SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Washer and Dryer Recommendations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Washer and Dryer Recommendations Login/Join 
posted
Time to replace my washer and dryer - both were relatively cheap units (sub $500 each) and are on their way out.

Looking for recommendations on top load washer with dials and a traditional dryer with dials.

I have heard some good things about Speed Queen products on-line but don't know anyone that has owned one.

It seems like it is very difficult to squeeze more than 4-5 years out of a washer or dryer these days without taking 1-2 expensive repairs on the chin.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speed Queen. Love ours, bought on the advice of Appliance Brad and many others here. They're the only ones still built the right way, solid.

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I bought a Speed Queen set when I bought my house, that was 28 years ago. I had no problems ever with the washer, other than some rust on the top for the last year or so until it blew a seal on the transmission and leaked oil into the tub, about 4 months ago. I replaced it then. The dryer had to have the heating element control board replaced a couple of years ago but it's still running fine.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Bought Speed Queen analog set last fall on advice from Appliance Brad. Don't hesitate, just do it. Smile

Mine was a little over $1600 after tax and delivery.

If I was looking to go cheap, Menards has an Amana top loader that still has an agitator and the washer and dryer are on sale now for $299 each.

Posts: 4691 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speed Queen washer owner here. Got it a few years ago and it's the basic one with the knobs, no computer board. The dryer is an older Maytag but when it goes I'll replace it with a Speed Queen model.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I think ours is a Whirlpool Cabrio set. Looking online, the new ones seem to be a touch screen interface, ours has a main cycle knob & a button for the couple settings along with a start cycle button.
Had it a few years & pretty happy with it. Moreso than the Frigidaire front loaders that were included in our new house.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15258 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't buy LG. We have had many issues with both washer and dryer...

Posts: 905 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Leaning towards the speed queen - just concerned over the smaller 3.3 CU tub on the washer.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Leaning towards the speed queen - just concerned over the smaller 3.3 CU tub on the washer.

I've got one and it's plenty big enough for large loads. Paid $849 for it 3 months ago and couldn't be happier with it. Clothes come out clean and even the Heavy Duty setting takes only 30 minutes to complete.

Posts: 2582 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post