SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Portable generator questions
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Portable generator questions Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Is the dependability similar with inverter and traditional generators? How about between single and dual fuel models?

There are more parts with an inverter, including a battery. In an emergency I would like to keep it simple. Is there much worry about a traditional generator damaging furnaces and refrigerators do to enhanced electronics inside?

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
Is the dependability similar with inverter and traditional generators? How about between single and dual fuel models?

There are more parts with an inverter, including a battery. In an emergency I would like to keep it simple. Is there much worry about a traditional generator damaging furnaces and refrigerators do to enhanced electronics inside?

Inverter and normal generators should have about the same dependability. Higher end electronics generally don't like to run on traditional generators (tv's, computers etc.), refrigerators and furnaces don't usually have an issue.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having spent 40+ hours without power last week has me looking into generators too. But I have a 5 ton AC I need to run. We are looking to move soon(1-2 years) so a dedicated whole house unit is not in the budget. The HVAC was replaced last summer so I was able to pull this info from the service manual:

POWER CONNS. — V/PH/HZ (b)
208/230/1/60

MIN. BRCH. CIR. AMPACITY - 32
BR. CIR. PROT. RTG. — MAX. (AMPS) - 50

So with these numbers I'm requiring 10.4kw peak wattage generator to start the AC?

The new AC has a control board to handle a 9 speed blower motor. So I'm thinking an inverter would be ideal. If I have to get a big generator I would not want to worry about the AC cycling on and bringing electronics down.

What is the reputation on the Northstar Honda powered generators? I've haven't found much on them. I'm considering this one: NorthStar w/Honda GX630 OHV Engine+

Thanks.
-TVz

Posts: 432 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: May 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
^^^ look on your name plate for the A/C, LRA will give you approx load at start up (probably 150a +/- 15a). This would need a 20kw generator minimum to start it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In addition I have not seen an inverter anywhere over roughly 7000watts. The one you linked is not an inverter.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hrcjon,

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
One solution would be to get a regular ac generator of sufficient size, and then use a true sine wave UPS for your electronics. I did this before I got my diesel setup. I use a cyberpower UPS for my electronics. It fixes any irregularities in the incoming power, and keeps everything running during the switchover to generator power. It will also allow your computer to shut down gracefully if the battery gets depleted.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback. I found this monster Generac that has a peak of 26kw that would handle it, but man that's a lot of generator!
Generac GP17500E

I've got a UPS for my PC and a line conditioner for my main TV but will need to add more. My concern with this Generac would be is the power clean enough for the AC. Also storing it and having enough gas to run it. A smaller generator and a window AC may end up being the option.

-TVz

Posts: 432 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: May 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TVzombie:
Thanks for the feedback. I found this monster Generac that has a peak of 26kw that would handle it, but man that's a lot of generator!
Generac GP17500E

I've got a UPS for my PC and a line conditioner for my main TV but will need to add more. My concern with this Generac would be is the power clean enough for the AC. Also storing it and having enough gas to run it. A smaller generator and a window AC may end up being the option.

-TVz

I manage/maintain yachts.....out of the 1000s of yachts I've run, all have normal generators (non inverter) from 5kw-200kw, none of them have I had an issue running any electronics on......

Edited to add: If I was going with a whole house generator. Cummins/Onan would be my first choice, and Kohler my second choice, I wouldn't even consider Generac.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jimmy, that is good to hear.

-TVz

Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I don't care for that Generac for a few reasons...

The 250v plug is rated for 50a max, so the most you can get from that outlet is 12500 watts (continuous).
You might be able to run multiple circuits (50 for HVAC, 30a for home electronics) but that complicates the install quite a bit. At that point you might as well go with a whole house permanent unit.

I'm not a fan of Generac units of late, I had an older GP5500 that ran like a top but was a little undersized. A lot of friends and family bought Generac after hearing us talk about ours, and more than half have had issues (bad coil in one, bad generator head in another, and a whole house unit that has had a host of issues from the battery charger to the automatic transfer switch).
In short, I just don't trust the name like I once did.

All that said, most electronics are ok on generators. You just need to be smart about it i.e. don't use frequent power cycle appliances, if you are not using it, ether unplug or keep the breaker off, isolate the most sensitive with either line conditioner or UPS.

AC, refrigerators, furnaces, well pumps... they have long cycle times, that allows the generator to stabilize after the change in the power demand. If you run a microwave, that cycles so quickly, the generators have a hard time keeping up, and will run over-voltage causing the spikes that cause the most damage.
Some generators are better at managing the surge demands than others (between flywheel weight, generator heads, and power type). This is why fixed units beat our portable units, or why diesels beat gas...

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post