SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    N.Y. Attorney General Moves to Constrain Trump’s Pardon Power
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

N.Y. Attorney General Moves to Constrain Trump’s Pardon Power Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
New York attorney general Eric Schneiderman is advocating a change to the state’s double-jeopardy laws that would allow him and other local prosecutors to bring charges against individuals pardoned by President Donald Trump, according to a letter he sent to the governor and state legislators Wednesday.

The letter, obtained by the New York Times, makes the case that the double-jeopardy law, which holds that an individual can’t be charged with the same crime twice, should be modified so that Trump aides who escape federal prosecution via a presidential pardon can be charged with the same crime in state court.

The proposal, if approved by state lawmakers and Governor Andrew Cuomo, would cement Schneiderman’s office — which is currently suing the Trump administration in connection with issues ranging from tech policy to environment regulations — as a bulwark of the so-called resistance.

“We are disturbed by reports that the president is considering pardons of individuals who may have committed serious federal financial, tax, and other crimes — acts that may also violate New York law,” Mr. Schneiderman said in a statement provided by his office.

Schneiderman and Trump share a contentious history. Schniederman oversaw the investigation into Trump University, which resulted in a $25 million fine, and Trump responded in characteristic fashion, calling Schneiderman “dopey,” a “lightweight,” and a “loser.”

The Fifth Amendment to the Constitution only prohibits multiple prosecutions at the federal level, but roughly half of the states, including New York, have additional double-jeopardy protections that prohibit state prosecutors from charging a person with the same crime they were exonerated for in federal court.

“New York’s statutory protections could result in the unintended and unjust consequence of insulating someone pardoned for serious federal crimes from subsequent prosecution for state crimes,” Schneiderman writes in his letter, “even if that person was never tried or convicted in federal court, and never served a single day in federal prison.”

Trump, who recently pardoned Scooter Libby — a former aide to Vice President Dick Cheney convicted of perjury, obstruction of justice, and lying to the FBI in connection with the “outing” of CIA agent Valerie Plame — has yet to comment on the move.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
These people sure are triggered by DJT. everywhere you turn someone is trying to change a law or statute to go against him.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1288 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
These people sure are triggered by DJT. everywhere you turn someone is trying to change a law or statute to go against him.

For something that he hasn't done.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15724 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Is this even remotely constitutional?

It is in direct contravention to the 5th Amendment of the Constitution, which, last I checked, can't be superseded without another amendment, nor does this law sound like it would fall under any of the known exceptions to the 5th Amendment double jeopardy provision.

Doesn't this proposed law also single out a class of individuals (i.e. those pardoned by Trump), which would violate the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment? And doesn't that amendment apply specifically to the states so they can't target a class of people--and, indeed, what could only be a handful of people, as opposed to say, "blacks" or "gays"?

I mean, I'm not a lawyer, but this seems egregiously unconstitutional, even for the facists of the left.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Excuse me? Does this mean you'll be charging all of the sbitbags that the previous President pardoned as well?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37991 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
NY state is a synonym for sore loser...

Posts: 13818 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Nothing like changing the rules of the game mid-game when you're losing...

Posts: 13140 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
NY state is giving sore losers an acronym

Screw NY! and their stupid, idiotic corrupt politicians.
These POS's just can't stand that Trump is doing a great job.....much better than NY politicians and many other progressive, liberal ass wipes.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Schneiderman is a piece of shit. Though that may be an insult to shit.

Posts: 21111 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
The pardon power is only as to federal crimes. The President cannot pardon you for state offenses.

The state can prosecute you for offenses in that state. If the same conduct is a federal offense, the Feds can prosecute you as well. Usually, only one or the other does so. But as in the case of the illegal shooting the woman in San Francisco, the state tried the case, now the Feds are trying the defendants on charges arising out of the same activity.

Let’s take the recent pardon of Scooter Libby. That was a conviction for perjury, obstruction of justice and making false statements, all federal crimes. I assume they were commited in DC. New York doesn't have anything to do with this, so they can’t go after Libby.

Michael Flinn pled to lying to FBI, presumably in DC, so none of NY’s business. Michael Cohen might be a different case, if the state had statutes that he violated which occurred in NY. If he were convicted in Federal Court on say, election law violations, Cohen could be pardoned but would still have some exposure to state charges, and the state might proceed to prosecute him right away rather than wait to see about a pardon.

Passing a statue now to criminalize conduct that occurred in the past would run afoul of the dreaded and forbidden ex post facto rules.

I think.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JALLEN,

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Given the immoral, unethical, even criminal behavior of virtually every liberal politico, Schneiderman should be very careful what he's wishing for. That knife could just as easily cut both ways.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Proving once again, the left has no respect for the Constitution.

They are tyrants all - communists.

Posts: 2833 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
The lefty politicians in this state do not deserve the posts they occupy.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snapping Twig:
Proving once again, the left has no respect for the Constitution.

While I think this is bad policy, it does not violate the Constitution. Here is a good explanation of the issue of "double jeopardy," including the concept of " separate sovereigns ":

https://www.heritage.org/const.../148/double-jeopardy

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
New York and California...more important than the Federal Government...at least in their own eyes. They didn’t have any issues with all the pardons handed out by Obama to drug dealers, murderers etc.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post