SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Time to buy a new grill! looking for help
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time to buy a new grill! looking for help Login/Join 
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Weber Performer Deluxe. We love it and I smoke on it all the time. I can adjust the temp from 185 to 550 degrees. I'm thinking of getting a Slow 'N' Sear instead of a Smokenator.

Here is a link: http://amazingribs.com/tips_an...que/slow_n_sear.html

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Maybe blasphemy, but I use a propane cabinet smoker when I want to smoke. 1) Temperatures are very consistent over a long smoke. 2) You don't have to refuel during a long smoke, or if you do, it's just a matter of switching tanks. 3) You get many more square inches of smoke space--if I am smoking, I'm always making a large quantity of food, and a single level or two on a Kettle Grill or a BGE doesn't seem like enough.

I also keep a separate Weber (Performer 22") for grilling. With the lid off and a full bed of coals, I can get it up to to around 600 degrees. Perhaps not as hot as a BGE, as the insulation seems to help get the temperature high.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Maybe blasphemy, but I use a propane cabinet smoker when I want to smoke. 1) Temperatures are very consistent over a long smoke. 2) You don't have to refuel during a long smoke, or if you do, it's just a matter of switching tanks. 3) You get many more square inches of smoke space--if I am smoking, I'm always making a large quantity of food, and a single level or two on a Kettle Grill or a BGE doesn't seem like enough.

I also keep a separate Weber (Performer 22") for grilling. With the lid off and a full bed of coals, I can get it up to to around 600 degrees. Perhaps not as hot as a BGE, as the insulation seems to help get the temperature high.
I lived in Orange County, CA, for a tad over 3 years, and I had to wear ear plugs to drown out the gnashing of teeth if it got over 78 or under 70. Wink Y'all don't need insulated grills to maintain temps, but it does aid in cutting down charcoal / gas usage on longer smokes.

I've grilled and smoked year around with my large BGE in Anchorage, AK; Calgary, Alberta; and N. Houston, TX. It was a rock star at keeping even temps on long smokes, and my favorite BGE pic is from Alaska a few Thanksgivings ago:
upload pics

This cold and rainy smoke is my 2nd favorite pic:
upload pics

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
Is that a rain guard on top? Whats with the bucket on the bottm vent?

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I toured this place recently and I'm sold...my bank account is not but they will last a lifetime....

https://www.facebook.com/BQ-Grills-483185058414639/

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonATI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywendland1981:

To protect the fan.

Posts: 429 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: October 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnnyD
posted Hide Post
In my humble experience, anything WEBER is a good product. Grills, utensils, spices... all good.

-----------------------------------

USAF/ANG Retired

Posts: 782 | Location: Garland, (Zombieland) TX. | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
Vision grill from Sam's. Add $50 to your price point

https://m.samsclub.com/ip/kama...717&wl17=1o1&veh=sem

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JasonATI:
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywendland1981:

To protect the fan.
Correct, I have a BBQ Guru controlling temperature. Fan is mounted in wine bucket to prevent water/snow from blowing through fan, and controller is inside the plastic bin on the table. Just a cheap chimney cap press fit over the adjustable top vent.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyD:
In my humble experience, anything WEBER is a good product. Grills, utensils, spices... all good.

I think so too. We have a Weber kettle grill that's seen heavy use for over 30 years. We've replaced the grates a few times, but that's all.

My Weber smoker is only about 15 years old, but sees year round use.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
Grilled myself a nice venison fatty on my Weber Performer last night. Mmmmm...Good! Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 12GA,

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post