SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Peggy Sue, dead at 78
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Peggy Sue, dead at 78 Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Peggy Sue Gerron, who will be forever remembered in association with Buddy Holly because of his song bearing her name, died early Monday at University Medical Center in Lubbock.

She was 78.

Friends in Texas and New Mexico, who particularly knew her as a ham radio enthusiast, remember how fascinated she would be in talking to people she had never met from around the world.

Doug Hutton of Lubbock, who also is an amateur radio operator, said he was one of her friends who helped her get her radio license a decade or so ago.

Bryan Edwards, now living in New Mexico after operating the business called Edwards Electronics in Lubbock, said, “Peggy Sue was always just plain good to people.”

Hutton didn’t remember Peggy Sue from high school.

“She was three years younger than I am,” he said. But he knew her later as a ham radio buff.

“For several years, we had an event every year where it would be publicized within the ham radio community so that people would get on a certain frequency and talk to Peggy Sue,” he said. “That was a great thrill to those people to talk to her.”

Gerron, an Olton native, went to Lubbock High, where she met and dated Jerry “J.I” Allison, who along with Holly was a founding member of the Crickets, according to A-J Media archives.

Her namesake song, which went to No. 3 on the charts for Holly in 1957, was originally titled “Cindy Lou” after Holly’s niece, according to A-J Media archives. The title was changed to “Peggy Sue” - then Allison’s girlfriend - after the couple were briefly broken up.

Gerron and Allison were married through much of the 60s, but later divorced. Gerron went on to Pasadena Junior College in Pasadena, California, becoming a dental assistant. She would re-marry and had two children and multiple grand-children.

“Balancing home with career, she helped her new husband establish a very successful plumbing business and even became the first licensed woman plumber in California,” according to website peggysueonline.com “When the San Francisco earthquake hit in 1989, her plumbing company volunteered the cameras, some of the first ones to be used in plumbing in that area, to check for blockages to go into collapsed areas to look for trapped people.”

The bio on her website states that, in 1978, when the movie, “The Buddy Holly Story” staring Gary Busey came out, “people began asking about whatever had happened to Peggy Sue. Magazines and TV shows were once again interested in the girl behind the song.”

“In 1986, Hollywood tapped into the fame of ‘Peggy Sue’ by adapting Buddy’s ‘Peggy Sue Got Married’ song into a feature film starring Kathleen Turner,” the bio reads.

Edwards remembers that he knew Peggy Sue from Lubbock High School, and in recent years she had asked him about ham radio. “She said, ‘Ive always wanted to be a ham.’

“At the time, I thought it was just a passing comment. Then she said, ‘I want to get a ham license.’

“A couple of other guys and I started helping Peggy, and the result was that she got a ham radio license. In the mid-1990s, we decided we wanted to have a special event station commemorating Lubbock and Buddy Holly, and Peggy would always take a very active part in that. She would come over to my house and spend hours talking to people on the special events station. We might talk to from 1,000 to 1,500 people all around the world during the time commemorating Buddy Holly.

“Peggy would be the one who would be talking to people, and it was fascinating for her to tell stories to those people. When they would mention an association with Buddy Holly, she would immediately have a fantastic comeback. She would share with people from all over the world — it was a really great time.”

Randy Steele of Austin, recalls a music festival 10 years ago in Clovis, New Mexico, when he gave flowers to Peggy Sue on Sept. 7, 2008, then drove 515 miles to Austin, and found an email waiting for him:

She had written in the email, “I wanted to thank you for the roses and tell you that I took them to Buddy’s grave on the very day when I got home. Sept. 7, of course, is his birthday, and Clovis was so wonderful this year that I thought that this closed the circle of love.

“It was not just another festival, it was a spiritual blessing for all.”

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Bless her heart.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19160 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I didn't realize there WAS a "Peggy Sue". Interesting.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Talk about knowing your neighbors, and her neighborhood was pretty large!
Hams do seem to reach out!

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Interestingly enough, as soon as I saw the title to this thread, I knew what it was about. Heck, the song was written in 1957 - 61 years ago. Peggy Sue was just a pup.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
Interestingly enough, as soon as I saw the title to this thread, I knew what it was about. Heck, the song was written in 1957 - 61 years ago. Peggy Sue was just a pup.

Not the only time a 17 yo has inspired.

quote:
Well, she was just 17,
You know what I mean,
And the way she looked was way beyond compare.
So how could I dance with another (ooh)
And I saw her standin' there.
Well she looked at me, and I, I could see
That before too long I'd fall in love with her.
She wouldn't dance with another (whoa)
And I saw her standin' there.
Well, my heart went "boom, "
When I crossed that room,
And I held her hand in mine
Whoa, we danced through the night,
And we held each other tight,
And before too long I fell in love with her.
Now I'll never dance with another (whoa)
Since I saw her standing there
Well, my heart went "boom, "
When I crossed that room,
And I held her hand in mine
Whoa, we danced through the night,
And we held each other tight,
And before too long I fell in love with her.
Now I'll never dance with another (whoa)
Since I saw her standing there

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Love that song.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Then

And much later in life

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16196 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
My son, when he was small, like 8, used to call the song "Peggy Soup".

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Remember Peggy Sue bu not Peggy Sue got married.

Posts: 4409 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
Where the plane went down near Clear Lake, Iowa

The Day the Music Died

The Surf

ROCK 'N ROLL

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post