SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tarrant County woman sentenced to five years in prison for illegally voting in 2016
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tarrant County woman sentenced to five years in prison for illegally voting in 2016 Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
FORT WORTH
A judge sentenced a Rendon woman to five years in prison Wednesday for voting illegally in the 2016 presidential election while she was on supervised release from a 2011 fraud conviction.

Crystal Mason, 43, waived her right to a jury trial and chose to have state District Judge Ruben Gonzalez assess her sentence.

J. Warren St. John, her defense attorney, said after the verdict was rendered that an appeal had already been filed and he is hopeful his client will soon be released on bond.

"I find it amazing that the government feels she made this up," St. John told the court. "She was never told that she couldn't vote, and she voted in good faith. Why would she risk going back to prison for something that is not going to change her life?"

During her testimony, Mason — who served just shy of three years in federal prison — told the court that she was assigned a provisional ballot after she arrived at her usual polling place and discovered that her name was not on the voter roll.

Gonzalez, who questioned Mason during her testimony, asked why she did not thoroughly read the documents she was given at the time.

The form you are required to sign to get the provisional ballot is called an affidavit, Gonzales told Mason. "There's a legal connotation to that, right?" Gonzales asked.

Mason responded that she was never told by the federal court, her supervision officer, the election workers or U.S. District Judge John McBryde, the sentencing judge in her fraud case, that she would not be able to vote in elections until she finished serving her sentence, supervised release included. She also said she did not carefully read the form because an election official was helping her.

During cross-examination by Tarrant County prosecutor Matt Smid, Mason was reminded that she had jeopardized her freedom in the past by violating federal tax laws.

Sacrificing her freedom to vote was not something she would knowingly do, Mason told Gonzales.

"I inflated returns," Mason said. "I was trying to get more money back for my clients. I admitted that. I owned up to that. I took accountability for that. I would never do that again. I was happy enough to come home and see my daughter graduate. My son is about to graduate. Why would I jeopardize that? Not to vote. ... I didn't even want to go vote."

Mason was taken to jail after the conclusion of her trial on Wednesday as a chorus of small children leaving the courtroom waved and said, "Bye-bye, Big Mama."

Mason, who was known as Crystal Mason-Hobbs at the time, pleaded guilty to fraud in 2011. As part of her plea agreement, she was ordered to pay $4.2 million in restitution, according to court documents.

The fraud charge stemmed from a tax preparation business Mason and her ex-husband, Sanford Taylor Hobbs III, owned and operated in Everman in which they submitted inflated tax refunds to the Internal Revenue Service on behalf of clients.

Mason later divorced her husband, who received a similar sentence after he also pleaded guilty. Mason testified Wednesday that she has remade herself since her release from prison, including getting a degree in a new field and getting a new job.

She had gone to vote at her mother's insistence and brought her driver's license as identification, according to her testimony. When poll workers could not find her name on the list of registered voters, Mason said, she obtained a provisional ballot and was coached through the process by a worker.

Mason testified that she did not remember the form saying anything about people on supervised release being prohibited from voting.

To register to vote in Texas, a person must be 18 and a U.S. citizen and cannot be a convicted felon or have been declared mentally incapacitated by a court. In Texas, convicted felons can have their voting privileges restored after fully completing their sentences.

The Tarrant County case of Rosa Maria Ortega, a 37-year-old Grand Prairie mother of four who had a green card, drew national attention. Convicted of voting illegally, she received a sentence of eight years in prison for voting in the 2012 general election and the 2014 Republican primary runoff.

This report includes material from the Star-Telegram archives.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/n...9.html#storylink=cpy

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
In CA, they would count her vote twice. Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why would I jeopardize that? Not to vote. ... I didn't even want to go vote."

and yet you did, you did go vote......

Posts: 23433 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
As far as I know you are supposed to present your voter registration card AND a government issued photo ID to vote here in Texas. While they will let you vote based on the ID alone, it’s with the provisional ballot. So not having a registration card might should have told her something, since those are issued yearly.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
While ignorance of the law is no excuse, I think that five years in prison is a bit much. Taxpayers supporting her to the tune of ~$150K for those five years kind of rubs me the wrong way.

Give her one year, at labor, and perhaps a $10K fine. I think that that would be enough to both punish her and deter others.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
sweet

the first of hopefully many - prosecute them all, and I'm in favor of building additional prisons in Alaska to house them

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
I’ve arrested her in the past. That’s all I can comment on.

Posts: 1964 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
As far as I know you are supposed to present your voter registration card AND a government issued photo ID to vote here in Texas. While they will let you vote based on the ID alone, it’s with the provisional ballot. So not having a registration card might should have told her something, since those are issued yearly.
The way it's always happened with me is when I don't have the card, I present my ID and then my name is checked on record (this time, it was electronic record, in the past, it was on a printed and bound log).

Posts: 5755 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
As part of her plea agreement, she was ordered to pay $4.2 million in restitution, according to court documents.

Just curious, how much of that has she paid back?

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2082 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Colorado, Steve Curtis, Chairman of the CO Republican Party was convicted of voter fraud for forging his ex wife's signature in 2016. WTF was he thinking? BTW, he was sentenced to probation and 300 hours of community service. Hmmm

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
IMO, voter fraud is only a tiny step away from actual, classic-sense treason. Seeking to overthrow the legitimate government of the United States, except not having the balls to do it by force, and using fraud and subterfuge instead. Treat them as spies.

I don't see five years as nearly enough.

Side note, every federal plea colloquy I've ever sat through included the judge painstakingly establishing that the defendant knew about the nasty possible consequences of pleading guilty to a felony, including firearms disability, voting prohibitions, ineligibility for jury service or elected office, immigration consequences, etc. No way this woman DIDN'T know about this.

Posts: 2462 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
and in Texas, they always do stuff 'bigger' so 5-years seems like a good start

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Steed:
quote:
As part of her plea agreement, she was ordered to pay $4.2 million in restitution, according to court documents.

Just curious, how much of that has she paid back?

The same amount all those types of people pay back to their victims.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8675 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post