SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ‘Goodbye my brother’: A Marine’s loving sendoff for the cancer-stricken dog who saved him
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

‘Goodbye my brother’: A Marine’s loving sendoff for the cancer-stricken dog who saved him Login/Join 
posted
The evening sky was thick with dark gray clouds.
There were three volleys of rifle fire. Then silence. A bugler sounded the lonely notes to “Taps.”

As friends and fellow patriots saluted, Jeff DeYoung carried his best friend Cena, a hardened Marine combat veteran like his owner, past the crowd of well-wishers as they boarded a decommissioned Navy ship in Muskegon, Mich. It was there on Wednesday where the black lab, lame with bone cancer, was euthanized.
He was 10....

Rest of the story:

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.7026eca2a817

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5158 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Good boy Cena

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
This made me cry. Frown

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
What a moving tribute to an outstanding four legged Marine.
RIP Cena.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great dog and great person. Almost made me cry.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I was going to post this, but I figured it would just make everyone's screen go blurry. A sad but beautiful story.

I loved the dress blues on the dog.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
A sad but beautiful story.

This sums it up well. There are some who would think this sort of thing is a little much for a dog. I have a seven year old Labrador that is my hunting and outdoor adventure buddy that I am closer to than any person, other than my immediate family. I can only imagine the bond one would have with a dog he was in combat with.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5158 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Would love to read the story, but the wapo has it blocked unless I subscribe or some such crap.

But, then again, I don't need my screen to go completely blurry, again. It is starting now.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I read it a few minutes ago on another forum, and yes, my screen got blurry.

RIP Cena.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When a dog dies does he go to heaven? If not where do they go and can I go there? Great but sad story.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting that. Great story. A good morning cry.

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
RIP Cena

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Many don't grasp the bond. For those of us who do, may God bless Cena for being what he was.

I also found this video showing the outpouring of the local community which I thought was great.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Rest In Peace, Marine.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Many don't grasp the bond. For those of us who do, may God bless Cena for being what he was.

I also found this video showing the outpouring of the local community which I thought was great.

Thanks, BD. Not a dry eye in the house right now.

RIP Marine, and, Good Dog.

tac

Posts: 11315 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
One of gods best gifts to mankind.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post