SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Former Special Forces soldier (turned relief worker) storms thru gunfire to rescue child in Mosul (Video)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Former Special Forces soldier (turned relief worker) storms thru gunfire to rescue child in Mosul (Video) Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted

http://tribunist.com/news/caug...osul/?utm_source=MOH

ISIS has had a stronghold on Mosul, Iraq for quite awhile now. The 600,000 residents of Mosul have long been tormented by the terrorist group. Many of its citizens have been left or been killed. David Eubank, Former US Special Forces operator-turned aid worker, has done his part in helping the citizens of Mosul. His most recent video features his daring rescue of a child.

The video, which was published by Eubank’s foundation, Free Burma Rangers, shows the 56-year-old and his team spotting a child and a toddler climbing over a mound of dead bodies, allegedly the result of ISIS as they battle for Mosul.

The heart-pounding video shows a firefight at the location and shows an unarmed Eubank as he asks his team to lay down suppression fire and to pop a smoke grenade to mask his movements.

As he is covered from the smoke and suppression fire from his team, Eubank darts from behind the tank the team is using as cover and grabs the little girl.

Wearing only a bulletproof vest and helmet, Eubank emerges with the little girl draped over him. Once back behind the safety of the tank, an Iraqi interpreter leads the girl to a safe area and away from the kill zone she found herself in.

He went back for the toddler shortly after the video ended but was apparently unable to find him. In a separate attempt, Eubank tries to save a man who had been injured in the attack, but he succumbed to his wounds shortly after being rescued.

Eubank has been modest when asked about his organization. In an interview with the Los Angeles Times, he said: “I believe God sent me here, and I don’t think about security… but I always ask myself if I’m doing it out of pride.”

He knows the risk of what he is doing, but he has the support of his wife and kids as all of them regularly visit the war-torn area to helping the people there.

He also noted that if his time comes early, he would have no regrets and his family would understand. ‘I thought, “If I die doing this, my wife and kids would understand,” he told the Times.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=074GikYLERQ

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
That's a special kind of human being right there. He's 56 yrs old for crying out loud!

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
^^^^apparently being a badass comes with no expiration date Eek

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
Bad ass.

Posts: 2399 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
OUTSTANDING! I would LOVE to buy that man a drink. I'd be honored to. Selfless, steely bravery. Wow

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
A little more background on him and his family. Not sure bringing the kids to Iraq is the best idea but it looks like his heart is in the right place.
http://www.latimes.com/world/l...-20170616-story.html

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Wearing only a bulletproof vest and helmet ...

What else does the reporter believe he should be wearing?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18022 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Wearing only a bulletproof vest and helmet ...

What else does the reporter believe he should be wearing?

A gun?

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I'll buy him as much beer as he can drink and as much steak as he can eat, both in 24 hours, and then donate three times the dollar value of beer and steak to the Free Burma Rangers. I

I may have to mortgage the house to do so, but why the fuck not.

Men like those need our support.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31424 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Brings tears to my eyes.
What a Man.
God Bless Him and watch over him.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
That's certainly doing what you believe in.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19641 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
awesome

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53163 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ontmark:
Brings tears to my eyes.
What a Man.
God Bless Him and watch over him.

My exact thoughts as well..

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
You seldom, if ever, get to witness bravery/heroism in action. Thanks for posting this.

Q

Posts: 26332 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Would it not have been a little bit smarter to just ask the tank driver to drive over there, to use the vehicle as cover?

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Would it not have been a little bit smarter to just ask the tank driver to drive over there, to use the vehicle as cover?

The video does not show what is in front of the tank, but since these guys are all former Special Forces I'm sure if it was an option they would have taken it.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is/was badassery..

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
The Free Burma Rangers have a YT channel.

Go check it out.

I'm not sure if these guys are religious zealots (not that there is much wrong with that) or men and women for whom doing God's work is a calling.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31424 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post