best defense against doveweed."

--------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I think you can kill it with Kudzu...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

LOL you're rotten. Big Grin

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Or build dikes and flood your lawn....

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First glance, I thought it could be Virginia Buttonweed but I didn't see the distinctive four petal white flowers.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. ~Brian O’ Driscoll

Posts: 1453 | Location: Back to the Island in MS | Registered: May 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Check this link for Doveweed control: https://www.solutionsstores.co...rol/doveweed-control

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
My yard has a zillion green things in it. I just mow them all and call it a lawn. I don't care if it's grass or "weeds", as long as it doesn't have thorns it's okay.

I don't recognize the stuff in your pic.

My man.

If it's green and I can run over it with a lawn mower, it's grass. If it's green and I CAN'T run over it with a lawn mower, it's a tree.

Problem solved.

Big Grin

I am considering various approaches to a really serious Creeping Charley infestation tho. It's ugly enough in the lawn, but it's goddamn NASTY in the flower beds. So far, the only thing I've found that'll kill it also kills everything else.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Goats! Big Grin

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MSMA used to be the standard for doveweed control, which is infact what you have. With MSMA no longer available to the pest control market, this weed has become increasingly invasive.
I have been testing a product combination for the control of Tropical Signalgrass in the southeast. As part of the trials, I have been applying this product to a wide spectrum of additional weeds, including doveweed. The combination of Amicarbazone and Thiencarbazone-methyl provides total eradication in three days.
In short, no one product provides adequate control, but a product such as Celsius WG will be a good start.
If there are any licensed chemicals applicatorson this forum struggling with Tropical Signalgrass in the southeast, help is on the way. Watch for good things to happen soon!

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

LOL you're rotten. Big Grin

Ohhhh nooo, the Killer that is Kudzu!!! Eek Eek

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
Relax. There is no such thing as a "weeds." They are plants or grasses with a name. Smile

My wife wants to kill all the "weeds", I say "no such thing". She says "Help me or you mind find that there is no such thing as Loving."

How can you argue with that? Wink

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2270 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post