SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does anyone carry a window punch?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone carry a window punch? Login/Join 
posted
If you ever find yourself in a situation where you have to break a window to escape (not a car), does anyone have an EDC glass “breaker”. I’m considering a SOG knife that has one in the handle.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve used the spring loaded center punches like Home Depot sells for around $10-20, they work very well at shattering windows but there is a good chance you’ll cut your hand as you use it and the glass breaks but you can’t stop the forward momentum of your hand. But, if you need to use one, that’s probably the least of your worries.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I carry a pistol, a pocket knife and a straight knife. I am pretty confident I could break glass with one of the above if needed.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
I have a RESQME on my keychain, never used it but saw good reviews.

Posts: 5297 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stanley Fatmax Demo wrench and RESQME. I an covered.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15991 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, both front doors have a small closable compartment that a punch with some tape wrapped around it is kept.

Posts: 14552 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Breaking glass with one of the pointy things on the back of a knife is difficult.

I carry and have used a RESQME. I have also used the spring loaded center punches, which work very well.

I would not recommend depending on using anything else that is not spring loaded. You'll probably get it to work, eventually, and with some lacerations.

There are some other tricks, but a spring loaded punch is by far the easiest.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11441 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Buy some of the GTFO wrist straps here. I wear one but have my wife and daughter keep them on the shifter so there’s always one in the car.

http://www.oscardelta.co.uk/REK.html

Posts: 4075 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blueye:

These are very popular. I've seen them in a lot of police cars.

I have one and also carry a Zero Tolorance pen with glass breaker. (It works.)

Posts: 435 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've used a ResQme tool on car windows, and they work great on car windows. I keep one in my tactical gear at work, and in the passenger compartment of every vehicle I drive, both work and personal.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
If not using a punch, remember to hit auto glass at the edge, baton strikes will just bounce off.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11238 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
There was a thread about this a few months ago and I picked up a couple of these for myself and family. I have it mounted just behind the steering wheel within easy reach in case it's ever needed.

linky

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6705 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:
I've used a ResQme tool on car windows, and they work great on car windows. I keep one in my tactical gear at work, and in the passenger compartment of every vehicle I drive, both work and personal.

I keep a RESQME also. It slides into a clip/keeper, with a nice hole in the end. I hang the clip part from my rear view mirror. One yank, and the tool comes free, leaving the clip behind. Very easy deployment within easy reach, and you can slide it right back into the clip for keeping it handy.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
Being near water and crossing many bridges, We carry this rescue hammer in our vehicles

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Car...14da5fbffbda9b9b8766

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4357 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I carry a device called a "Life Hammer" (sold by Amazon), which also has a blade for cutting seat belts.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:
There was a thread about this a few months ago and I picked up a couple of these for myself and family. I have it mounted just behind the steering wheel within easy reach in case it's ever needed.

linky

Just picked up four. Thanks.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20746 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
you have to break a window to escape (not a car)

Spokane228 is specifically asking for a non auto application.

Most of the tools mentioned thus far are geared toward tempered glass or "safety" glass. Laminated glass could cause trouble. Check the auto windows you are intending to break before getting in a pickle.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXYwR3OmOF0

Posts: 3571 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Gruber\ Shoot the glass \Gruber

Posts: 10823 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
quote:
you have to break a window to escape (not a car)

Spokane228 is specifically asking for a non auto application.

Most of the tools mentioned thus far are geared toward tempered glass or "safety" glass. Laminated glass could cause trouble. Check the auto windows you are intending to break before getting in a pickle.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXYwR3OmOF0

Well, just canceled my order. Have to check our vehicles to see if it's tempered.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20746 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Gruber\ Shoot the glass \Gruber

Yep. My pistol has a hammer...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43801 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post