SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    GPS units that play recorded books?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GPS units that play recorded books? Login/Join 
Picture of Trooperdan
posted
I've found listening to an audio book (ala Audible.com) really helps pass the time on long trips. I currently use a Garmin GPS unit that will store & play these audio files but it is a couple of years old and I'm thinking of a replacement but it seems the few, if any, Garmin GPS units now will play these files. What am I missing here? What is replacing GPS units for playing recorded files? I admit not being very up to date on tech advances these days!

Even my current one it has a problem, it plays through the GPS speaker and doesn't have much volume, I'd like to play through the radio!

Posts: 946 | Location: Raeford NC | Registered: April 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Do you have a smartphone? Why not just play them on that through an aux-in cable to your car radio?

Posts: 33750 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Does your car have an aux in jack?

My car has Ford's Sync, so I hook my iPhone up via USB, and use Spotify to stream music while either Apple Maps or Google Maps provides driving directions. It works great, except when I get a call.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Do you have a smartphone? Why not just play them on that through an aux-in cable to your car radio?

That's what I do.

The Audible smartphone app is great. You can surf, purchase, and listen to new books through it, and it remembers your listening progress across all devices (phones/tablets/computers/etc.). Plus, you can carry it with you and listen to audiobooks wherever you are.

Since they're both Amazon apps, you can even link some Audible audiobook to certain Kindle ebooks (noted as being "Whispersync" compatible), so that it tracks and syncs your progress in both the ebook and audiobook, for times when you want to continue reading the story but can't listen to an audiobook.

Besides, if you have a smartphone, they include GPS maps and directions already, so there's little upside to having a separate GPS unit anyway.

Even if your current car stereo doesn't have Aux In or Bluetooth, to allow you to play audio from your smartphone through the car's audio system, nearly every aftermarket car audio system has one or both of those capabilities.

Posts: 32485 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
As stated, between Amazon Apps and Google Play store, there are apps that will play about anything through a smartphone. I'm taking full advantage of the options now. I can't even imagine what it will like 5 years from now.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Another very happy audible customer here.

Mine play through my vehicle's bluetooth connection. My motorcycle GPS (Nav V) does connect to my phone, and will play through it, but my SENA intercom unit connects to multiple bluetooth sources at a time, so I just connect straight to the phone.

Audio books are the perfect answer to a long ride. I don't listen when in town or traffic, but there are hours of stretches of 2 lane highway where an audible book makes perfect background entertainment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13949 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
For all the Audible fans, you also need to check out the Overdrive app.

It lets you borrow audiobooks and ebooks from public libraries for free. You will have to visit the library one time to get a library card, if you don't already have one, but after that you never need to physically visit the library.

I used to use two credits a month on Audible, but now only use 6 credits a year. If you contact customer service they will put you on a plan to get one credit every other month, instead of one each month.

It's very rare that I can't get the books I want through the library, and I'm saving $186 each year.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
For all the Audible fans, you also need to check out the Overdrive app.

It lets you borrow audiobooks and ebooks from public libraries for free. You will have to visit the library one time to get a library card, if you don't already have one, but after that you never need to physically visit the library.

I used to use two credits a month on Audible, but now only use 6 credits a year. If you contact customer service they will put you on a plan to get one credit every other month, instead of one each month.

It's very rare that I can't get the books I want through the library, and I'm saving $186 each year.
Awesome.

I don't usually have trouble finding books to use my credit for, and often buy books without using the credit. Mostly, because I feel like I'm wasting the credit if the book cost is less than $20.

As a minister...there is never a shortage of books to digest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13949 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I pick books on CD up at the library.

The MP3s do not have as nice tone quality, I do not think, as the CD sets, but they are easier.

The selection is great. A good 4+ to 6+ feet per letter, so that equates to ... I never counted, but I bet it is over 50 shelves of CDs and DVDs.

My ancient iPod does not interact with the USB port, so I have to use USB to charge and audio-in for the audio, which is all a mess. So I skip it. Maybe I'll enter the 2000s by 2020 ..

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Smart phone to your Auxiliary is the way to go.

Doesn't the audio suck from a Garmin ?

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3472 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
BTW, what's better than smartphone to AUX input?

Smartphone through Bluetooth. Wink

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerBook
posted Hide Post
I have a Garmin Monterra that is Android based.

I might be interested in selling to you if you would like.

Posts: 1777 | Location: Ashburn, VA USA | Registered: June 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vulrath:
Does your car have an aux in jack?

My car has Ford's Sync, so I hook my iPhone up via USB, and use Spotify to stream music while either Apple Maps or Google Maps provides driving directions. It works great, except when I get a call.

I purchased a Expedition that has the Ford Synch 3 in it. Amazing the stuff it can do. Sucks you have to use a usb plug in to make the I Phone function with it though. At least Ford made them easily accessible and even cut a notch in the console so your cable isn't pinched.

Audio books are great if your driving alone but my wife and I have a vast difference in subject matter when it comes to reading. I surely wouldn't want to listen to what she reads and vice versa.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I don't use a standalone GPS any more, either. The phone apps have gotten really good, so I just invested in a car charger and a mount.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vulrath:
I missed this before. My work vehicle is a Ford with SYNC. If you play the media off the phone through Bluetooth, things will work great when you get a phone call. Overdrive, Aubible, or other media will pause, and the phone will take priority. You'll get hands free calling, and no problems with the media being played.