SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Butcher Cut recommendation (beef)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Butcher Cut recommendation (beef) Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
We're getting half a cow from my parents' farm (Dexter beef, about 200lbs worth).

I've never ordered my own cut style before. I know usually it's a LOT of hamburger no matter how you do it, but I was going to see if there was anything I should avoid or ask for, from those that do this thing commonly.

Appreciate any advice!

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11441 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Not sure what your asking but I guess it depends on what cuts you want.
I watched this vid a while back and perhaps too much to watch all the way through but it describes how the cow is butchered and the cuts it produces.
Obviously steaks, brisket, pachina is a fantastic cut I learned from Guga Foods (Youtube) and whatever else you like.

Look at a cut chart or check out this video.

Posts: 22825 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If your getting 1/2 a cow you are getting all the cuts of beef.

Here is a picture of what comes from where.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/...sket-and-more-995304

You can ask who is butchering it to make the different meats in various sizes.

There was a restaurant around here called the hilltop. It had a huge retail butcher shop in the back.

Picture a bunch of bandsaws lined up in a row for cutting.

You would tell them how much meat you wanted in what cut.

I used to order ribeyes and sirloins in 1" steaks.

Here is what it looks like off the cow.

https://www.finedininglovers.c...-different-cuts-beef

Bon appetite

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I don't have a whole lot of experience, but if I was doing it again I would be sure to specify how I wanted my steaks cut. They were all cut pretty thin, and I would rather have had the whole roast in some cases. The brisket was cut into ~4 lb sections, and I would much rather have had the whole thing.

I would also be sure to specify if you want any specific cuts that might not be common in your area. Things like tri-tip/picanha, full plate ribs, tomahawk steaks, and some others aren't usually cut around here, so you would want to ask for them specifically if you want to try them.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3503 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Specify the size of steaks you want from each section.....IE ribeye's cut at 16 ounces, filet mignon 8 ounce steaks.......etc. etc.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
If your getting 1/2 a cow you are getting all the cuts of beef.

Here is a picture of what comes from where.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/...sket-and-more-995304

You can ask who is butchering it to make the different meats in various sizes.

There was a restaurant around here called the hilltop. It had a huge retail butcher shop in the back.

Picture a bunch of bandsaws lined up in a row for cutting.

You would tell them how much meat you wanted in what cut.

I used to order ribeyes and sirloins in 1" steaks.

Here is what it looks like off the cow.

https://www.finedininglovers.c...-different-cuts-beef

Bon appetite

decent website,

some inaccuracies in the text but the chart at the bottom is better,

one thing, don't think sirlion tip, or tri tip is a tru sirlion, it is actually called a Knuckle in meat shops, and is part of the round, (kinda connects the round to the sirloin)

in standard butcher terms, you should get one primal of each,

rear 1/4

Top round (inside)
Bottom round (flat)
Eye Round
Sirloin or Round Tip (knuckle)

Sirloin
Loin (porterhouse and Tbone if you leave the tenderloin on,, or pull it off and have a bone in or boneless strip
tenderloin (see above)

front quarter

Ribeye (bone in or boneless, rack of ribs if off)
you will get a cap off that ribeye,, good eats
chuck roast (be sure to get the chuck eyes off, use the rest for flanken or boneless ribs and burger)
shoulder roast
front shank

you may get a skirt or not, and should get a flank

the chuck , break it down into a chuck roast(s) and use the neck end for burger,
it should also have a mock tender, and what we called a Chicken, which will or should be cut into 2 flat irons,

on the shoulder, save th bone for broth , and do the main part as a roast, there is a muscle called a pectorial that is good for just about anything (very lean) and have the somewhat gristly bits around the bone ground up,

if you get picky, and if the butcher is willing, you can have him separate the trim by area, and have ground chuck, ground round, and ground sirlion,

but honestly, just tell him you want a good lean (85%) burger,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10403 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
They were all cut pretty thin, and I would rather have had the whole roast in some cases. The brisket was cut into ~4 lb sections, and I would much rather have had the whole thing.

Absolutely that. Even if you're going to cut before freezing, you can cut some proper thickness steaks and keep a rib roast, etc. if wanted.

4# brisket? Where the hell is that, Canada? That's sacrilege.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12339 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Tell them for example you prefer cuts to ground when possible. Do you want liver, heart, tripe etc. better let them know. How thick for steaks and how many per pkg. heavy on the roasts or more steaks. Fatty burger or lean.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5128 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
They were all cut pretty thin, and I would rather have had the whole roast in some cases. The brisket was cut into ~4 lb sections, and I would much rather have had the whole thing.

Absolutely that. Even if you're going to cut before freezing, you can cut some proper thickness steaks and keep a rib roast, etc. if wanted.

4# brisket? Where the hell is that, Canada? That's sacrilege.

I really can't explain the logic. It looks like two halves of the point, and two halves of the flat.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3503 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Obviously steaks, brisket, pachina...

I just googled it and don't ask for the pachina. Ask for the picanha.

Posts: 10784 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:

I was wondering if smschulz was going to correct that. hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16132 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I would get Brazilian cut picanha!!

Posts: 3482 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
quote:

I was wondering if smschulz was going to correct that. hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Yeah, yeah, you know what I mean. Smile

Posts: 22825 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
quote:

Yeah, yeah, you know what I mean. Smile

One of the best ever "slip ups" in recent years. Congrats! lololololololololololololololololol

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16132 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
There is some good information in this thread. We purchase 1/2 beef every season from a friend who is a farmer. If you are so inclined, you might also be able to get liver, the heart and the tongue. Beef tongue tacos are delicious (tacos de lengua).

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8508 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Tri-Tip, both roasts and steaks. Trust me on this, you've got to try it.

I just learned of this recently and it's turned into my favorite beef taste experience.

I was in the grocery a few hours ago and they were completely out of it, yet had plenty of every other cut of beef steaks.

I split the grill for full hot and the other side indirect. I sear it just enough to get a nice sear, then I move it to the indirect side. When my Thermapen indicates 130-135 I pull it off the grill.

Mighty fine eating. Try it.

Posts: 11805 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post