SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    O Bendable, Bendable, wherefore art thou Bendable?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

O Bendable, Bendable, wherefore art thou Bendable? Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Welcome back, bendable! (I'm still running W7Pro.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Speaking of MIA, along with Bendable, has anyone seen the Monkey... Last seen swinging from the trees on Jan 30.
Monkey was IT director for an engineering company before recently retiring. He was trying to help a member with a problem, networking problem if memory serves. Somebody else basically told Monkey that he was full of crap, monkey being justifiably tired of that shit, said "adios." That was February 1, 2021.

Ouch I missed that originally and just found it after doing a search. Nasty .... Eek
Really sorry to see sigmonkey gone.

There's been too much of that sort of stuff in recent times. ApplianceBrad's period of absence immediately comes to mind.

I find this to be really upsetting. I don't have the words right now. I don't know why. I've never even met him. Why anyone would give the Monkey crap.

Posts: 7348 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Re: the thread title…

“Language has a natural prejudice for clarity (usually, at least), and it’s easy to see why wherefore has an archaic ring to it. We know it best, of course, from Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet:

O Romeo, Romeo! Wherefore art thou Romeo?

Because of the base word where, modern ears often interpret this line as asking the question: “Where are you, Romeo?” In fact, it’s asking, “Why are you Romeo?” The following line gives us a clue:

Deny thy father and refuse thy name.

Since what kept the lovers apart was their feuding families, they could be together without impediments if he had a different name. Why was he Romeo? …”

www.merriam-webster.com/words-...-meaning-shakespeare

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8925 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
figuring out Windows ten . . .
-bendable

Windows 10 is not something to be cast aside lightly...

It must be thrown with great force!

Posts: 9138 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Speaking of MIA, along with Bendable, has anyone seen the Monkey... Last seen swinging from the trees on Jan 30.

Monkey was IT director for an engineering company before recently retiring. He was trying to help a member with a problem, networking problem if memory serves. Somebody else basically told Monkey that he was full of crap, monkey being justifiably tired of that shit, said "adios." That was February 1, 2021.

I'm kind of surprised he let another member here drive him off. I get that all the time. Sometimes I get annoyed. Increasingly I just let it roll off. Depends upon my mood Smile

The last twenty-five years of my career I ran IT for a $50m/year international corporation. TTBOMK, I retired with a spotless network security record. Right now I have somebody on another forum trying to school me in, of all things, network security ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(I haven't yet decided whether to light him up, ask him nicely to give it a rest, or simply ignore him.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Wading through personal attacks, either directed at the individual or an identifiable group, becomes very tedious after a while. On this forum it’s not possible to even discuss the measures that some of us believe are necessary to protect our health from a serious threat or simply ask how something like a vaccination has affected us without some ignoranus* stating that anyone who gets vaccinated is a mindless brainwashed fool. That sort of thing has even infected the humorous meme thread, so where do those who wish to avoid such things go? For a time I thought that maybe sticking to the threads that were nominally about guns and shooting would provide a refuge, but nope: Not always when even long term members can be ridiculed for asking serious questions.

I sometimes think that if I were a psychology student that I could collect enough information for a PhD dissertation from reading some of the posts here. Sad stuff.

And yes, now I’m whining, but, cripes; I cannot fathom what motivates some people other than their own insecurities and sense of personal worthlessness.

* Ignoranus: a stupid asshole.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
On this forum it’s not possible to even discuss the measures that some of us believe are necessary to protect our health from a serious threat or simply ask how something like a vaccination has affected us without some ignoranus* stating that anyone who gets vaccinated is a mindless brainwashed fool.
Then, don't discuss these things. It seems that you don't let an opportunity to complain about this pass you by. This makes the fourth of fifth time I've seen such comments from you, and here you are, seizing on yet another opportunity to say these things, in a thread not even related to this nonsense. I'd say there's no reason to continue harping on this. The subject is divisive and people are going to argue (and not just in this forum, despite what you seem to think. It's happening everywhere). Simple as that. If that bothers you so much, perhaps you should ignore such threads.

Posts: 107465 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have actually tried to ignore them, for example by not even opening the COVID-19 thread in a long time, but they show up in unexpected places, such as the humorous meme thread recently. Attacks are also inserted gratuitously in other places such as the discussion of how getting the vaccination affected people. Even the simple notice that a company was offering a free service to people who were vaccinated immediately turned into a political turd pile.

But I will try harder.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Then, use the report-this-post function to advise staff of your concerns. You're not going to be able to get people to discuss this insanity calmly and AFAIC, we're far past the point of trying to reason with the panicky cattle.

Posts: 107465 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wading through personal attacks, either directed at the individual ...

Para has made it clear that personal attacks on fellow SF members are not acceptable. Report them.

quote:
... or an identifiable group, becomes very tedious after a while.

Srsly? Perhaps grow a thicker skin? Or simply decline to be identified as part of "an identifiable group?" Then shade thrown at said "identifiable group" won't apply to you Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:

I find this to be really upsetting. I don't have the words right now. I don't know why. I've never even met him. Why anyone would give the Monkey crap.
I have met him. Numerous times. We have schmoozed, we have shot at hostile paper targets, we have flown, we have broken bread (OK, bagels). He is a great guy.

Why would somebody give him crap? Maybe disagreement about how to solve a computer problem. Instead of saying "I think you're wrong because <fact, fact, fact>" something was said along the lines of (not exact words, not worth the time to search it out), "You don't know what you're talking about. You're full of shit." Apparently, monkey had enough of this, it wasn't the first time, so he said "genug".

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30640 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Instead of saying "I think you're wrong because <fact, fact, fact>" something was said along the lines of (not exact words, not worth the time to search it out), "You don't know what you're talking about. You're full of shit."

Kind of. More accurately it was the other member being a condescending ass, which is all well-and-good, IMO, if the individual to whom you're replying had done something to provoke it in the first place.

While the individual in question was correct in all his points, he stated them very poorly. It was simply sloppy terminology on sigmonkey's part. Wasn't a hangin' offence.

quote:
Apparently, monkey had enough of this, it wasn't the first time, so he said "genug".

Apparently so Frown

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Too bad on SM, enjoyed his posts and his help years ago on a tech issue I had, nice guy, maybe it's just a break, we all need them from time to time...

Getting crap is part of being on the internet, even more so today. Few have a filter between the brain and the keyboard enter button...

Just avoid threads with topics or people that upset you, like you would do at a party, just walk away from the conversation or people you can't stand.

Posts: 23374 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry Para,
I guess I was too soon in coming back

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Apparently, monkey had enough of this, it wasn't the first time, so he said "genug".

I hope it's just a temporary respite because he always has something interesting to say.

He also has a great sense of humor, razor sharp wit, and mad photo shop skills. I recall his "transformation" of a Subaru into the Dukes of Hazzard's General Lee. Big Grin

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6393 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
I think the Monkey will be back at some point.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sorry Para, I guess I was too soon in coming back
Confused

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30640 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Confused

Yeah, you're not alone. bendable lost me here.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
quote:

Confused

Yeah, you're not alone. bendable lost me here.

Don't feel bad ~ speaking Bendable is not something everyone can achieve ~ it is much like being on the level of the Windtalkers of WWII .
I say that with all due respect as I have not achieved that status either. Frown

Posts: 22891 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thorlo socks are great. Bendable turned me on to them.

Posts: 12650 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post