SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Portable generator questions
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Portable generator questions Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted
Well, needless to say...after this week I’m looking at generators. A whole home setup would be sweet, but there’s just no way we can afford that route. I’ve been looking hard at this Generac unit (GP8000).
https://www.generac.com/all-pr...ies/gp8000e-49st-csa

The biggest drawback I can see is having enough gasoline to feed one of these at any given time. There are aftermarket natural gas conversion kits specific to this model. We have natural gas at our house already, this seems like it might be an answer as it give us unlimited fuel for it however it will void the warranty from Generac. I’ve looked for dual fuel type units and am not finding anything comparable as far as a reliable brand goes.

What are y’all’s thoughts? This is new territory for me.. Thanks!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would find a brand that has duel fuel option.

I just purchased a Champion and am very happy with it. It has run like a champ during break-in, monthly maintenance runs and for about 4 hours to test my setup.

Champion Generator

I know it is smaller than what you are looking at, but there are other models and brands. Many have a kit to go from propane to NG. I am using propane as that is always available for the most part and is easy to store.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1531 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Size the generator to the loads you want to run. What are you wanting to run if the power goes out?

Posts: 10940 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
The specific generator above can be plugged into the house breaker panel after some mods from what I understand. At that point it could run almost the whole house or at least a good portion. We don’t have a big place...2000sq ft. Things at the top of the list are HVAC, fridge, etc.

quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Size the generator to the loads you want to run. What are you wanting to run if the power goes out?

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen that Champion unit but didn’t know whether to consider it. So it’s a solid unit?

quote:
Originally posted by bozman:
I would find a brand that has duel fuel option.

I just purchased a Champion and am very happy with it. It has run like a champ during break-in, monthly maintenance runs and for about 4 hours to test my setup.

Champion Generator

I know it is smaller than what you are looking at, but there are other models and brands. Many have a kit to go from propane to NG. I am using propane as that is always available for the most part and is easy to store.

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I didn't lose power for any length of time but several others at work have had no power for a week.

I'm looking into a unit now as well and the duel fuel ones look to be the best bet.
Propane stores better and I have several tanks.
My neighbor is an electrician and was showing me switch boxes that go next to the main fuse panel.
Just add whatever circuits you want to power and flip a switch.
About $280 for one that would suit my needs.

Posts: 1478 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
I bought this DF Westinghouse as I didn't want to be bothered with gasoline unless absolutely necessary:

https://www.amazon.com/Westing...s=lawn-garden&sr=1-1

I haven't hooked it up to the house yet, but it's received a ton of good reviews...

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7507 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Exactly

quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
I didn't lose power for any length of time but several others at work have had no power for a week.

I'm looking into a unit now as well and the duel fuel ones look to be the best bet.
Propane stores better and I have several tanks.
My neighbor is an electrician and was showing me switch boxes that go next to the main fuse panel.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Well, needless to say...after this week I’m looking at generators. A whole home setup would be sweet, but there’s just no way we can afford that route. I’ve been looking hard at this Generac unit (GP8000).

I have this one that is the EFI version of the model you are looking at. Nice easy starts. I fire it up and let it run once a month to keep things moving.

https://www.generac.com/all-pr.../xt-series/xt8000efi

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2 of my neighbors bought into the General with Natural Gas deal. They seem to work fine and actually serve most/all the house but boy are they super noisy and outside both of their Master Bedrooms. I would try to hear one or get some references before going that route.

Posts: 59 | Registered: April 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
This is another concern, right after figuring out the fuel deal

quote:
Originally posted by cmartin:
2 of my neighbors bought into the General with Natural Gas deal. They seem to work fine and actually serve most/all the house but boy are they super noisy and outside both of their Master Bedrooms. I would try to hear one or get some references before going that route.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Costco has a three fuel generator $799

https://www.costco.com/firman-...oduct.100648883.html

Posts: 23450 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Generac 8000/13000W. Bought it in 2007 and it has over 400 hours on it. Runs great - no issues. Consumes about 1/2 gallon per hour under half load.

Biggest drawback is that it is loud. (it's not a Honda)

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
quote:

Is that a kit or you put it together, link?

JC

Posts: 1269 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I have the Champion dual fuel 7500w. It has gotten its first workout this week. It had no problem running for 8+ hours on a full tank of gasoline. I have 3 5-gallon + a 2-gallon gas cans to feed it. Before this calamity started, the genny was full as well as the gas cans. I only had to refill 12 gallons worth to get us through the outages this week.

I had an electrician install an inlet and interlock kit (sliding lockout that prevents generator and line power from being on at the same time) in our panel. It will run nearly everything in the house (except our 5ton AC unit) as long as we are careful not to run multiple high demand appliances at the same time. Did fine with the furnace blower, lights, septic pump, small space heater for our travel trailer, coffee pot, fridge and freezer etc. Didn't use it with electric oven, clothes dryer etc.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Do you have gas heat, gas clothes dryer, and a gas water heater? Well water or city water? Do you really need an 8KW generator? A smaller generator will use less fuel.

Yes, you can have a lockout installed on your electrical panel and selectively power whatever circuits in your house you'd like. I have one on my house in Florida.

I have a whole house setup at my house in Michigan. It required the gas company to install a meter that could handle the volume of gas needed to run the 22KW generator.

Posts: 10940 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got one from Harbor Freight for hurricanes. Basically a Honda knock off and not near as quiet. Used for 10days this past year. No issues at all and affordable

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apf383:
I bought this DF Westinghouse as I didn't want to be bothered with gasoline unless absolutely necessary:

https://www.amazon.com/Westing...s=lawn-garden&sr=1-1

I haven't hooked it up to the house yet, but it's received a ton of good reviews...

I looked at thus one as well, but decided on the Champion. The extra $400 for and addtl 2k watts didn't make it worth it for me.

That said the wattage and run time is less of propane than gasoline.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Just FYI, we have gas for the furnace, fireplace and stove.

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnCourage:
quote:

Is that a kit or you put it together, link?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Re...-3006HDK/kg202213700

Posts: 1478 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post