SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does anyone carry a window punch?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone carry a window punch? Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife has one on her key chain and one in the center console.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
If things are so bad that my life depends on self extrication from a car, my Glock 26 will make an excellent glass punch.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15569 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry a Benchmade knife and a Gerber tactical pen, both with glass breakers. But the OP asked about non automotive glass. So lot's of different building glass out there I am sure. Blunt object from inside the building, fire extinguisher or something would probably be best. For those planing on using there pistol, if there is a reason to go through glass, most likely it's a densely populated area and someone is likely within range on the other side of that glass. And if you are going to use your pistol as a hammer, better make sure you don't have one in the chamber!

Posts: 437 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe123:
I carry a Benchmade knife and a Gerber tactical pen, both with glass breakers. But the OP asked about non automotive glass. So lot's of different building glass out there I am sure. Blunt object from inside the building, fire extinguisher or something would probably be best. For those planing on using there pistol, if there is a reason to go through glass, most likely it's a densely populated area and someone is likely within range on the other side of that glass. And if you are going to use your pistol as a hammer, better make sure you don't have one in the chamber!

Same as above, if my foot, a chair, statue, rock, coat rack, etc are not sufficient unto the task.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15569 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Shortly before I retired, I was assisting anther officer on a sovereign citizen guy who wouldn't exit his car during the traffic stop. During the "standoff", the officer finally resorted to trying to break out the passenger window with his expandable baton, which can do it, but it takes a lot to do it.

After he couldn't get the job done with that, I handed him my "LE" knife with the seatbelt cutter and glass breaker point. He whacked on the window again for a while and was finally able to break it.

When I got my knife back, I noticed the glass breaker point had become all rounded from this incident. SO, that anecdote was to point out that if you are going to get a glass breaker, get one with a good reputation of actually working.

Over my LE career, I've found vehicle window difficult to break. If I hadn't retired shortly after the above incident, I would have research and gotten a far better window breaker.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1169 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I have a Booker Cop Tool. It will break a Mercedes window out. I saw a woman who had managed to lock her sleeping baby in the car. The store security guard was trying to break the window with a plastic tool and then a rock to no avail. I offered to try with my Boker tool. She agreed the damages were her responsibility, so I struck the front window on the opposite side from the baby in a corner. It was a one shot break. I am glad I used a pair of gloves when I did it as I had some minor cuts from flying chips on my arm above the glove. But it did break that window and junior slept through the whole thing.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are thinking how to get away from the a problem remember this "plate glass will cut your ass". I have observed entry teams use "Break and Rakes" with great caution and it never fails somebodys will get cut. I have been lucky enough to so though a glass business door and only needed a new uniform. IF I had no other choice, I would use some thrown object like the survivors did with bar stools in the recent Ca. shooting. Big glass comes down like a guillotine when the bottom breaks out. So standing close is a great hazard if you are close. VI

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I could but I don't. Smile

I carry a Boker "cop tool" every day, it comes with one on the end... but I unscrewed it and threw it away after the first few days. Got tired of it jabbing me real quick.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Ahhhh...reading comprehension...my bad.

We deal with this. We train and perform "Vehicle Takedowns" and this is a constant subject.

A spring loaded punch will still shatter the glass, but because of the lamination it won't fall out. I use a punch and then a breacher tool from Countycomm that is sharpened, similar to the Cop Tool above, to get through the laminate.

The fire department will use an axe, piano wire, or a saws-all. We don't have those options generally.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
If you're in a pinch you can try to use the head rest. They are removable and have a nice metal end to break the window with.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Who was our member who punched a passing window with his fist?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12411 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
yes a combination seat belt cutter

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8347 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Who was our member who punched a passing window with his fist?

Orguss

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I have a Benchmade Houdini in each car attached to the driver grab handle.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
This accident from last week has me seriously considering one.

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/372854545-video

I'm not sure if that middle car had the ability to use one, but the thought of being trapped and conscious in that is horrifying.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Oz_Shadow,

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by blueye:
I have a RESQME on my keychain, never used it but saw good reviews.[/QUOTE

Ditto got one for all my peeps to carry. And instructed them on how to use them.

Posts: 4410 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
The Kershaw Barricade looks nice.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post