SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gents, check the jack on your Toyota Tacoma
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gents, check the jack on your Toyota Tacoma Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
I've had my TRD Sport 4x4 long bed for 10 years and finally got my first flat tire yesterday. Unfortunately, the jack that came with my Tacoma didn't work. Even though I was on level ground and haven't modified my truck, I didn't have enough lift with the jack to get the tire off the ground until I set it on some 2x4s I scrounged up. I suspect Totyota cut corners and put in one of their car jacks for the Tacoma. In any event its worthless. I'm off to NAPA to look into a new jack today.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Get a high lift jack.

Great thing to have, it's a must have on the trail.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Within the first few weeks of owning a new car, I always try out the jack and where the best place to lift the car is.

Curious, where was your lifting point? Even under the differential it was too short?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
Just go to a junkyard and get a jack for a full sized pickup or suv.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wandering, but
not lost...I think
Picture of brywards
posted Hide Post
Apparnetly common with Toyota trucks - I had the same predicament with an '07 Tacoma TRD Sport 4WD. Get yourself a decent bottle-jack at the auto parts store or Wal-mart...shouldn't run you more than $50.

And no, lifting under the differential on a Tacoma is not approved, though I doubt it would do any damage if you lifted slow.

Hi-lifts are great for getting over an obstacle on a trail as a fulcrum - they are not stable enough for repair work.

Posts: 2715 | Location: West Texas | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brywards:

And no, lifting under the differential on a Tacoma is not approved, though I doubt it would do any damage if you lifted slow.

It's not approved? Say what?

Scissor jacks I find work pretty well.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Reminds me of Jeep forum, don't lift from the differential because the weight of the body against the springs bents the housing downwards. ..

Posts: 693 | Location: West of the Pecos | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wandering, but
not lost...I think
Picture of brywards
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I vaguely recall reading it in the manual, though it's been years, and I used the 2x4 "extension" method the OP described, so it was a moot point for me.

Posts: 2715 | Location: West Texas | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stock tires and wheels I would throw a fit, anything else I would blame on lack of a plan.
Stock tires and wheels I would throw a fit, anything else I would blame on lack of a plan. I apologize for my apparent lack of reading skills.

Posts: 693 | Location: West of the Pecos | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Within the first few weeks of owning a new car, I always try out the jack and where the best place to lift the car is.

Curious, where was your lifting point? Even under the differential it was too short?

Unfortunately, I didn't have the common sense to do that. I do now but in my defense this is only the second flat tire I've had in years of driving. However, I've learned my lesson. I'm checking my Nissan Armada when it cools down later today as well.

I didn't use the differential as a lift point. The manual and YouTube said to use the frame and had a suggested point that I followed.

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Apparnetly common with Toyota trucks - I had the same predicament with an '07 Tacoma TRD Sport 4WD.

We have the exact year and model of Tacoma - 2007 TRD Sport. Interesting. I wonder if only this model or year were impacted?

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alpine79830:
Stock tires and wheels I would throw a fit, anything else I would blame on lack of a plan.
Stock tires and wheels I would throw a fit, anything else I would blame on lack of a plan. I apologize for my apparent lack of reading skills.

Hehehe. Big Grin Wink. I've NEVER done that on SIGforum.

posted Hide Post
I have a 2001 Tacoma 4x4 king cab. Probably same jack, same problem. Carry a few 2x4's when I travel.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alpine79830:
quote:
quote:

Reminds me of Jeep forum, don't lift from the differential because the weight of the body against the springs bents the housing downwards. ..

Is that right...well good to know. I need research this.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
I've had my TRD Sport 4x4 long bed for 10 years and finally got my first flat tire yesterday. Unfortunately, the jack that came with my Tacoma didn't work. Even though I was on level ground and haven't modified my truck, I didn't have enough lift with the jack to get the tire off the ground until I set it on some 2x4s I scrounged up. I suspect Totyota cut corners and put in one of their car jacks for the Tacoma. In any event its worthless. I'm off to NAPA to look into a new jack today.

I have never trusted factory jacks. I carry this Norco 5 ton bottle jack, which is probably overkill for my Tacoma, but I used to drive 2500 Dodges with some heavy trailers. BTW, Norco are made in Japan, not China. I also carry 3 pieces of 2x6 lumber for bracing the jack against soft ground, and also raising it. Also a breaker bar with an extension and socket for my lug nuts. And keep my spare(s) aired up.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
Get a high lift jack.

Great thing to have, it's a must have on the trail.

High lifts are great just not useful for the majority of vehicles on the road. There's no solid point to have the high lift jack on. My old XJ I had rock rails which worked great for the high lift.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
My daughter asked me to do the brakes on her 2014 Scion FR-S. Good thing I did, I found out the local Toyota stealership screwed up one stud on each front tire so the lug nuts would not come off. I assume they used their air impact when doing their check (since they gave her paperwork showing the brake pad thickness) and overtightened and stripped/galled the threads. All but one lig nut on each side would come off, I had to use my electric impact wrench to remove the lug nuts, there was smoke coming off them from all the heat/friction. I was unable to remove them with a two foot breaker bar. I ended up replacing one stud and one lug nut on each side of the front.

Posts: 4099 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Damn this thread....went to the range today, just a mile or so of gravel road, nothing too rough

On the interstate headed home, low air Came on passenger side rear, by the time I pulled over it was on the rim, something must have came unlodged at speed.

2017 Tacoma with Kevlar wranglers, so much for the Kevlar tires

Only 1500 on the truck, so I should be able to swap the spare on the factory rim, it doesn't look hurt

On the bright side, the jack worked fine on the factory recommended spot,right on axle by the springs

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2914 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoKer86
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
I have a 2001 Tacoma 4x4 king cab. Probably same jack, same problem. Carry a few 2x4's when I travel.

I don't have any issues with my 2001 Prerunner Xtra Cab.

www.sanderstactical.com

Posts: 770 | Location: Gallatin, TN | Registered: December 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check your lug wrench too I had a jeep Cherokee that the factory lug wrench would NOT fit the lug nuts!

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post