SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dick’s Sporting Goods Chairman considers Field & Stream closure
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dick’s Sporting Goods Chairman considers Field & Stream closure Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
I’m sure selling $650 glock 19’s in F&S stores has nothing to do with the drop in sales Roll Eyes

Hyperbolic arguments being what they are, no, I’m sure it has something to do with it but isn’t the larger problem. It’s merely symptomatic of it, which is the parent company being being anti-gun and crowing such fact to anyone who would listen. That bit them right in the balls, and pretending that their ridiculous prices on the guns they do sell is in any way, the real issue is perhaps missing the point.

Posts: 17123 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I still remember how they ruined Galyan's over 15 years ago.

Sports Authority put Omni Sports (local place) out of business.
Dick's put Sports Authority out of business.
I hope Dick's goes out of business.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sports Authority also put Gart Brothers out of business in the Denver area; they were good.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I still remember how they ruined Galyan's over 15 years ago.

Galyan's became my choice for quality gear when the local Burger Brothers chain sold to Gander Mountain. Was really disappointed when Galyan's became Dick's...

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1. I fondly remember the Galyan's about 20 miles from me about that timeframe. Then it became Dick's and mostly team sports and golf stuff up on the second floor.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:

Sports Authority also put Gart Brothers out of business in the Denver area; they were good.

Gart's and TSA merged. The Gart family was more interested in real estate than being a retailer. Their properties and leases at each of the ski resorts was hugely profitable for them.

TSA tried to out-do Big 5 when it came to bottom feeding sporting goods retailers, which they lost. Part of Dick's (DSG) westward expansion including buying Galyan's, who over extended themselves with their mega-stores. DSG announced their arrival in Denver when they were awarded the naming rights to the soccer stadium in Commerce; a big F-U to Denver-based TSA. TSA went Ch.11 and DSG was awarded TSA's name and IP rights at auction, talk about ownage. DSG continued west buying long-time SoCal sporting goods retailer Chick's and buying-out the property leases of PacNW chain GI Joe's/Joe's who filed Ch.11.

My world would improve if DSG would go away. Their Field & Stream stores were dumb, and the subsequent business decisions they made with regard to gun control followed along with dumb decision making.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A big Dicks and F&S combo store recently opened near me. It's in an affluent area, I'm sure it cost a fortune to build. I guess the geniuses anticipated that they might have to close it a year after its built.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3532 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
I would hope the closings and the large chain sporting goods stores that will stop selling firearms would help the few remaining local brick and mortar gun shops with a few increased sales.

Posts: 1955 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I've been in Dick's Sporting Goods stores a grand total of two (2) times, I believe. Bought nothing, either time.

The second time I found an item I really liked. A jacket. It was really sharp and fit me like a glove. Didn't need it, but I wanted it. It was the end of the season and the only one they had. Price was still high. Asked the sales droid if they could negotiate. "Nope." Ok, bye.

Neither of the two times I was in that store was the parking lot particularly busy, IIRC.

What I don't understand is why their stockholders aren't up in arms. I'd be seriously annoyed.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I believe that big box sporting goods stores cater to the "weekend warrior" and ignorant gym rat.

I used to shop at Sports Authority for running gear until I became an expert in running (true, but another story). My shopping behavior then shifted to the specialty stores where knowledgeable people work and can evaluate, advise, and recommend.

Dick's is totally bereft of knowledgeable, helpful people. Those who work there that have a grain of knowledge quickly leave, since their expertise is not rewarded.

So, the Dick's and Field & Streams and the like are ill-equipped to serve the knowledgeable customer. Want a gun? You might find display guns in the shelves, but you aren't going to get the best advice (but there's always an exception: I was shopping for a shotgun, and the guy at Dick's was quite helpful. They didn't have what I wanted, but he was able to explain the differences between makes and models. I doubt he still works there).

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Expectations of knowledgeable, expert advice at a big box, national chain store that likely at best pays minimum wage, maybe a dollar or two above that?

Mind blown.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
There's nothing I can get at Dick's that I can't get somewhere else. Cheaper.

In the Pittsburgh area Dicks is really the only sportings good store around. There are a few pathetic Dunhams stores which have a small fraction of what Dicks have. I have seen walmarts that have a better hunting and fishing section than Dunhams.

I guess dicks think selling Under Armour is going to pay all the bills.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Just change the name to Dickless

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
quote:
There's nothing I can get at Dick's that I can't get somewhere else. Cheaper.

In the Pittsburgh area Dicks is really the only sportings good store around. There are a few pathetic Dunhams stores which have a small fraction of what Dicks have. I have seen walmarts that have a better hunting and fishing section than Dunhams.

Pittsburgh is the home of DSG, considering their practices in other markets, makes sense to dominate and crush any and all in your home market. Their principal vendor partners are, Nike, UA, Adidas, Titlist, Wilson, Top Flite, Asics, and their own house brands.

DSG makes their money on apparel, footwear and golf. Every one of those channels, the majority of products are SMU's (Special Make Units which are detuned versions of in-line products to adhere to a specific price-point). They are relying on the impressionable and ignorant American consumer which include gym-rats, house-moms, teenagers and dismissive no-nothing's. This is a group that has zero-understanding of quality and value, seeing a 20-25% sale as being a good deal. Not understanding that such mark-downs are made-up by vendor promotions to secure market share and the retailer takes zero margin hit.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
corsair, you seem to know an awful lot about marketing...

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
DSG makes their money on apparel, footwear and golf. Every one of those channels, the majority of products are SMU's (Special Make Units which are detuned versions of in-line products to adhere to a specific price-point). They are relying on the impressionable and ignorant American consumer which include gym-rats, house-moms, teenagers and dismissive no-nothing's. This is a group that has zero-understanding of quality and value, seeing a 20-25% sale as being a good deal. Not understanding that such mark-downs are made-up by vendor promotions to secure market share and the retailer takes zero margin hit.

I heard recently that Nike pulled their SMU's from Dick's.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:

One of the reasons Dicks stock took a hit UA is now selling in the Kohl's chain and less than what Dick's marks it at. That was a huge blow. I bought much of my UA gear their over the years at top dollar.

https://www.kohls.com/catalog/...&pfm=browse%20refine

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
corsair, you seem to know an awful lot about marketing...

20+ years of wholesale sales in the outdoor industry, seen a lot.
quote:
I heard recently that Nike pulled their SMU's from Dick's.

I'd be very surprised, perhaps certain categories but, Nike need's DSG for their mid-low tier segmentation.
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
quote:

One of the reasons Dicks stock took a hit UA is now selling in the Kohl's chain and less than what Dick's marks it at. That was a huge blow. I bought much of my UA gear their over the years at top dollar.

https://www.kohls.com/catalog/...&pfm=browse%20refine

Kohl's has been selling UA for 2+ years now. Kohl's is a big discounter, the last of the department stores. Playing in that market you need to have a focused segmentation, and an air-tight sales strategy. The public generally knows UA for it's basketball, women's apparel and hunting collections, beyond that they pale in comparison to Nike and Adidas in public understanding in segmentation.

posted Hide Post
I was annoyed when they make a big stink about NO MORE AR-15's. But hey, it's their business.

When the actively payed gun banning lobbiests, I said: I'M DONE.

F them. Sooner they go under the better. They can take REI with them. Don't go there again ever. F them and their anti-gun bs as well.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post