SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any shed antler hunters here?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any shed antler hunters here? Login/Join 
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted
I know it is a week or two early, but a year ago during the first week of January I took our 4 1/2 year old son out into the wooded 100+ acre city park behind our house and find a great matched pair of freshly dropped antlers. A nice 10 pointer, the pair sitting right next to each other and fresh. We went out a couple more times in the month or two afterwards, but didn't find anything else.

We are currently above freezing for the first time in maybe a month with some snow on the ground. I'm hoping to take the now 5 1/2 year old and our 3 1/2 year old daughter out this afternoon. If we don't find anything, we'll at least see where the deer go and burn off some of their cabin fever.

Anybody else love doing this?

Posts: 2504 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I'm out in the woods quite often down here, sometimes I find dropped antlers but never a matched pair and usually have been chewed on.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
North central MT here. I feed about a dozen whitetails when the weather gets really tough on them. I throw out a few slices of hay in the afternoon. By morning EVERY morsel is gone.

Yesterday found my first shed in the yard. And one of the little bucks has one horn gone as well. So it's starting here.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10 November, 1775
Picture of MarinetoRN
posted Hide Post
Yep. Comparing what i find to what I've seen on trailcams or on the hoof kind of gives me an idea of the one's that were not taken during the hunting season.

SiGArm'd

P220ST X2, 1911 Revolution, P245, P229 RTTEQ/ST .40 X2, P226ST, Mosquito
Other weaponry not SIG

Glocks are ugly.
I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders.

Posts: 2471 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: August 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We didn't find any today, which wasn't too surprising since it is early. However, we found their bedding area in the snow, so we have some hot spots to look at in the future. Our 3 1/2 year old daughter got burnt out halfway through and wasn't fond of the twigs and grass. Our 5 1/2 year old didn't mind it much and had much more energy on tap than her and more than last year. Maybe they picked up some on me talking about tracking, finding bird poop, etc. Hopefully they will both sleep easily tonight.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
My dog Lady is anxious to get started again. It is a little too early now...

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1857 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Haven't done it but it sounds like a GREAT excuse to get in a nice walk in the woods.
Gotta call my friend that lives 2 miles away from an excellent elk area.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sure. Nice way to get out and enjoy the outdoors.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I have found a few on my place. Never actively hunted them, though.
Now I have another excuse for a jaunt along the fencelines.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Haven't been in awhile but this guy had a good run our first and only time out. We trained of course.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
Just came back from my buddy’s camp in north FL. Saw a 4 and 5pt walking around. Down here they usually shed in beginning of February.

Posts: 1312 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, we don't have dogs. I know they are used to find them though. Do you just walk with them and they chomp them up? Alert on them? To those starting out, it seems your best bet is to look at bedding areas, places where deer have to jump (fence, creek beds, etc.), along trails, south sides of hills.

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I haven't had the chance to go looking in a while. I need to start turning pens again and antler can make some nice ones.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Don't have any pics but my dog is in the back hauling up drops all the time. He's tracked down some pretty decent racks.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anybody have any luck yet this year? I took our son out again this morning to burn off cabin fever because we are in the 40s now. Filled a grocery bag full of trash, traced plenty of tracks and traversed many southern slopes but came up empty handed. Did encounter 4 deer at roughly 20 yards though. Some looked like bucks that have already shed. Since it is a city park, they really weren't too worried about us.

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Antlers are a great chew for most dogs. They don’t chip or splinter, they just wear down over time.

Make sure you sterilize them just to be safe.

Antlers sell in the pet store for $60.00 a pound. Eek

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I search but never have any luck.

My tractor tires always find them.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
We’ve got 4 or 5 bucks dining in our yard twice a day, and hanging out in Indian country, with trees, scrub brush, cacti and rocks on the property. A couple of them have magnificent antlers.

They ought to at least drop their horns on the front steps, don’t you think?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post