SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    We lost a daughter
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We lost a daughter Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
Quite a while back Steve (P 220) started a thread asking if anyone had experience with Huntington’s Disease. I’m normally a very private person but this time I shared part of my personal life by talking about my wife and daughter both having Huntington’s.

My daughter finally lost her fight with it on the 29th of last month. I was able to be with her for the last couple hours of her life and was holding her hand when she passed away. While it hurt, I’ve been beating myself up for it not hurting more than it did but finally realized losing her was nowhere near as painful as watching her degress from a happy, active and vibrant young woman into a vegetative state in just a few short years. I watched her lose her husband, home, kids and finally her dignity. I’ve heard people say after someone has passed away that “they are in a better place now” and this time, even though it’s my daughter, I will have to agree. I can’t even remember the last time I saw her smile.

I can never tell whether or not my wife can understand what I’m saying because of the disease but this time it was evident that she did because of the look of pain she expressed. Thankfully, because of the disease, the information was gone within an hour and she was back to herself again.

The purpose of this post is actually a request for anything, prayers, crossed fingers, good luck or anything else along those lines for her two daughters. Each one of those beautiful girls have a 50/50 chance of having this horrible disease.

There’s two promising treatments in early research right now and if either one works out it should be available in time for them should they have it. One stops the progression of the disease and the other would actually be a cure.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry hear about your daughter; a prayer has been sent your way.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I am so sorry for your loss olfuzzy Frown

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
I'm terribly sorry for your loss. What an awful thing to have to experience.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While it's horrible to lose a child, knowing they aren't suffering is comforting.

Posts: 7017 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I wish you the best I can, although I know it is small comfort.

Good luck to you in finding some peace and way forward.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
very sorry about that news.

prayers for your family and hopes for the new treatments

Posts: 19565 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry for your loss... I can't imagine losing a child. Mine are still youngsters so I can't directly relate. I'll just acknowledge your request and keep you grandkids in my prayers/thoughts.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2673 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nothing can be Something
Picture of greybeard9
posted Hide Post
My thoughts are with you and your family.

"In the age of madness, to expect to be untouched by madness is a form of madness." - Saul Bellow

Posts: 1063 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Please accept my heartfelt condolences. Prayers for the daughters living long, healthy lives.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12714 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
Very sorry for your loss.
I can't even imagine losing a child..

Posts: 4359 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Thoughts and Prayers...

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Damn, man.

I am so sorry.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
I am very sorry to hear of your loss.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I cannot imagine a more horrible situation to live through....loosing a child, no matter the age is unfathomable.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6312 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
You have my prayers and my deepest condolences.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My thoughts are with you and your wife. No parent should outlive their child.

Posts: 2016 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Wow. That's a kick in the nads nobody deserves.

Prayers sent...

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Olfuzzy, I am very sorry to hear of the loss of your daughter and the disease that has your wife in its grip. There are never any good words that can be said to help ease the pain of the loss your family has suffered and is suffering. I will say a prayer for your wife and daughter tonight. And I will say one for you and your family. God bless, and know you have a bunch of people keeping you all in their thoughts and prayers.

I will admit it too, it's not my allergies that are making my eyes well up.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am so sorry for your loss and can only hope that your granddaughters come out on the right side of that terrible coin toss.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post